Scared to death - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to death Scared to death

Unread 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Re: Scared to death

I am 2 weeks post op. My experience was very good! When my surgery was scheduled I had 3 weeks to get ready. I cleaned, scrubbed, cooked putting food in the freezer, did everything I could think of. I was finally so ready for this surgery. I had been putting it off for about a year. The day before my pre op visit with my doc I started getting really nervous. Once I saw him, talked to him, got my instructions, I felt better. Next morning at the hospital everyone was so nice. They wheeled me to the or, I remember moving from my bed to the table then my doc said, "Are you ready?" I said, "I am, let's do this!" last thing I remember. I don't know if I had a tube in my throat or not, but sounds like I probably did. Catheter was not a big deal. When they removed it, I'm not sure I really felt anything, just made me think of a bubble! I don't know why!
I can't wait to hear your experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM

Just to let you know I'm scheduled for April 3rd as well. Am having a rectocele repair at the same time. Just need to decide about my ovaries ...... So, keep on posting if you need support of any sort, even if its just to tell us you're frightened. I'm quite calm at the moment but am waking up earlier than normal so I know that I'm beginning to get nervous! We'll both be fine and will feel so relieved when its over. I'm trying to think about the future and living my life to the full when its over to keep myself positive. Hugs to you xxxx
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM

I am not sleeping hardly at all. I think I am getting about 20 minutes a night one and off. Last night I drank some wine and that seemed to help. Have you had your pre-op yet? A new question that I have is the fact that my doctor told me that I will have to stop my medications one full week before. I take antidepressant/bipolar meds. I'm not sure that is the wisest idea. I see him on Monday, I just wish I knew what he is going to do and/or specifically talk to me about. I don't want to be more scared than I already am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM

I'm in the UK so things are a little different here. Had my pre-op but all the nurse did was take some blood. The rest they do on the day I think (blood pressure etc). I don't even have to do a bowel prep .... not sure if that's good or bad I'm getting more nervous about menopausal symptoms after the op if I have my ovaries taken or if they go to sleep....
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM

my doc is taking both .. the one good thing about that is that I can never have Ovarian cancer. You could always do the hormone therapy to take care of the menopause issues. I am still weighing out the options since taking it and not taking it both have good points and bad points. My doctor better not hit me up with that bowel prep. I'm not having one little part of that.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Hey there. I am 13 days post-op and while my recovery is slower than normal (I have a lot of other health problems), I would do it all over again. The pre-op is easy. They weigh you and take your height. They get all your vitals: BP, oxygen saturation, temperature, and pulse. They test the range of motion of your neck (how far you can turn your head to the left, then right, then up, then down). It's to see how easy it will be to put in the breathing tube (all done while you are asleep). They take some blood and have a look at your veins (just a look, they don't actually put in an IV). They will go through all your questions. They will ask you questions regarding allergies and other health problems you may have. No gross stuff! As for bowel prep, I think it varies. I didn't have to do any. I just had to stop eating and drinking at midnight. If you feel really strongly about it, talk to your surgeon. I don't think it is a deal breaker. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM

thanks for the pre-op info. I am so glad that I found this. I feel like I am making friends. The more info I am getting the less scared I am. This has been a Godsend to me. Oh and btw, in my world that bowel prep is GROSS STUFF HAHAHA
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie2012 View Post
I am not sleeping hardly at all. I think I am getting about 20 minutes a night one and off. Last night I drank some wine and that seemed to help. Have you had your pre-op yet? A new question that I have is the fact that my doctor told me that I will have to stop my medications one full week before. I take antidepressant/bipolar meds. I'm not sure that is the wisest idea. I see him on Monday, I just wish I knew what he is going to do and/or specifically talk to me about. I don't want to be more scared than I already am.

I am on meds for anxiety and I didn't have to stop taking them. I only had to stop taking my fish oil and no ibuprofen or aspirin the week before since all of those can be blood thinners. I took only my anxiety medicine the morning before.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:58 PM

thanks. I will check with him on Monday ... maybe he can make an exception
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady3 View Post
I am on meds for anxiety and I didn't have to stop taking them. I only had to stop taking my fish oil and no ibuprofen or aspirin the week before since all of those can be blood thinners. I took only my anxiety medicine the morning before.
Talk to your surgeon or anesthesiologist about your meds. I too, take anxiety meds and I took them right up to the night before.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register