Hyst Mar 28, really scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst Mar 28, really scared Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Unread 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Hello all. I am scheduled for a hysto next week. Have had endo for 20 plus years. I have had trouble with my tubes for yrs and now filled with fluid again. Started missing periods and getting early ones. Doc says when he gets in ovaries may have to come out too. I am only 44 and really nervous about this. I want to make sure what things to check before I have my final discussion with him. Thanks
A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Re: Hyst Mar 28, really scared

HI, are you scared about the surgery or about the after effects? Are you having it done via an open procedure or laparoscopically? If you are most concerned about conserving the ovaries, tell the doctor this, and that you only want them removed if they are diseased or there is a significant risk of a future problem (sounds like maybe it is endometriosis concern?). There are reasons to conserve the ovaries that go beyond just avoiding surgical menopause. If you have a good surgeon, you will be in good hands, and most people feel the surgery itself is painless and they wish they had not worried so much. I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and I feel excellent, and found the surgery to be a million times easier than I ever expected. So the best thing to do is to call the doctor with every single question or worry you have, and he will probably alleviate much of the worry.
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi, it's understandable to be scared, especially with something that is unknown to you. I had a full hysterectomy on Feb 28th. It was the best decision I could have made.
I wish you good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM

My hysterectomy is on Thursday my birthday and I am so anxious about it all. I will be 53. I have had 2 months of nervousness. I am looking forward to finally healing both body and mind. I talked with my Dr. a few times and am going to call today about one more question. I have a good Dr. and always feel better after talking with him. Ask a lot of questions.
You are in my prayers and you not alone.
Unread 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Thank you all for the input. I think what is scaring me is that I have adhesions also and usually in the past when my doc would go in laproscopically to clear my tubes he would have to "unstick" everything was how he would put it. I had a second opinion from another doc she said she felt that I should have the surgery done with my previous doc because he was aware of my situation and had done previous surgery. I asked her if she was scared to do it, she said no but she still would prefer I went back to my previous doc. So I am back to me previous doc who is a good surgeon but not good at bedside manners.The day he told me yes I needed a hysto he says it's no big deal if the ovaries go too, I can take a pill. So I asked him if it was his
"things" would it be no big deal, he just laughed. He has been my doc for over 20yrs though and I am confident in him, but I am worried about my bowels and bladder getting damaged in the "unsticking " and removing of things.The surgery will be like a C-section, but since I've never had children I'm not used to that either
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM

It's normal to be scared when facing a hysterectomy. There are a lot of unknowns. I was told that my TVH may turn into a TAH, my ovaries may or may not go, I may wake up in menopause, the surgery may or may not solve my pain problems, I may have adenomyosis but he won't know until he gets the pathology. It's very stressful. At some point we have to take a leap of faith and put our trust in our surgeons hands. Both my GYN and family doctors downplayed the surgery and recovery time. I wasn't prepared (and many of us aren't) for how long recovery can be. Please explore this site, there is lots of great info that will help you. It's good your doctor has operated on you before and is aware of your adhesions. It's not uncommon for the surgeon to "unstick" the uterus from other organs.
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:03 PM

AElizabeth,

I, too may end up with a TAH because of adhesions. My Dr. told me it will all come down to the wire whether or not they take it LAVH. I requested to keep my ovaries and my Dr agreed as I am only 45. As long as they are healthy they can stay...though the left one is aces at developing hemorrhagic cysts. There is a great study on here which was instrumental in my decision to keep my ovaries...if you meet the criteria I strongly recommend it. Very informative. This site is fantastic and you can really count on the wisdom of your fellow Sisters.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:57 AM

I am very new to all of this but my hysto was just scheduled for March 23. I am super nervous, espically going under and having kids. :-( I don't have many answers but have lots of questions. I pray everyone on here will be fine and remain strong throughout the process! :-)
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:32 AM

Hi, we've all been where you are with being nervous. I had faith and trust in my surgeon so I knew it would be okay.

I also had a friend the day of my surgery pray with me, my friends, family and the doctors. You might find that helpful.

I wish you good luck!
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:43 AM

Elizabeth I totally understand your anxiety. I too am very worried about my adhesions that have my uterus stuck to my bowel; I am terrified that I am going to end up with more problems with my bowel and bladder after the hysterectomy. I was also told that depending on what is seen once in, my ovaries might also have to go and that I could always take HRT. I don't feel happy about that at all and want to have another talk to my gynaeoncologist just to ensure he understands they only come out as a last resort.

I have had 4 c-sections and a ruptured uterus and bladder, whilst the recovery took time it wasn't really too bad. I am going to have a much larger incision with my hysterectomy - if the recovery is like that with a c-section I would be thrilled.

I am hoping that I can find lots of positive outcome stories within these threads among women who also went into their hysterectomy with lots of adhesions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register