Hyst Mar 28, really scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst Mar 28, really scared Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Unread 03-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Re: Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Morning ladies, My dr called last night to say they would not be able to do the hysto next week so I am rescheduled for this Friday. I will be frantic these next few days making sure I am prepared for when I get home. Will I need someone here at every moment say when I have to go to the bathroom, Because my sis-in-law is next door and she told me she will be here for help but I am not sure how much minor stuff I will need her for . She and my husband will be here for food and cleaning and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Hang in there A! I have been waiting since 1/6...bumped 5 times. It happens...not a thing you can do about it. I have never had a section but have had 2 laps, bladder suspension with open incision and a hysteroscopy. The bladder surgery was definitely the toughest recovery but it was a long time ago. Keep yourself busy to keep your mind occupied. Try and relax...do something nice for yourself. How about a pedicure? I have been trying to do things with the kids...taking them out to play ball and for ice cream. I don't want them to be worried but inside I am freaking out!! I wasn't aware that I even had adhesions until I came across my discharge papers from my last visit to the castle...it was written in a consult with a gastro. No one told me and I wonder how he knew. Anyways, I have one bad ovary so I could end up losing it. My hope is to keep at least one as my Mom didn't hit menopause until her late 50's and I am in no hurry. Let's look at the glass half full and say that maybe this surgery will make things with your bladder and bowel better! Talk to your Dr. and take advantage of the incredible women on this site who are here to support you. As for help in the bathroom, my Dr told me to have someone around for the first week. Every person is different and you just have to take things day by day. I am trying to stay focused by cleaning and getting ready for Easter. It is the first day of Spring and it going to be 75 here in New England....so I am breaking out the baby carriage to enjoy some sunshine for a change! Hope this helps...be good to yourself...after all...you are a princess!
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by AElizabeth View Post
Morning ladies, My dr called last night to say they would not be able to do the hysto next week so I am rescheduled for this Friday. I will be frantic these next few days making sure I am prepared for when I get home. Will I need someone here at every moment say when I have to go to the bathroom, Because my sis-in-law is next door and she told me she will be here for help but I am not sure how much minor stuff I will need her for . She and my husband will be here for food and cleaning and such.
Hi, at least for the first 2 weeks you will need a lot of help. Getting to use the bathroom is very difficult. Be honest with your caregivers so they will know what expect.
You will also need someone to cook your meals, put socks on your feet, help put on your underwear on. You will also need someone to get your medications and walk with you.
Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM

That is what I hear too about the first couple of weeks. My husband is retired so he will be here to help me but I don't think either one is prepared for just how help I will need. He is deaf in one ear so I am thinking how I will get his attention in the other room. Bless you all. I am very anxious now but am looking forward to healing both body and mind.
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM

I texted my husband and my mother when I needed them.

You could also get a small bell to put by your night stand, so when you need him he will hear the bell.
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM

I think calling him on the phone might help too. I texted him before but he does not have a clue how to get his texts of the phone. Thanks for the help. I know when I need him, I will need him right away! I am blessed he will be here with me.
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AElizabeth View Post
you should be fine with going to the bathroom by yourself. But you definitely want someone with you for your first shower (or maybe couple of showers) post op. I was so weak I could hardley stand for more than a minute or two. I had DH stay in the bathroom with me in case I fell or got dizzy and needed support. I managed in the shower by myself but I needed help stepping out of the tub (the shower is in the tub) and he had to dry me off and help me get my nightie on. And he also had to brush my hair for me as I was too weak to do that. The next time I showered I was ok by myself.
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Hey all,
I know that the waiting and what if part is soooo scary, when I was there, just last week, I couldn't really believe averyone when they said that the waiting was the hardest part. The surgery is not as bad as you think it will be and the recovery is different than you expect. I expected a lot of pain from the the actual surgery, and in reality, it was the gas pains from being on the clear liquid diet and the bowel prep! I thought it would be hard to walk due to pain, and it was because I was nauseous. I thought I couldn't be there for my kids, but really, I get to just play and enjoy them, cuz everyone else does the fetching and carrying and cooking.
The nurses take really good care of you, let them know what's going on and they will address any and all needs. Your family/ friends will step up and help, just ASK! Its nowhere near as bad as the problems that brought you to this point! I swear! My husband says he would rather do everything and baby the heck out me now, then keep doing every month for weeks on end forever! It really really will be less than you are expecting. The complications are so rare, and even if one happens to you, it is still temporary, where evil uterus is forever!
I promise, the more time you spend worrying, the more time you wasted! I wish I would have believed that leading up to my surgery. I messed up. It time at work, and was a general mess at home, all because I was worried! And I didn't have to be! If I knew then what I know now...
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Oh, I so understand the nervousness. When my doctors first told me they recommended a hysterectomy, I almost shouted "no!". After a few months of researching with books, asking sisters lots of questions, and trying to holistically heal my body (which obviously was not working), I scheduled my surgery date.

I whined to anyone who I thought would understand that I so did not want to go through with the surgery. BUT, once I resigned that the decision was a good one, I was at peace. All the stages of grief - anger, denial, acceptance. The worse was waiting until the surgery date. I was nervous every day leading up to it.

The nurses were wonderful, sensitive, and very very good at making me feel at ease while they were prepping me for surgery morning. I hope it helps to know you are not alone in your nervousness. Be well, and here's to a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks sisters. Your comments help me so as I am worrying too. Thursday is my surgery. You all are a God send.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register