Pre-Op 5/8 and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op 5/8 and scared Pre-Op 5/8 and scared

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Pre-Op 5/8 and scared

Hello Ladies, looking for some encouragement. My hysterectomy is going to be scheduled in April 2012. Very nervous, it has been a very hard decision since I wanted more kids but it just isn't possible. 3 years ago I had to have emergency surgery due to an abscessed ovary the size of a softball. Due to the surgery I now have severe dense adhesions in my abdomen. My doctor wants me to have a hysterectomy because my uterus is now the size of a five month pregnancy and is pushed up really high in a ball with my large and small intestine involved. He cannot properly check my ovaries so he says this needs to be done. I am so scared because he said where my colon is involved there is a potential for a temporary colostomy bag and could possibly be some bladder damage (25%). I know they have to be up front and tell you the worst case scenario but this just really scares me. I know it has to be done, my stomach is bloated, my periods are horrible and I am miserable. My question is has anyone had this done going into it having severe adhesions? I am just terrified as to what I am going to wake up to. He told me it would be a 4 hour or long surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy and scared

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. You have quite a bit on your plate, with several complicating factors. I hope once they get inside, things will go real smoothly and your bladder and bowel will be okay. It sounds as if you have a good doctor who is trying to cover all of the bases with you.

I know I have read posts from other women who have had adhesions. Hopefully they will see this post and respond. I am going to tweak the title just slightly to add that info. That can help attract women with the same problem.

We are here to support you sweetie. In know this is really overwhelming. Hang in there.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy and scared (severe adhesions)

Thank you sooo much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Tracie I am in the same situation you are in. I have alot of scare tissue and adhesions from prior surgeries and am scared to have to have a colostomy bag. I hope someone sees this and can provide you some answers. Sending hugs your way.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM

I was beginning to think I was alone and that nobody else has this problem, I hope somebody can reply and give us some hope. Thanks for replying, hugs right back at you sweetie
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM

My surgery is April 10th and I am in the same boat. Having to have the colostomy bag is my worst fear right now too. Sigh. I wish I knew what to say...right there with you. I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Oh I hope everything goes well for you. Mine is tentatively scheduled for May 8 so please keep me posted, hugs to you too sweetie
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Your post really touched me and I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you. I had a hysterectomy in Aug 2009 but for other reasons. I am saying a prayer for you and sincerely hope for a very positive outcome for you. Yes, you do have serveral complications but the hysterectomy can at least free you from all the horrible periods, etc. Wishing you the best!!

rabianco2
LAVH Aug 2009
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you sooo much, I am so very scared and can use all the prayers I can get. It means alot that you took the time to respond. Thank you!!
Unread 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM

I've had 3 c-sections and my dr isn't sure how many adhesions she'll find once she gets in there. I'm having DaVinci done, but it could go TAH if she discovers lots of scar tissue in there. My issue isn't my bowels, but my bladder. She said I may get sent home with a catheter. That totally freaked me out, but she told me that she's going to do everything in her power to prevent that (I'm sure your dr will too) and said that it's just part of the healing process if I run into bladder complications and assured me that once my bladder healed and I could get rid of the catheter that I'd be good as new. I'm sure your case would be the same. If (and it's a big IF) you need the bag, I'm sure once you make it through the healing phase you'll be good as new, and period free to boot!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register