Scheduled dVH/RALH Leg pain/numbness from fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leg pain/numbness from fibroids? Leg pain/numbness from fibroids?

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Leg pain/numbness from fibroids?

Hi Everyone, I've been having pain in the back of my left leg (knee/above knee area in the back) for several months and have recently started to experience on- and of-again numbness in that leg--sort of like the leg going to sleep, but a mild version of that. I had an ultrasound done last month because my PCP wanted to check to make sure there was no clot/embolism, etc. The ultrasound was clear and the technician said it could be something affecting the nerves and to just take anti-inflammatories, and stretch before exercising, etc.

I recently found out I'm anemic (no surprise there) and that anemia can cause "restless leg" tingling, but that's not exactly what I'm feeling. I happened to Google "leg pain/numbness and fibroids" yesterday and lo and behold a bunch of articles and links came up explaining that fibroids, as they grow can press on nerves and cause leg pain (particularly in the back of the leg) and numbness.

So this seems like something else that I can attribute to my numerous growing fibroids! My Google search linked me to a forum here in HysterSisters where a few other women had commented on this in the past. I'm glad to know that even though my PCP and the ultrasound tech did not venture to explore other reasons why, it seems like I have found one! I didn't mention it to my gynecologist last week because I didn't think it was related, but will call her office tomorrow to let them know about this symptom/problem. I figure the more ammunition they have to present my surgery as "medically necessary" to the insurance company the better.

I wanted to share this in case any other women are experiencing leg pain/numbness. It could be linked to the fibroids. I haven't had this confirmed by my doctor yet, but it seems likely given that no other medical explanation was found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Re: Leg pain/numbness from fibroids?

I've had the same issue for the past 2 years and they can't find any fibroids in there. My GYN says most likely adenomyosis.

My nerve pain is worse between ovulation and period. It used to just be on my right thigh during the period then progressed to that entire leg. Now I get pain in my knees, numbness all over and a severe backache 3 weeks out of the month.
Unread 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Re: Leg pain/numbness from fibroids?

Mine is worse at certain times too. I know I have fibroids, not sure about adenomyosis. Thanks for the input.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register