Pre-Op 5/8 and scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op 5/8 and scared Pre-Op 5/8 and scared

Unread 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy and scared (severe adhesions)

Thank you for your encouragement. He said that hopefully if there are complications with the bowel and bladder that it would be temporary until things healed but you know it is just scary now knowing what you are going to wake up to. I will be relieved that I am going to be period free but a little worried about the hormones and sad that I cannot have any more kids but he assures me that I am going to feel alot better. He says he believes I have chronic pain but just do not realize it because I have become so use to it. Thanks for your response, Hugs to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM

HI Sisters,

I just had my PAT today and was told my surgery was scheduled as a "tentative" LAVH...meaning the chances of a TAH are strong due to complications. Although no one has found evidence of adhesive disease, I found it on a recent write up by a consultant. I have been having multitudes of problems involving bladder and bowel issues so that seems to be the only logical explanation. Trust me when I say that although a catheter doesn't sound like fun...it is much better than getting up non-stop to use the bathroom. I went home with one after a bladder suspension and was grateful no to have to do two flights of stairs. Insertion and removal is nothing to worry about. I have not had any experience with a colostomy but what I am told is that your whole body suffers trauma from any surgery so it's better to do whatever you can to preserve these organs until they wake back up. Have faith in your Doc and yourself. Best wishes...and lots of hugs!
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM

I understand that and I totally trust my doctor. He has already saved my life once when I had the abscessed ovary. I know he will do what is best for me and will do whatever it takes to make me feel better. What is so amazing to me is that I have no problems with my colon or my bladder now, other than having bad periods and my abdomen sticking out looking like I am pregnant you would never know I have issues with adhesions. I keep asking him, "wouldn't I be having problems with my colon and bladder if the adhesions are really bad?" and he says not necessarily. So I do just have to put my faith in him and trust that everything will be okay. Thanks for your encouragement and your response. Best of wishes to you too and lots of Hugs!! :0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Just had TAH yesterday for fibroids and ovarian cysts. Once the doc got in there, though, she found very dense adhesions involving my bowels and L ovary, so the original plan of draining the cysts on my L ovary were scrapped and she removed all of the adhesions and L tube and ovary as well.

One thing I can tell you right now is that the terrible pain I'd been experiencing is gone. Completely. Now the pain is more like surgery discomfort and, of course, the incision. But all the pressure on my L pelvic area is gone and I feel so much better already and I am only 1 day post-op.

Don't be scared. Your pain is far too serious to wait any longer than you have to. Sure, there are risks. There always will be. But for me, a life of the pain I was in was simply not an option. It was truly debilitating. Sounds like yours is, too. If it takes 6 months to fix it, take the 6 months (or whatever your doc thinks it might be) and use it to heal your body and mind. I was told that this surgery could end up as a 5 day hospital stay along with potential damage to other organs...and I was released after 1 day and no damage was done. You are right - they do worst case just in case, and also, to ensure proper insurance coverage is available if needed.

I made it. So will you! Peace.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:55 PM

I am so glad things went well for you and you are feeling better. Thank you so much for responding. You have definitely gave me some encouragement. Your right. I need to take how ever long it takes to get my body back in to shape, it has been this way far too long. I just have to have faith that everything is going to be okay. Because I am sure the worrying isn't helping my body either and I have worried about it far too long. Thanks for your encouragement and I wish you nothing but the best. Hugs!!
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Hello ladies, I just wanted to say to all of you who are worried about what you will wake up to due to adhesions, I hear you and understand how you are feeling. I still haven't scheduled my hysterctomy date as I am still looking into things, e.g., whether I need to see my gastroenterologist prior to work out whether this really is just a gynae issue or a separate bowel issue as well. I know I have adhesions adhering my bowel, bladder and uterus, possibly ovaries as well. I have been told by 3 gynaes now that I need a TAH. I am looking forward to getting rid of the excessive bleeding, pain, diarrhoea and bladder issues, but am terrified of waking up to more problems.
Regarding the catheter though, I would just like to reassure you all that I had one in place for 5 weeks after my bladder ruptured with my uterus and apart from bladder infections which were quickly treated it really wasn't a problem; it's a fairly simple process changing your day bag to your night bag and in fact it was kind of cool to not have to get up to go to the toilet during the night.

I really hope some more ladies who have already had their hyster with severe adhesions can come in here and reassure us all.
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks for responding. I totally know how you are feeling. I told my doctor, I feel somewhat normal now and am I going to wake up with all kinds of problems? His response "but you are not normal now" you have just learned to live with it. So I know it needs to be done and I just have to do it. I can only pray that it will not be as bad as it seems. I hope you can easily make your decision once you finish looking into things. I wish you nothing but the best. Please keep me posted. Lots of hugs to you!!
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Tracie I will be keeping an eye out for your posts and hoping that all goes well for you. I hope all of us who are still facing our hysterectomy are able to reach some sort of peace about it by the time the day comes.

I have consulted a gynaeoncologist and it did make me feel better when he reassured me that he is used to dealing with very complicated surgeries.
I hadn't anticipated that there would be so many things to consider - eg I wanted to keep my cervix but he said no; I want to keep my ovaries but he says they may have to go too and I can always go on HRT (I am 48). I worry about HRT as we have a family hx of breast cancer.
I am concerned about the possibility of prolapse after hysterectomy but I guess there is not a lot of point to worrying about that unless it occurs.
I am concerned about sexual functioning after hysterctomy, but reassured by some of the posts I see where women say sexual functioning is not affected or even inproved by the surgery.
I am going to consult a physio before and after surgery just to hear what I can do to prepare my body and help it to recover afterward.

I am surprised at how many people I run into lately who tell me they have had a hysterectomy and thankfully all have been positive; they all tell me I will be amazed at how much energy I will have once I have recovered. I am really looking forward to that because I find my current level of fatigue quite debilitating and frustrating.

So much to think about; I guess we can only keep asking questions and try to be as best informed and prepared as possible.
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM

There is so much to consider. My doctor has dealt with adhesions but he is also going have a colon surgeon in during my surgery which will make me feel so much better. He said if something would go wrong with my bladder he would immediately call someone in. I also worry about prolapse but I guess there is no reason to worry about that as of yet. I have also been concerned about sexual function after my hysterectomy but have talked to some people that say it has been better. I am surprised too that most of the people I have talked to says the hysterectomy is the best thing they have ever done because they feel so much better. My doctor is hoping to keep at least one of my ovaries but is very doubtful that he will be able to. No sure if I want him to if there is a chance that he will have to go back in there someday. I worry about taking hormones though. Although there is no history of breast cancer in my family it still worries me. Being informed as much as possible is the best thing we can do. The more people that respond and tells me about their situation gives me more and more encouragement. I am sooo glad I found this website. You talk to your family but unless they are in this situation they do not understand what your are going through. It makes me feel much better to talk about it. I hope only the best for you, please keep me posted and I hope you find peace in making your decision. Much hugs to you sweetie
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM

Dr. called today, my surgery is scheduled for sure now, May 8th. It is going to be here before I know it. Just trying to stay positive. Please if you have been in this situation respond to my post. Thanks girls, Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register