Drs say take out cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Drs say take out cervix Drs say take out cervix

Unread 03-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Drs say take out cervix

I have seen 2 gynaeoncologists (due to complex surgery, not cancer), both have advised that I should have my cervix removed when I have my hysterectomy because:
Women often continue to have mini periods
It is a more difficult operation to have the cervix removed at a later date.
The cervix has no bearing on sexual enjoyment
The cervix has no role as a supportive structure, eg., for bladder.

Is this true?
My sex life is very important to myself and my husband and I am very worried about this. I am very keen to hear of other women's experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Re: Drs say take out cervix

I am only 4 days post op...so I can not comment on the sex since that is a long time away! However, my dr also explained that he usually takes the cervix out at the same time. Difficult to do a second time around and can present complications. While my recovery is going well...I would not want to do this twice! Good luck with your decision...if you search this subject here I am sure you'll find lots of info.
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:34 AM

There are many threads on this topic with plenty of advice. Here's mine: I had a dVh/BSO 10/20/11. My recovery followed that of almost all the ladies. Sex was enormously important for me as well. Even with the disgusting bleeding and pain from my 20 day periods, our sex life was really good with fantastic orgasms. Post op, sex is stupendous! My orgasms are more intense, easier to come by and now come in multiples! I'm on HRT and have not regretted once my decision to remove cervix or ovaries. I have healed well, lost almost 35lbs and have more energy than I've had since high school. Heavy bleeding from multiple fibroids, cysts, and polyps brought me to the hyster. There was no way I was going to risk mini periods or PMS symptoms associated with keeping my cervix and ovaries let alone the potential for cancer and more surgery in the future. I needed each of the six weeks of recovery. Pain was easily controlled with narcs for 5 days then to ibuprofen after that. Fatigue was the enemy even up to 12 weeks, but after 5/6 weeks, the fatigue lessened each week. I can only think of one sister who had a lessened sexual experience since her hyster. I'm praying that with time, her situation will improve for her and that she will be happy again. In my opinion, you'll do great! Take care : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 08:00 AM

This has been a huge concern for me as well. Since they found low level mild grade lesions on my cervix, I want it taken out at the same time. I do NOT want to have to do the biopsies and colposcopies that I have experienced lately again and with the very high risk of things deciding to change and grow/spread requiring more surgery. With that said, I have been very worried about the after effects on my sex life. This is my second marriage, but I have barely been married a year and dangit, I reaaalllyyy like the sex life part too!

My thought is that after this is over we are going to be sharing our stories of how everything is just fine and dandy with all the new people to help them through their fears on this same thing.
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:46 AM

My doc said to take my cervix for literally the EXACT same reasons yours stated. I had a Da Vinci hysterectomy on 1-31.. Have one ovary remaining.. Basically had a text book recovery even though some say taking cervix poses longer recovery time..

I did not want any chance of a mini period even if it was a tiny amount of blood after going through this surgery. I also had my hysterectomy for fibroids and my doctor advised that if I left the cervix the fibroids could grow into that since the uterus and cervix are one organ, not two..

Doc also said cervix is the size of a medium button and could not hold anything of signifigant weight up. And that a hysterectomy in general (removal of uterus) poses risks of pro lapse.. Not because you take the cervix..

Doc also said hands down if it had to come out years later it was a more complicated surgery..

I can say my orgasms are more intense and easy to achieve.. So much better. I personally did not have painful sex prior to my surgery so I was very nervous that my sexual life would change.. I actually liked my cervix getting "bumped" during sex..

It is a tough decision at best. Especially with so many opinions around out there about taking the cervix vs leaving it.. You have to go with what you feel is right for you.. Good luck with your decision..
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundee View Post
I have seen 2 gynaeoncologists (due to complex surgery, not cancer), both have advised that I should have my cervix removed when I have my hysterectomy because:
Women often continue to have mini periods
It is a more difficult operation to have the cervix removed at a later date.
The cervix has no bearing on sexual enjoyment
The cervix has no role as a supportive structure, eg., for bladder.
If you keep your cervix, you will have a mini period only if you keep one or both ovaries. If you have your ovaries removed and keep your cervix, you will not have a mini period.
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:42 AM

It's interesting how Drs have different opinions about this. Mine told me it did offer support for the pelvic floor and other organs. I told her unless it needs to come out, leave it. I personally see no reason to remove something just because, but that's just me. My Dr also told me there was a small chance I would have spotting each month, since I'm leaving my ovaries. Getting rid of the heavy cramping and bleeding is my goal, so I'm not concerned about possible mini periods each month...again that is just me. For every 10 Drs that tell you to remove it, there's 10 that will tell you not to. In the end it's up to you. Best of luck to you.
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:54 AM

I know.. It is mind boggling. Even doctors opinions to the recovery period.. Some say 2 weeks and some say 2 months for the exact procedure.. Very annoying..
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:56 AM

My DR and I decided on keeping the cervix because: why remove something that is healthy? (mine was), mini periods are few if cauterized (my mini periods are a touch of blood as I wipe once a month), there is much less bleeding during surgery if the cervix is kept, it can be easily removed at a later date if deemed necessary, it makes for a somewhat easier recovery.

I went into my hysterectomy experience with the intent to remove all (somewhat of a clean sweep one could say) but with the information gathered here and my DR's advice changed my course. I made my decision and have not looked back.

I think part of a good outcome is mental. One needs to be at peace with one's chosen path and "know" it's the "right" thing to do. I wish that for all of the sisters beginning this journey.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register