recovery and pets in your bed - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery and pets in your bed recovery and pets in your bed

Unread 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Re: recovery and pets in your bed

I have a puppy, who will be almost 6 months at the time of my surgery, and two cats. The cats I'm not worried about, especially the elderly one (I think he will gently cuddle) but not sure about the puppy. He usually settles down once he's been on the bed for 5-10 minutes, but he is lively and cuddly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:54 AM

I agree that it depends on the pet and their personality. I have two 100 pound dogs (a Golden and a Rott'n'Lab) and a 65 pound 7 month old Golden pup. The older Golden is so gentle and sweet, I am not worried about him at all. He senses when I don't feel well and watches over me. The other two, though...geesh! My RottX is 3 years old and still WiLd! And my pup just instigates all day, ha! So they will probably be spending a lot of time in the yard burning energy when I get home...safer for all involved My cats are pretty gentle and have their spots throughout the house, so I figure I'll be okay there, too. As for the bed, well, I am not planning on sleeping in my bed for a week or two. It is downstairs and I want to stay on one level at first, so the sofa it is. This is going to be interesting, no doubt. Ha! Good luck to everybody with their hairy kids
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:21 AM

I have a "small" 65 lb German Shepherd girl, about 2 years old, and my biggest problem with her is she has to hug me. By that I mean she jumps up, puts a front leg on either side of my waist and squeezes to hang on, and looks up into my face with her chin flat against my chest, begging to be squeezed and petted back. Being post op, that's not a possibility, and I think after being discouraged from jumping up a few times for a hug soon after I got home from the hospital, she understood no hugs for awhile. She also is a half lap dog when she knows I'm not feeling well - feet on the floor, upper body in my lap - and again, she likes to be nose to nose, looking right into my eyes, like "Are you ok? How are you feeling?". It's endearing and amusing, but the only time she tried that since I got home, I didn't catch her from doing it in time, and a paw went right into my hyper-sensitive bellybutton, and I screeched like she's never heard from me before. But again, she figured out that wasn't a good idea for right now, and now she goes behind the couch to jump up onto the back of it, behind my head, and look at me from there... also she can sniff in my ear, and apparently that's a pretty good way for her to gauge my health. Big ones and little ones can tell when their human parents aren't feeling good. And that little one on the bed may realize that she needs to be extra careful, and that might be the best place for her to keep track of you and make sure you're ok. Best wishes and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 03:10 AM

I have a 140lb Bernese Mountain Dog who is a total lap dog and is always next to me. He has been wonderful! I had my surgery 7+ weeks ago. For the first week or do he kept his distance. He stayed close, but not in the bed and moved away while I was walking. It was like he was keeping guard and watching me but not wanting to hurt me. After a little over a week he started to gently cuddle. I kept a pillow over my stomach in case he put his head on my stomach. I was worried about how he would be too at first, because he is my boy and loves to be on top of me. My husband says that I ruined him because he is such a mommy boy. He is just a supper sweet giant. he knew that I was sick and was super careful!
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all your "stories" about your furry kids. It has helped put my mind at ease. It sounds as if my Kasie dog will probably pick up on my needs and adapt. If not, my husband will make sure she does....she'll be outside all day and kicked out of the bedroom. But then I'll have to listen to her whine and scratch at the door. We're pretty good buds as we're a lot alike..old, cranky at times and couch potatoes...haha

Thanks again for your replies!
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM

My Bichon Casper lays with me all day and sleeps with my son at night. He has jumped around me a couple of times but didn't hurt me. They say pets help you heal so I am thankful for Casper. He knew I was sick the day I came home from my thyroid biopsy and didn't leave my side and has been very protective. Since the hysterectomy he is still by my side and I will not be kicking him out of my bed! Enjoy your babies that is the best unconditional love ever!
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM

I have six cats, two of which are serious lap/chest cats. Post op, none tried to climb on me at all. Oddly, they surrounded me in bed or on the couch touching me and purring constantly. I'm certain they knew I was injured and were helping me to heal. One always followed me to the bathroom and layed across my feet. I kept a pillow for my belly but never needed it.
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM

My surgery was last Thursday and my little doggie is by my side especially last night when I slept on the recliner. My husband is a good nurse but want him to get some rest so my doggie is my night time nurse.
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM

My surgery is April 4th...and I have 7 little doggies that sleep with me. They are all gentle, and I am *hoping* they don't hurt me. They are sensitive as well to when I am hurting and they are careful around my 'boo-boos". LOL The hairless ones I hope will provide me some extra heat like a heating pad lol. We will see )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register