Hyst Mar 28, really scared - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst Mar 28, really scared Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Unread 03-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Re: Hyst Mar 28, really scared

Hi,
I just registered and read many of the messages. I will be going in on Tuesday the 27th for a full hysto, also having my bladder raised due to leakage in the past year. My uterus has a fibroid they say the size of a baseball and have been in menopause for the past two years. I've kept very busy in the last month trying to be positive. I too have a great friend who is really a sister and putting a healing group together so i can meditate and keep feeling positive. All the stories sound so scary but good to hear that healing is quick. How painful is it when you wake up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 11:55 PM

The first 2 weeks are pretty painful when you get up, take it easy and ask for assistance. I kept a small pillow under my stomach while I slept on my side so it wasn't pressing directly against my bed.
I wish you good luck and continue your positive thoughts.
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM

To AElizabeth & others interested - please do an internet search for the William Parker study of ovaries/hysterectomy. It is new and relevant and may change the standard course of ovary removal after a certain age. Here's a related quote: Keeping the ovaries is clearly best for women up to age 65 who are at average risk of getting ovarian cancer and get a hysterectomy for noncancerous conditions, said study author Dr. William Parker, a staff gynecologist at Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles. His finding appears in the August issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology. So, ovaries should not be removed in a cavalier manner - hormone therapy is not equivalent, HOWEVER, there are many good reasons that ovaries have "to go", so if they do, you can be at peace with it. But it should be a thoughtful decision. Harvard also issued an opinion on this due to the Parker study - you can google that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Just now reading this. I am 2 years out from a hyst (one ovary left) and I saw that you are having this done due to endo as well. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure your surgeon is skilled at actually removing endo and not just cutting out your uterus. If he leaves endo in there it can and will grow back.
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM

I also wanted to chime in with my recent experience. It was very good, honestly a piece of cake and I was worried like a basket case for nothing. I had a total hysterectomy (uterus including cervix) in February due to cancer concerns. Apparently due to 2 prior c-sections, I had numerous difficult adhesions -almost everything was stuck to everything (abdominal wall, uterus, bladder, colon, etc). It made the surgery longer. BUT I had close to zero pain (really, really), no complications, walking, showering, bathroom the next day, no help needed at all. I did have to lie down a lot the week after the surgery and took frequent naps -that was it. Some gas pains but those were eliminated by walking around the living room for a minute, and by faithfully taking Colace and gax-x twice a day for maybe a week. They were even able to save the ovaries, and there was no cancer. So keep the faith, it can actually turn out very good and be so easy you can't believe it. The surgeon actually said that adhesions are typical, and I had the laparoscopic/robotic surgery - the adhesions did not prevent this. Think positive, there are more positive outcomes than negative outcomes.
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:09 AM

I would agree with MBN...my whole left pelvis was adhered and matted together. Colon, ovary, ureter, etc. My surgeon was able to deal with all of it robotically. I had an overnight hospital stay. Take the pain medicine that is offered you. Make sure to get up and walk around as much as you can and then rest in between. Follow the directions to a T. Don't pig out with your first few post op meals. It will take your colon sometimes days to "wake up". Drink plenty of water. Rest, rest and more rest. You won't be able to drive for at least week.

You will feel better on the outside first so RESIST the urge to overdo it...there is a reason you aren't supposed to lift and bend and do heavy work = your insides are still healing and you need to protect them.

Complications happen but they are somewhat rare. Follow the directions. Don't be a hero and try to do things you aren't supposed to do. You will feel tired. REST. Despite a laparoscopic approach this IS major surgery and you need to protect yourself and protect your surgeons work.

DO NOT DO NOT have sex too early. Your WILL get the dreaded vaginal/bladder fistulas and those takes months and months of more surgery to resolve.

Take care of yourself. Rest. Drink fluids. Walk. Rest.
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM

I had everything taken on march 12. I feel great. I am so happy because I already feel so much better. I am taking a Tylenol at bedtime with a vit E to help with minor hotflash and headache, sleeping well the last two nights. After 2 csections, tubal and ablation, I was ready to be done and move on. Good luck with your surgery, stay positive and enjoy the healing process!
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM

I am so thrilled that I have found this site. I have had sereval surgeries and have tons of scar tissue and adhesions and we wondering if anyone else was dealing with this. I'm happy to hear that some of you were able to keep your ovaries but if you weren't that it wasn't such a bad surgery. I am feeling relief now.
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM

This has been a great site for me as well. It's great to share my experiences and to know I'm not the only one going through some of the things I've been through.
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:49 AM

To Special Educator, you asked about pain upon waking after surgery. The nurses asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst. My honest answer was zero, but I said "1 or 2" because I didn't believe it myself and I didn't think they'd believe me. They asked me that same question every half hour and honestly, it was a zero. 100% no pain in the hospital, and only a few gas twinges at home. The only discomfort I had in the hospital was some itchy skin from the drugs, and a sore arm from being in the surgical position for 4 hours. Those went away the next day and were no big deal. I don't think I was overmedicated because I was very aware, but i think they gave me just enough pain relief to make it all disappear. I never used the Rx they gave me to take home, and I have heard others say the same. In contrast, my c-sections were painful so its not just that I have a high pain tolerance. Pain management in hospitals has really evolved. So don't worry.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register