Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide.... Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

Thread Tools
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide if I should keep my cervix or not. I am actually thinking of canceling because of this!

The original plan was to keep my ovaries and cervix. I didn't realize if I kept my cervix I would or could get mini periods. I am tired of having my period every other week and really don't want it even if it is light.

I had my endometriosis cauterized 9 years ago and have been doing fine on the pill and only getting my period ever 3 months. But I have liver adenomas (benign rumors on my liver generally caused from long term birth control use). I just found this out in July. Had to go off the bill because estrogen feeds the adenomas and causes them to grow. Since going off in August, I have been getting my period every other week...one time in there I went 45 days between.

Before I could have a hysterectomy or ablation my OBGYN said I had to have a biopsy and did. Results were fine. I had the biopsy while menstrating....the next day it stopped! I went a month until I got my period again and it was light. Wasn't red but dark brown. Lasted about a week. Would the biopsy have caused interruption to my usual every other week period?

So now I am second guessing my decision for the hysterectomy and wonder if I should give it more time and try alternative stuff? Going back on the pill is not an option...even if it is not estrogen based. I just don't want to go down that road again.

I just wonder that since I am questioning my decision and can come to a desi ion about keeping my cervix if I should cancel and take more time to figure things out? Or am I just nervous and that is why I can't decide? I know I am the only one who can make the decision but would appreciate some advise.

Sponsored Links
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

You need to feel comfortable with your decision before the surgery. Having a choice to keep the cervix or not is a tough one, I know, I was also faced with the same decision.

I eventually made the decision to take it out. The uterus and cervix are one organ, not two. I had severe fibroids and doc said by leaving cervix the fibroids could come back.

He said if at a later time the cervix needed to come out, that was a more complicated surgery. We have a history of cervical cancer in my family, although my paps were always ok, I didnt want to take that chance.

I was worried without my cervix about any type of prolapse. My doc said the cervix is the size of a medium button and could not hold up anything of signifigant weight up anyways. That a hysterectomy in general (removal of the uterus) poses those risks.. Not taking the cervix.

Like you, I didnt want to take a chance with a mini period no matter how mini it was. I was scared to death what not having the cervix would do to my orgasms.. Without it, mine are more intense and easier to come by

It is a hard decision at best. So many different opinions flying around out there by sisters and doctors. At the end YOU need to be happy with your decision. If you are that much at a crossroads about it, perhaps postponing may be the right decision for now until you can make a clear decision. I wish you the best as I know it is a hard decision..
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

If you are having such doubts you should definately research until you are satisfied that this is the right thing for you. My cervix came out, but didnt have a choice...precancer.
When I got my biopsies, periods skipped for one or 2 months. The last one, a colposcopy, must have shocked my poor uterus so never got another period before the hyst. Dr said he didnt think biopsy would cause period to skip...but I know this was the cause.
Good luck with your research and decision! OX
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

I wasn't told anything about Mini - periods if you keep your cervix. The only thing I was told was that it meant getting paps still, and to me its no big deal.

The surgery is shorter if the cervix doesn't have to be removed.

If there is cervical cancer in the family, I'd seriously think about getting it removed.

Try not to cancel your surgery. You've been through enough.
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

If you have endometriosis, I thought leaving the cervix could leave some endo behind? I'm no expert, but ask your Dr. If you feel you aren't ready and should try more things, maybe postponing is not a bad idea. You may always have some doubts but overall you should feel you have done everything reasonable and be decided on what you want. It's a serious decision and you need to feel "right" about it, unless it's an emergency. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

I am in the same boat. I go back and forth on whether I should keep it because I am scared that it will decrease my pleasure with sex later, but then I want to have it taken out because I do not want the mini periods and the cramping that might come with them. I started writing in my blog to help sort my feelings out, but I think it just made them more jumbled. Good luck to you and I'll see you on the other side when I get there.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

Often I read these posts about fears and second guessing the surgery, and I see ladies who have already made their decision about the surgery; to have it. The posts are there for needed support and reassurance. You've stated your valid reasons for the hyster and stated your fears on potentials. I think you are nervous and rightly so. This is a big deal. I had my cervix out. I did not want mini periods or the potential of more surgery. I chose to have my ovaries taken for the same reason -turns out they had to come out too much endo. Sex is awesome and my orgasms are more intense, easy to come by and now come in multiples. I have not once regretted my decision. Ultimately, you must be comfortable with your choice. Talk with your DR.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

Hi PR1974 - it's good that you are thinking this through (even though it makes it harder, hey?).

In the end I chose to keep my cervix and I am nearly two years out without any bleeding (before that I was bleeding heavily for 2-3 weeks each month). I wanted to keep as many healthy parts as I could and fortunately my cervix was healthy. I did not want to have it removed "in case". It also helped me to think "I can always have it removed later but I can never have it put back in".

It is completely fair to ask your surgeon what their level of experience is with the procedure they will be doing for you. Before my procedure, I discussed this with my surgeon and he assured me that he could tell the difference between the regular endometrium tissue and the cervical tissue (all of which are part of the uterus). As greyown said, it's an important point in the case of endometriosis.

It is very easy to start second guessing our decisions. Most of us are pretty drained physically and emotionally in the days leading up to surgery and it makes it even harder to stay logical in our thought processes. It might help to write down some pros and cons and see if that leads you to a decision.

Wishing you the very best with your decision. Do what you need to do for YOU.

Unread 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Re: Hysterectomy is tomorrow can't decide....

I had endo and ended up keeping my cervix. It was fused to my colon and there a bigger chance of damage to my colon by taking it out. My surgeon cauterized it quite well, and I did not keep my ovaries, so no mini-periods for me. :-)

I believe the risk of mini-periods is seriously reduced if your surgeon cauterizes or ablates the endometrial material of your cervix. This will also reduce the chance of endometriosis coming back if that is a concern as well.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
11 Replies, Last Reply 07-22-2011, Started By jes4485
6 Replies, Last Reply 03-06-2011, Started By tonicampos46
5 Replies, Last Reply 10-12-2010, Started By Tizz
6 Replies, Last Reply 03-10-2009, Started By przc
11 Replies, Last Reply 06-17-2008, Started By Christine39
30 Replies, Last Reply 06-08-2008, Started By goodies
17 Replies, Last Reply 08-06-2007, Started By DeniseP43
18 Replies, Last Reply 04-16-2007, Started By sunfiretech
7 Replies, Last Reply 03-05-2007, Started By Kmdcarr
11 Replies, Last Reply 10-01-2002, Started By LaaLaa
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
5 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
6 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
12 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
8 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
8 Replies, Aching Hearts


Hysterectomy News

January 27,2022


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!