Scheduled TAH Belly size after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Belly size after hysterectomy Belly size after hysterectomy

Unread 03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Belly size after hysterectomy

My fibroids are 22 weeks and I am curious what will my body look like after surgery. 22 weeks how many pounds have I been carrying? There is so much going on in my head, question which may seem vain, but I am so scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Re: Belly size after hysterectomy

Everyone's innards rearrange differently after surgery. Many people have a swelly belly for several months that comes and goes. I may be a little unusual, but at 3 weeks, I can tell my belly has gotten flatter ... and I'm lovin' it! But it's as jiggley as jello. My uterus was about 4 x 4 inches, 14oz. I thought it would weigh more. But I'm just so glad I don't look 4 mos. pregnant anymore.
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM

My fibroid (one monster) caused my uterus to be 16 weeks in size so I had a TAH almost a week ago now. So far I have not noticed any difference on the scale (I had to check on day 4 LOL) but I am hoping to once the swelling goes down some more. I have noticed that I no longer have the lump poking out to the right of my belly button which is nice and makes my tummy seem flatter to me already! I have not tried on real clothes yet and am just wearing stretchy lounge wear in a size too big so they are extra comfy.
You still have several months until your procedure so I will try to update this thread in a few more weeks and let you know when I see a difference in weight and when my real clothing starts to fit again. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM

I am 10 days post op and decided to try the scale and my old jeans today. I am down 7 pounds on the scale and my jeans and other pants that fit me prior to surgery fit me. I haven't tried my pants that became too tight over the last year yet. I may pull those down and give them a shot next week. My uterus was only 400 grams (70 grams is normal according to my doc) so much of the weight loss may very well be due to my reduced diet and tons of water over the last week.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM

i had this same question mines measuring at 10weeks my surgery is april 13th
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM

I lost a little, but now I'm seven pounds heavier. But that's because, I have completely stopped walking unlike in the first two weeks after surgery.

But my stomach is doing pretty good. My external swelling went away somewhere between the third and fourth weeks; the internal swelling is here any time I over do it, but, I don't know if you can see that, but, you can always feel it , it hurts badly.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:48 PM

In terms of clothes I am purchasing sweat pants a size larger than I wear now. Should I opt for something else. With a swollen belly I do not want to make things worse
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:16 AM

Soft and comfortable was the most important thing for me. Starting with underwear, I bought larger cheap cotton undies and 3 really soft, silky expensive ones. I can't stand to put on the scratchy cheap ones. They just become one more irritant. It's also nice to feel feminine after surgery.

I also splurged on cute knit pajamas that looked decent enough to wear all day, and a robe. (Again, I was feeling a need to be feminine and wear something besides my old t-shirt/pjs.) It helped to have a robe for when people came over. I'd throw it on. It's a visual, so people won't see you up and around and think you're all healed. (That was a tip I got on here--stay in your pajamas the first week or two! It helps your family remember, and it even helped me to remember to take it easy.)

I'm one of the lucky ones. My tummy didn't swell too much after surgery and is now a little smaller than pre-surgery. But I still gravitate towards my clothes with the biggest, most comfortable waistbands. I wear sweats, knit leggings or pajamas at home, and a loose skirt or sundress/jumper when I have to go out and look decent.

Your surgery is in July? And you will need sweats?
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM

shortnsweet2 has some very good advise.
I picked up loungewear in a size bigger than I usually wear (usually a xs or s so grabbed mediums) for around the house. They were never tight on my belly and are now quite loose. I noticed other ladies post that during the warmer months, like july, a sundress is the no waistband cute clothes answer. So, yeah, what shortnsweet2 said. LOL
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM

I am going today to our local outlet mall to see about sun dresses, pj, robe, and panties. I know it seems as if I am rushing things but I work 50+ and I am single in every aspect. I am trying to having everything I can done so when the time is here and my parents come in I can rest and not have to send my dad out for anything of a personal nature.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register