Scared to death - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to death Scared to death

Unread 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Re: Scared to death

perfect....I have had most of all that done already. I have also seen the urology surgeon and he sent me a letter of instructions. Only one line on the instructions confused me so I am waiting for them to call me back. No tube in your throat? Thats a relief ... I wish my anxiety level would calm it down a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie2012 View Post
perfect....I have had most of all that done already. I have also seen the urology surgeon and he sent me a letter of instructions. Only one line on the instructions confused me so I am waiting for them to call me back. No tube in your throat? Thats a relief ... I wish my anxiety level would calm it down a little
Yes, sorry, I had a tube in my throat too. But they also put that in when you are asleep and take it out while you are asleep so it isn't a big deal. You just might have a dry, sore-ish throat after, and some slight coughing.

Seriously ask for something to take for the next week or so. Ativan, Xanax, whichever. It'll really help your anxiety level.
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:36 PM

okay .. not liking the thought but okay ... thank you sooooo much for the advice. I appreciate it more than you know, just the positive talk about it makes it less scary. I'm still scared but much less about the things I thought was going to go on. One last question for today ,,, some have posted on this site that they had to drink some stuff that made them spend eternity in the bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Ah yes, bowel prep. I read about that too. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have to do it? My doctor never even mentioned it. I am sure your doc will let you know.

Keep your chin up and ask questions anytime! Let me know how your appointment goes!
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM

The tube down your throat is to keep you breathing (intubation). It's part of the general anesthesia process. They put you so under that your body doesn't function really anymore and you need to be intubated to breathe. This all happens after you are knocked out. The intubation tube will come out likely before you are aware of your surroundings. I have a big fear of waking up with that in my throat and struggling against it and remembering it. I told the anesthesiologist this and she made sure I was comfortable the whole time. She must have pumped me up good because I have no recollection of even being in the recovery room and none of being wheeled into my hospital room. And, apparently, I was in the recovery room for several hours. The catheter is also put in after you are asleep.

Doesn't really matter how long the surgery is because time is of no consequence to you.

With the ativan and the drugs the anesthesiologist gave me, I have very spotty memory of my pre-op period. You will get wheeled to the OR and will likely remember that part of it. I had to get up and slide over to the OR table. Not that I actually remember doing that. But, trust me, you'll slide on over and that will be the LAST thing you remember. I swear they pump stuff into your IV the second your butt hits the OR table.

For me, the next several hours are very spotty. I have no recollection of anything until after I got to my hospital room. My DH was there, but I don't know how long he stayed or what we said. I was trying to text people and write on FB, but I couldn't stay awake to even write a full sentence. I'd type a word and then fall asleep. LOL! I didn't start remembering stuff until probably sometime after dinner.

I had my catheter out later that evening because it was bothering me. No pain or anything - just an urgent need to pee (which is NOT how you are supposed to feel). The nurse took it out after calling the doc because he wanted it in until the morning. She tried adjusting it, but it just made the need to pee worse. So, she put a measured amount of fluid into my bladder (making it even worse!), and then took it out. I was VERY surprised that it didn't hurt to come out at all! I had to wait 5 minutes before trying to pee. The nurse had me brush my teeth to while away the time. Then, thankfully, I peed. AAAAAAAH! After that, every time I got up to pee (which, by the way, is quite a lot because they REALLY pump you full of fluids), I would take a very slow walk around the corridors.

Just so you know, I left the hospital 13 lbs heavier than when I went in. Just from fluids.

Please listen to others. Get the pillow pet. It was a lifesaver for the ride home. Bumps hurt like a mother.
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Thank you all. I will take the advice with the pillow pet which is funny since I am way too old for that. and as far as bowel prep, I think if my doctor suggests it I will just tell him 'not so much" and thats that.
Hugs ladies ,, with a few more questions answered I feel a little better
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Do the bowel prep if he says to do it. The reasoning behind it is valid. They don't want a major crisis if your intestines happen to get perforated (not a common occurrence, but still a risk). If the intestines are cleared out, they just just fix the problem. If they aren't, you can get poo all over your insides and turn septic, which is a life threatening thing. They'll have to do a major clean up. It's just not worth the risk. I'm not sure why some surgeons want it while others don't. I'm guessing some procedures come with a greater risk of intestinal perforation than other procedures.
Unread 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM

Oh, and if you do have to do a bowel cleanse, pat your bottom with toilet paper, do not rub. It'll turn quite watery after a while and that's when you'll be patting the area. Some people like to use wet wipes too.
Unread 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm not thinking it is acceptable to me ... I get grossed out .. and I dont think I could handle it. We'll see what he says
Unread 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM

In addition to a tummy pillow, a belly binder has been helpful to me. It holds everything in place--especially good for coughing, bowel movements, car rides, and sleeping on your side.

Everyone's experience is so different. I didn't notice a sore throat. I woke up fully awake, not fuzzy. Barely knew a cathetar was there. But I did really love that sleepy, happy stuff they give you before surgery. I only had time to say "I'm getting slee..."

I was worried when my doc said I'd probably only be in the hospital one night. But I did so good, I COULD have gone home the next evening, but I asked if I could stay another night--mostly to give my dh and dd time to prepare for me!

You probably hear more tales of woe on here than fairy tale endings, but there are many whose lives are better afterwards and whose surgeries and recoveries went smoothly.

Keep asking your questions here--the sisters are so helpful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register