Scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to death Scared to death

Unread 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Scared to death

I am scheduled for hyster and TVT on April 3rd. Its only 2 weeks away and I am so terrified that I am considering cancelling the appt. I have read posts on this site and I'm just not finding the comfort I was hoping for. My pre-op is this monday and I am hoping to get some answers there. I just want to know what I will have to do in prep for the surgery, how long it takes for both to be completed and what kind of hospital stay will I have. I have gotten lots of great helpful hints about what to expect when I go home. I'll be alone, but I'm boarding the dog so at least I dont have to worry about her. I need something to make this fear go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Re: Scared to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie2012 View Post
I am scheduled for hyster and TVT on April 3rd. Its only 2 weeks away and I am so terrified that I am considering cancelling the appt. I have read posts on this site and I'm just not finding the comfort I was hoping for. My pre-op is this monday and I am hoping to get some answers there. I just want to know what I will have to do in prep for the surgery, how long it takes for both to be completed and what kind of hospital stay will I have. I have gotten lots of great helpful hints about what to expect when I go home. I'll be alone, but I'm boarding the dog so at least I dont have to worry about her. I need something to make this fear go away.
Lacie-

I don't know your situation as far as why you are getting the hysterectomy, but I can at least tell you that you are not alone in your fear. I actually cancelled my first hysterectomy several years ago because of fear.

It got to the point recently that I didn't have much of a choice, so I bit the bullet and went along and I am now 13 days post hysterectomy (LAVH- uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes taken, one remaining ovary left) and I can't tell you how happy I am that I went through with it. After seeing my report, I found that my uterus was 2x the normal size and I had adenomyosis (which I knew about), my uterus was attached to my bladder and my bowel and I had endometriosis on my fallopian tubes (which I didn't know about). All things that were causing me discomfort, lots of bleeding, etc.

Looking back, I should have done it the first time. But for some reason, I wasn't ready, or convinced myself I wasn't.

I am not telling you what to do, just saying that fear is normal. Questioning is normal. But you can get through it and come out on the other side feeling better. What I did differently this time was not read all the things that could go wrong. I read up on the procedure, and I prepared for getting it done, and what would need to happen when I got home, and I kept positive about it. I had a much better experience than I ever imagined and honestly, none of the things I was afraid of have happened thus far.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I will send good thoughts your way!
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Tell the doc that you are so fearful that it's affecting your decision to have the surgery. I had a lot of anxiety as the surgery date drew near, and called to tell them about it. They gave me Ativan and it REALLY helped a LOT. I took some just before going in as well. It really allowed me to function for that week before the surgery. It's worth asking for if it's really affecting you that much.

I don't know what kind of surgery a TVT is, so I can't help you there. I had a TLH, and everything went smoothly - even my recovery. Today is 5 weeks post op and I'm back to cooking and feeling among the living.

Good idea on writing down your questions. I had a lot and got all of them answered. I spoke with the anesthesiologist about my fears and she took complete care of me. She gave me something to relax me before going into the OR. I told her how I woke up with a MAJOR coughing fit due to the intubation the last time I had general and she did something that numbed my throat and I had no coughing fits or sore throat post surgery. I told her that I would freak out if I woke up in recovery still being intubated and would freak out and be scarred for life, and she made sure to give me more versed, so that if that *did* happen, I'd have no recollection of it.

I have nothing but positive things to say about this whole process. Just make sure to be honest with your doc about everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Thank you .. that means alot to me. I know that I am probably thinking the worst of everything but I just can't help it. I have read just about everything I can find. What did you decide to do about HRT? The pros and cons to that scare me a little. I trust my doctor and I will do whatever he tells me to but the more I know on my own the more comfortable I will be.
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM

the TVT is some kind of bladder surgery that they are going to do at the same time. I have endrometreosis in the past, do you think that will complicate things? How long does the surgery last? Did you get the script for Adivan before you went to the hospital and take it before you got there?
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie2012 View Post
Thank you .. that means alot to me. I know that I am probably thinking the worst of everything but I just can't help it. I have read just about everything I can find. What did you decide to do about HRT? The pros and cons to that scare me a little. I trust my doctor and I will do whatever he tells me to but the more I know on my own the more comfortable I will be.
Oh I understand, I am a devourer of information too! As you likely know though, sometimes you can read too much and then freak yourself out. There are so many individual factors involved that no one will have the exact same experience through this.

I haven't had to do HRT because I have one ovary (my other one was removed 10 years ago for a dermoid cyst) and it seems to be working. But I would listen to your doctor AND yourself when it comes to that.

And I totally agree with the other poster about talking to your Dr. about your nerves and ask for something to get you to the surgery date- I had Xanax and used it several times when I got really nervous and it got me through. I asked and was allowed to take one the night before to help me sleep. And I also told the anesthesiologist that morning about my horrible nerves and she put something in my IV to relax me before surgery, and it was heavenly!

Just vocalize your fears and you will be surprised that the Dr.'s have likely heard it all and will have information and things they can do to make this whole thing easier to go through.
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Oh if I would know that they would give me something in the IV to relax before surgery that would be a huge help. You have no idea how much I appreciate this site being available to me and you all for answering me. I tried talking to my mom and all she did was yell at me and tell me to get over it. I am 47 years .. I'm thinking she doesn't have a very good bedside manner
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM

LOL! My Mom is similar. I'm 43, she's 81. I have 6 sisters, all of them and my mother, have had hysterectomies, my sisters were helpful, my Mom, not so much...

And I do know how much this site helps. It has gotten me through many worries and questions.

To answer your other questions- my surgery took about 1 1/2 hours, I had endometriosis but didn't know it. Not everywhere though. They did have to do some extra stuff like cut my bladder away from my uterus, remove some scar tissue, cut my bowel away from my uterus, a few other things.... They are pretty darn good at this these days so I think they are ready for whatever they encounter when they get in there.

Once they gave me the relaxation stuff, I was in la-la land. Everything flew from there. Woke up in recovery and was ready for some ice chips because my throat was dry and sore from the tube. I had ice chips by my side the whole 24 hours I was in the hospital. The catheter was annoying but I let them keep it in because it was nice to just rest and not have to think about peeing. I did have to keep an eye on it though because it got full a few times and they needed to get it emptied. Was kind of fascinating actually...
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM

my doctor hadnt told me about any tube??????? not digging that one bit only in the hospital one night?? I can do that ... what do they do at your pre-op visit .. are they going to make me do anything gross? LOL
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Yes, they put a tube in your bladder, but they don't do it till you are asleep so don't worry about that- and once it is in and you wake up, it doesn't hurt or anything, you just have to move it around a bit when you move in bed. And they take it out before you leave the hospital and it doesn't hurt to do that. They made me sit over the toilet and pulled it out. Then wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I peed. Which was pretty quick after they took the catheter out. I didn't have to BM before I left, but some docs make you do that too.

My pre-op visit included a uterine biopsy (which I knew about in advance, they won't spring that on you!), then just the regular stuff like your yearly without the pap. Nothing grosser than usual. They also will listen to your heart, lungs, weigh you, ask if you have any questions. Make sure you write a list of questions and bring it with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register