recovery and pets in your bed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery and pets in your bed recovery and pets in your bed

Unread 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
recovery and pets in your bed

I'm wondering if others have had pets that sleep in bed with them and what they did with it while recovering. I have a jack russell that thinks she is a princess and sleeps on the bed with us. My husband has no problem kicking her off but he has poor hearing and doesn't have to listen to her high pitch whine when she doesn't get her way. She'd lay on my legs if I let her but will compromise with laying beside me over getting kicked off the bed. I know she will want to do the same while I recover but I know I won't be able to push her over/off if she jumps up there to sleep with me. She is also very sensitive to others hurting...physically and emotionally. Have others dealt with a dog or cat (or whatever) that likes to sleep with them and think they rule the roost? What did you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Re: recovery and pets in your bed

I can't answer any questions but I have a little 9 pounder that sleeps with us and I hope she sleeps with me so I can pet her and get my mind of my hurting. Maverick rules the roost here. I just hope she does not crawl up on me though because that will be a problem. My surgery is tomorrow so I will learn about sleeping with my pet. Good luck and prayers.
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Hi ladies,
I think it's great that you love your pets but, trust me, you don't want to risk the additional pain or discomfort of having your dogs jump on (or even touch off!) your abdomens. You'll be sore, swollen and uncomfortable for a while - I found it difficult to sleep on my side and had to contort myself to find a way to get out of bed without screaming! Don't risk your recoveries for your dog's sakes - you only get one shot at this!
Best of luck with your surgeries,
Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Hi there. I have two little toy poodles that have always slept with me and are always on me if I'm in a chair reading. One is 3 and 3/4 lbs and the other just under 5 lbs. I kept a pillow over my stomach and pushed away whenever one looked like aiming for my stomach. They're very sensitive and sweet and haven't hurt me at all. It's been a comfort to have them with me. Now a jack Russell-- they are so cute--but bigger and a lot more energy. If your dog will be careful with you I'd just let her on the bed.

On the other hand, I haven't slept over at my boyfriends house at all--he has two big springer spaniels that snuggle on the bed, and that's too much weight to risk

Best wishes for a healthy recovery. Having a pet is good for your health overall.
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM

I have 3 cats, one of which sleeps under the covers with me every night. I had no problem with her sleeping in the bed during my recovery. I was very thankful, because I was so emotional and I found her presence very comforting. She seemed to know that I was unwell and she stayed with me all day, curled up in my arms. She kept me company and I could cry on her without worrying that I would make her feel bad.

Enjoy the comfort and company of your pets. Just protect your tummy because it's very painful when they jump on you.
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM

I agree, I have a chihuahua who LOVES to lay with me - but she's a rambler, she wallers all over the place. I haven't let her lay with me while I was asleep yet (I'm 5 days post-op) just because I'm scared she'll step on my tummy. She does lay beside me on the couch or in the recliner as long as I'm awake!
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Hi! I cant speak specifically re: post hyster (mine isnt until MAY 9th-ugh!}, but I have had past abdominal sugeries & have cats with one weighing 14lbs! All the different cats I had were incredibly "insightful" about how I was feeling. One stayed away completely-i think out of fear of hurting me. 1 would jump up onto the couch or bed as far away from me as possible & slowly walk up & lay near me without making contact. Last one would not let me out of sight, & would lay on a pillow next to my head. I too found them to be incredibly helpful during my recovery. I am single so no partner or hubby to comfort me- the furry friends were heaven sent! And, when/if you cry- noone HAS to know, but you still get the "venting" benefit.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery w lots of love & support from you pup, hubby & of course we will all be here too!
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM

I have 3 mini-schnauzers that are our kids, they definitely sleep with us I was worried after my surgery about the same issues. But I found that I could not stand not having them on the bed with me - I had bought a mini-staircase for them to use to get up on our (kind of high) bed and they all learned this before my surgery. So when I got home, they all got up there but they did just fine. Sometimes the one who sleeps/spoons with me made it tough to turn over, etc but I would just very consciously nudge her without of course picking her up and she would grumble and move over a bit. I think they really helped my recover and keep my spirits up, they made me smile every day. Caring for them was a different issue but hopefully you will have help with that so you don't have to bend too much to feed them, fill their water bowls, etc. Best of luck to you!!!
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM

I was glad to have the company in bed when I was there by myself. I have a 100lb big baby and he is super gental. I had no problem w/ him sleepin w/ me as he usual did before surg. I guess it all depends on the animal.
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM

My 12yo dog is currently curled up next to me! Both my dogs have been constantly beside me-big boy has been hard to step over!! They seem to know whats up. It has been nice to whine to them when others dont get it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register