TVH in April but not sure why | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH in April but not sure why TVH in April but not sure why

Unread 03-21-2012, 01:37 AM
TVH in April but not sure why

Hello all,
I had an endo ablation last week. Tis week my doc tells me my biopsy came out negative for endo but that I had a lot of blood on/in my uterus. He then said my uterus was inflamed and needed to come out. He is adamant that I keep my ovaries. My next surgery is a TVH. Can anyone explain what all of this means?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Re: TVH in April but not sure why

Or maybe it was TVH? I'm not sure. He is removing my uterus through my vagina.
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:55 AM

Let me see if I can help a bit!

An endometrial ablation removes the endometrium (or endometrial lining) from the inside of the uterus. During the procedure, the surgeon would not be able to see the outside of the uterus. Thus, if your doctor saw anything on your uterus, did you also have a laparoscopy? Or by "on" your uterus was he talking about on the interior wall of the uterus?

I am assuming the biopsy was negative for "endometrial cancer." Endo typically refers to "endometriosis" but it cannot be detected or diagnosed with an endometrial ablation as it exists outside the uterus. Of course, if you also had a laparoscopy the outside of the uterus could have been checked as well as areas in your pelvic region.

I am guessing your doctor believes you have adenomyosis. That is a condition where the endometrium grows into the muscular wall of the uterus. It can cause a collection of blood and inflammation. You might want to read through some of our Adenomyosis Resources to learn more.

Before you head into OR, you definitely want your physician to explain everything to you. You should not have a hysterectomy unless you are 100% sure it is the right surgery for you and you completely understand it and the risks.

According to your post, you are scheduled for a TVH--total vaginal hysterectomy meaning your complete uterus with cervix will be removed vaginally. All of the surgical work and incisions will be done vaginally and your recovery would be about 4-6 weeks. You can read more here: Vaginal Hysterectomy

It is also very wise to get at least a second opinion before having a hysterectomy. It is a major surgery with several risks to consider.

I hope you will take some time to explore the site so you can learn all you can before having surgery. Feel free to post any of your questions and concerns and we will do our best to answer them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:03 AM

Thank you so much! It makes much more sense now. My doctor is not the best communicator, but he is a very good doc. He is my second opinion. I dont need my uterus. I am done having kids naturally. Pregnancy did not agree with me at all. I will keep my ovaries.
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM

I agree with Weiser. It does sound like adenomyosis. You may want to look that up and learn a bit more about it.

My doctor suspects adenomyosis in my case and a lot of time if that's what you have ablations can make things even worse. With adenomyosis, the endomertium lining grows into the muscle wall of the uterus. If it is deep enough, then when your body tries to cycle, it can cause a lot of pain because the blood gets trapped and can't be released due to the ablation. Maybe that's what your dr saw.

My doctor told me I had 2 choices. I could try ablation and then if it failed I could have a hysterectomy. After reading up on adenomyosis, I told her no thank you on the ablation.

Pregnancy also didn't agree with me either.
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Another thing I don't understand is that my laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy is scheduled as outpatient. Is that common?
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydoll View Post
Another thing I don't understand is that my laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy is scheduled as outpatient. Is that common?
Any hysterectomy can be scheduled as outpatient though generally speaking it won't be if there will be an abdominal incision. Outpatient can mean you will not be in a room more than 23 hours with the clock not starting until you are out of recovery and in a regular room. Thus, an outpatient surgery can include an overnight stay. As always, check with your medical facility and doctor for specific details for you.

By the way, your profile now shows SILS/LESS but you mentioned having surgery vaginally. Has your surgery type changed?

s
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM

I think I marked the wrong thing. I will try to change it now! The place I'm having the surgery ships you out the door as soon as possible. Not sure I like the idea.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM

My aunt had an outpatient TVH almost 20 years ago and was happy with it. She was glad to be home as soon as possible.

If you have concerns, talk to your doctor. He may be able to ease your mind.

Unread 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM

I had out patient surgery once when I had a breast tumor removed. I had it in a surgery center that pushes you out the door shortly after you're awake. What I learned from the experience is to not let them release you until you're ready. I always get very nauseous with anesthesia but I never told my nurses and so felt so sick the drive home. I now know I should have asked for something for nausea and waited another hour or two before heading home. Everyone responds and recovers to anesthesia differently, so if you don't quite feel well enough to leave, tell them and relax a while longer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register