Scheduled LAVH That good old ovary question again ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

That good old ovary question again ... That good old ovary question again ...

Unread 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
That good old ovary question again ...

Hello Ladies, At long last I know what procedure I'm having, plus a rectocele repair, removing cervix but just can't decide about my ovaries. I am 49, ovaries are healthy, get a lot of pain and discomfort when ovulating and would love to be rid of that. However, very worried about being flung into menopause and having difficulties with HRT. My gynae happens to be an gynae-oncologist so said its entirely up to me but he of course is pro removal as he sees so many women suffering. Would love to have some input from those on both sides and some positive experiences from those who had the ovaries taken, took HRT and are feeling good. I know there is a forum for this but most of the answers tend to be negative. Thanks in advance & hugs x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Re: That good old ovary question again ...

Ovaries out by choice for me. It turns out that they were strangled with endo and needed to come out. I'm 46yo and on HRT and have never felt better. I have so much energy now and my moods are spectacular and even. The hyster was the best health move I've made in a long while. The only glitch I've had was finding that the patch did not work for me-it would not stick to me. I switched to pill firm and love it. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM

I had mine removed and I'm 38 by choice as really bad pms started a low does of HRT and feel so much better not so stressed and moody and feel a lot happier. I'm just waiting to start doing things again once I'm all better. Oh and my husband and son think they took away my nagging hormones to lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2012, 09:06 PM

I had a TAH BSO and am 46.

I tried to do the surgical menopause without HRT, and became absolutely miserable with 25 hot flushes per day, about 6 night sweat episodes, and the worse was major wool blanket brain . My doctor put me on low dose oral estrogen, and I felt much better - literally in 12 hours after being on it. I have never looked back and would not want to be without it. While I don't feel exactly like I did with all of my lady parts, I feel good.

Talk to your doctor about your options, given your age, family history, and personal history. Also from what I understand, you have time to make decisions, and can always change your mind. Sometimes it can take a bit of tweaking to get the HRT levels just right.

Good luck to you...

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM

I had a radical hysterectomy on February 9 (cervix, uterus, ovaries, lymph nodes, surrounding margins). I had perimenopausal problems of night sweats, moodiness, etc. Those problems are gone and I have not had any problems and am not on any medications. Very surprised to find out that I feel better now as far as hormonal issues. I had cervical cancer so I had my ovaries taken to make sure cancer wasn't spread and at 50 there was really no reason to keep them since I would be going into menopause soon anyway. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:18 AM

At 38, with the only part of me 'in trouble' being the cervix, I elected to keep my ovaries. My hormonal cycle has not varied at all with the loss of my uterus - which strongly suggests to me that my ovaries are functioning exactly the same as they did before the op. The monthly mood swings and breast tenderness are all the same.

It may happen that the reduced blood supply to my ovaries will bring menopause on early - but that's by no means certain.

The same is true for you - early menopause is not certain. - Your circumstances differ because you are closer to the age where menopause is likely to kick in any way and ovulation is uncomfortable for you. For me keeping the ovaries was a no brainer once it was clear they were healthy - had I been in your shoes I think I would have considered having them removed. My first instinct is always to let the body do as much as it can naturally, i.e. keep the ovaries and put up with the discomfort until ovulation stops naturally (or at least post-op naturally). But then I have no idea what level of discomfort you are talking about. No one can make that call but you - as you can see there are plenty of women who have had very positive experiences with ovary removal.

The main reason I'm posting is to give you my anecdotal evidence that my ovaries carried on exactly as before after the op - so whatever yours are doing now it is possible that will not change one jot.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Maybe if it's a hormonal issue, just take one out? I'm in the same boat with healthy ovaries but I do get terrible PMS, etc because of estrogen dominance. Is that the same thing? Cramping during ovulation?
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM

I'm 2 days post op. my gyno said current evidence and research suggests ovarian cancer occurs due to the tubes, not the ovaries. With their own blood supply, he recommended to leave them, so i did. I get loads of pms even after ablation, so now the uterus tubes and cervix - as well as all tge adhesions around my bowel, uterus and bladder - we'll see!

Only you can make the decision with ur dr. I'm 45 and in australia
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks ladies so much for your input - very very helpful. I'm going to post a new thread to see if women with bad PMS, ovulation pain, bloating etc improved after ovary removal. Am really really sick to death of spending what seems like my whole month on some sort of hormonal roller coaster with maybe a day or two of normality. Will also make an appointment with my GP to see what her experience is of finding the right HRT. Hugs to you all
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
That good old ovary question again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdie View Post
Thanks ladies so much for your input - very very helpful. I'm going to post a new thread to see if women with bad PMS, ovulation pain, bloating etc improved after ovary removal. Am really really sick to death of spending what seems like my whole month on some sort of hormonal roller coaster with maybe a day or two of normality. Will also make an appointment with my GP to see what her experience is of finding the right HRT. Hugs to you all
Hi I had a good chat with my gp before my op and she gave me the pros and cons but she wouldn't tell me the best way to go but suggested that a steady does of hrt on a daily basis would probably help with the pms and so did my consulant and they were right, the day I went in for op my breasts were very sore I couldn't even lift my arms without them hurting and that's the difference I noticed straight away as well as my spots clearing up. All the best in what ever choice you make.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register