Pros/Cons Patch vs oral | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pros/Cons Patch vs oral Pros/Cons Patch vs oral

Unread 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Unhappy - Pros/Cons Patch vs oral Pros/Cons Patch vs oral

I haven't researched yet but what are some of the pros and cons of patch vs oral pill? The patch is more expensive, so just wondering I don't start until June, if I make it then. The lack of sleep at night is a big pain
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Re: Pros/Cons Patch vs oral

Hi Kris, I thought I'd answer you since I am bummed when no one responds to my posts. The only thing I know is the pill sends medicine through your liver and I am pretty sure the patch goes straight into your blood and bypasses the liver. I don't know why that would matter its just the only difference I am aware of. Best wishes, echo dog.
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM

I think it really is an individual thing. I would prefer the patch as I am terrible at taking pills and I hate to tax my liver, however, the patch does not seem to work well for me. I don't seem to get the full effect and was spiraling down into a deep depression and my breasts were shrinking!

I was doing better on the pill but then had some issues with mouth sores was not sure if it was related to the pill or not so I am temporarily back on the patch.

I think in the beginning, until you find what works for you, that you will have to make some adjustments. Just be sure to give whatever you try a chance to work and for your body to adjust. If you change things up too quickly you wont' really know what is working and what is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:48 AM

Thanks girls for responding! My ins co pays are high for the patches but the pills ate super cheap that' is 1 reason I posed this question. I will ask my dr when I go back about the effects on my liver.
Echo dog I will keep my eyes open for your posts ;-)

Kris
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM

My doctor is really pushing me to use the patches. The liver was one of the reasons he gave but he was also concerned about the ups and downs of the pill. He said the patches give a more steady stream of hormones where the pills give you a spike when you take them and wear off throughout the day. I'm having trouble keeping my patches on but have found some tips on this site that I'm hoping will help. I'm on the estradiol patch .06. I started at the .0375 dosage and slowly worked my way up.
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM

I found the patch to be a huge bother. It would only stick for about three days and then start coming loose. It felt yucky after the shower and the sticky glue stuff left a super attractive black ring on my skin. And, because it didn't stick properly, my dosing was erratic and I had menopausal symptoms. I am now on the pill form and it's great and I know the dosing is consistent. Liver concerns? Not really, because my doctor and I stay on top of my health. I like the $4 price tag too
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM

Putting a Tegaderm dressing (available at drugstores) over your patch keeps it from coming off. You can find them near the bandages.

My doctor prefers the patch because of the liver issue. She said there is a much lower risk of blot clots with the patch vs. pills.
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Here is some info not only due to them bypassing the liver where studies have shown to pose more risks in blood clotting ect, it is also a more direct source, and a steady delivery why the wait if I might ask did you have surgery already, and also tne patch you.change every few days instead of taking a pill everyday. But it is what you feel best about,
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Hi Kris...I have only been on the Vivelle patch for two weeks but so far, so good. I follow the directions about application and have had no problems with it sticking. It is so small I do not even know its there. After removal, a little bit of baby oil easily takes off any remaining adhesive. I change it every Tuesday morning and Friday night. Their website sends me an e-mail reminder. If you are interested in checking out its "stickiness", they will send you a sample (without the estradiol). It is more expensive than a generic estradiol pill. The lowest I have found it is $37. However, FOR ME, it is worth it because I wanted to bypass my poor liver that is dealing with the toxins, pesticides and pollution that is all around us. I "stay on top of my health" too...but I can't control my entire environment.
HRT truly is a trial and error thing...try to keep an open mind and I'm sure you will find something that will work FOR YOU. Good luck!! xxxLaura
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakris View Post
Thanks girls for responding! My ins co pays are high for the patches but the pills ate super cheap that' is 1 reason I posed this question. I will ask my dr when I go back about the effects on my liver.
Echo dog I will keep my eyes open for your posts ;-)

Kris
Hi gakris,

I had a TAH on 4/10/12 and started Vivelle-dot on 4/19 due to surgically-induced menopause. As to cost, have you checked whether the HS Rx discount card is an option for you? It is the first topic in this HRT forum category.

My insurance co-pay for Vivelle-dot was $35.00, but with the HS Rx discount, my cost drops to about $12.00. I can use my same pharmacy, and my pharmacy said it is too late to re-bill my first fill, but they said to print and bring the HS Rx discount card in for my refills and they will run the discount through for me on subsequent orders going forward.

There are discounts on other drugs, too, and there is also a mail order option. Hope this helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register