Weight gain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Weight gain?

My OB/gyn says that a hysterectomy does not cause weight gain and I am more likely to lose weight than gain - because my uterus is 3x its size and ovary is double due to the cyst.

All the stories I have heard indicate that we gain weight after a hysterectomy not due to the physical size of things but due to the changes in our body hormones.

Can you tell me what you experienced on weight gain?

JFitz
probably heading toward removal of uterus and 1 ovary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Re: Weight gain?

I have put on a couple of kilos - pretty normal I imagine, due to the fact that you have to take it very easy after the op. and not do anything strenuous for 6 weeks at least. With my still swollen belly I'm bursting out of all my trousers too! However, I'm feeling stronger now and have been more active since my return to work so fingers crossed I'll drop back to my normal weight soon! I guess if you eat a balanced diet and accept a little fluctuation in your weight know ing it's just for a short period you won't be too bothered by it!
Good luck with your operation!
Christina
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM

I have lost wieght since my hyst, RSO, and LSO. Probably due to the fact that I no longer hurt like I did before, so I have been more active. Everybody is different, though. Good luck and let us know how everything goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM

I am a full year after my radical hysterectomy and have gained 25 pounds.50 tears old and have never had a weight issue before.112 at 5 ft. 1in. was normal for me. They started me on Vivelle dot .375 8 weeks after surgery because of hot flashes and I couldn,t sleep. Then increased it to .1 2 monthes ago. Still can,t sleep and can,t get the extra weight off even with excercise an hour a day and a 1200 or less calorie diet of nothing but healthy food. Think twice before going on hormones because I didn,t start gaining till I went on them. Will try going off just to lose weight and the hell with the hot flashes and not sleeping. Good luck .
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:58 PM

Thank you mauiwoman, bld3279, and steena,

I appreciate your honesty and support. I wish you each the best and will keep you in my prayers.

Why does it have to be so hard to be a woman ....

Joyce
Unread 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM

i had my hysto (kept ovaries) about 4 years ago. i am in the best shape of my life (im almost 36) of course, ive always excercised and eaten properly (im a dietitian!) i was back in the gym 3 weeks after my hysterectomy!

i dont think hystos make you gain weight..i think its lack of exercise and poor food choices..

mauiewoman...are you measuring your food on a scale and using some sort of way to tally it..i find with my patients they are sometimes eating more than they think...1200 cals is very low...do you that everyday? must factor in any restaraunt trips...etc...dont mean to offend...just wanted to give some friendly dietitian advice..
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw76 View Post
i had my hysto (kept ovaries) about 4 years ago. i am in the best shape of my life (im almost 36) of course, ive always excercised and eaten properly (im a dietitian!) i was back in the gym 3 weeks after my hysterectomy!

i dont think hystos make you gain weight..i think its lack of exercise and poor food choices..

mauiewoman...are you measuring your food on a scale and using some sort of way to tally it..i find with my patients they are sometimes eating more than they think...1200 cals is very low...do you that everyday? must factor in any restaraunt trips...etc...dont mean to offend...just wanted to give some friendly dietitian advice..
How nice to have a dietician looking out for us! I follow weight watchers (have for years) so I know what makes my body tick. I am 15 weeks post op now however and cannot budge an ounce on the scale! I have been at my goal weight for over a year and had no trouble with maintaining. I kept my ovaries but something is definitely changed!! I weigh, measure and track my food and use my points very wisely for healthy choices and still no losses. I am 5 - 7 lbs above where I usually comfortably like to be. I am still within my healthy range but not at my personal goal. Getting frustrated!
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert_61 View Post
How nice to have a dietician looking out for us! I follow weight watchers (have for years) so I know what makes my body tick. I am 15 weeks post op now however and cannot budge an ounce on the scale! I have been at my goal weight for over a year and had no trouble with maintaining. I kept my ovaries but something is definitely changed!! I weigh, measure and track my food and use my points very wisely for healthy choices and still no losses. I am 5 - 7 lbs above where I usually comfortably like to be. I am still within my healthy range but not at my personal goal. Getting frustrated!
Hi Sherbet!

what is your weight and how many calories are you eating?
alot of times, i find that people will say that eat a certain calorie level but then on the weekends they let a little loose...a day or two of eating above maintenace will def. ruin your efforts that you put in during the week..

i will say i am not the biggest fan of weight watchers...but that is just me...i think people should cook real, whole foods...

i found some people on weight watchers will use their point to eat something that isnt healthy and then basically starve the rest of the day because they have already eaten their point

and i didnt see anything about exericse? are you exercising and how much?

Erica
Unread 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM

I don,t measure my food because I don,t over eat. I have been on a health kick for basically my whole adult life so I do know how to eat healthy and I have done some form of excercise my whole adult life making sure to change things up on a regular basis. Through the years I have had to modify some of my workouts because of job related tendonitus. I am a hairdresser so my arms have taken alot of abuse. I have been around 110 pounds fluctuating between 5 pounds in the winter and summer forever. Since my surgery and going on hormones my weight has steadily gone up. Now I count calories and fat grams and carbs and sugars. Haven,t really had to change what I eat because I have been in the guidelines since before I started keeping track so I do believe hormones are my culprit.Could be because of the magic number of turning 50 also at least thats what my clients tell me.I really don,t go out to eat very often either, my food is better for me and my family.Its always fun to come up with new and healthy recipes.If this is not doing enough for my health I am at a loss.Anymore suggestions would be helpful.I excercise at least 5 days a week an hour at a time. Treadmill. pilates,yoga,Cardio fusion,aerobics, Ellen Barrett dvd,s circuit training, walking our block in nice weather, hiking, biking, pretty well rounded. Just have never paid for a personal trainer. Let me know what you think.
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw76 View Post
Hi Sherbet!

what is your weight and how many calories are you eating?
alot of times, i find that people will say that eat a certain calorie level but then on the weekends they let a little loose...a day or two of eating above maintenace will def. ruin your efforts that you put in during the week..

i will say i am not the biggest fan of weight watchers...but that is just me...i think people should cook real, whole foods...

i found some people on weight watchers will use their point to eat something that isnt healthy and then basically starve the rest of the day because they have already eaten their point

and i didnt see anything about exericse? are you exercising and how much?

Erica
Even though I follow weight watchers I do not buy any of their foods. I make all my own meals at home.. whole grain, fruits, vegetables, nuts, low fat dairy and lean protein. I never had trouble losing before the surgery. You can trust I eat very healthy 7 days a week. My body is just working differently now. I weigh 147 lbs and am 5'5". I am most comfortable around 138 - 143 and have been in that range for a couple years. I don't know the calorie count though as I count points. I use each and every point towards filling healthy food. As for exercise I am restricted right now due to pelvic floor weakness after surgery. Until I get the go ahead from my pelvic PT I leisure walk 2 - 3 km a few times a week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register