Anyone with weird appetite changes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with weird appetite changes? Anyone with weird appetite changes?

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Anyone with weird appetite changes?

Just curious--since surgery, what smells and tastes good to has totally changed! It's as though my sense of smell is way more acute. Things I used to really enjoy like morning coffee and a little sip of wine before bed--I just don't like it. All wine tastes vinegary. It actually tastes different. Cheese has no appeal now and that's weird for me. And I can only eat small amounts--that's a good change I hope lasts. Anything creamy or with mayonnaise seems disgusting. I'm already three weeks postop and this is persistent.

Anybody else go through anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Re: Anyone with weird appetite changes?

I'm so glad you posted this. I thought it was only me. My elderly dog uses puppy pads at night. One was in the bathroom garbage that wasn't taken out yet. It seemed like all I could smell. It's like I have super senses. Lol! I also used to love coffee and can't stomach the thought of it.
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM

Yes! my habitual egg whites for breakfast tasted rancid 2 days post op and I haven't tried since. Meats have also been so-so...my husband thinks I am crazy! If my tummy wasn't so swollen I swear I feel like I have lost 10 lbs but it isn't showing much on the scale. Crackers are my friend these days. Thanks for posting this...I feel normal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm only 2 days post op and my mouth tastes like someone did something in there they shouldn't have lol
I think it's actually the meds that are giving me this dry and bad tasting mouth. I will ask my man if my breath smells badly... i hope not
anyway, I'm still not really able to eat yet... food it not appealing.
and like yourself, that's very unusual. I'd call the dr just to see what they say.
good luck
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Im having the exact same things. Things I love taste like crap. Im not eating much when I eat but get really hungry all the time.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:43 AM

You ladies are not alone. I am almost a year post-op and my appetite is still different. I do not eat a lot of the things I used to. The one I have noticed the most is chocolate. I used to eat something chocolate EVERY day, multiple times a day and now I really just don't care for it at all. Not sure if that has to do with the fact that my ovaries are gone, so I don't have those monthly cravings??? Who knows.

I have found that when I do "crave" something, it is usually something healthy like fruit or veggies.

My appetite was severely diminished after my surgery and I have lost a lot of weight. I am down 35 pounds since my surgery. I actually had to go to the to figure out what was going on....still don't have any answers to that one. I just don't get hungry and when I do, I can only eat a small amount. I don't know that it is hysterectomy related though, so if you are losing your appetite completely and do not get it back within a few weeks, you may want to visit with your doctor just to make sure there isn't something else going on.

As far as the sense of smell....I can totally relate to that as well. It almost seems like it is usually foul smells that seem overly intense to me...wouldn't that figure. Wouldn't it be nice if it was only sweet, sugary smelling things??

Just know you aren't alone. I don't know if these things will pass, for me they haven't, but everyone is different.

Take care of yourselves, ladies.

Unread 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

I am 9 weeks out and I notice those also. I find I have to eat much smaller meals throughout the day, I feel so full so fast. And I am learning to not over eat or else I can really not feel well. My entire digestion is more sensitive still. But I can still feel my internal incisions, so as I heal more this might change .... But I accept it as normal right now! I am glad because it means I have not gained a lot of weight! And believe me, I've been doing a lot of laying around!
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM

Things taste different to me, too. As you stated, coffee and wine taste really different. Unfortunately, though, I can still eat quite a bit. I crave sugar all the time, too!
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Count me in. Well, I had a horrible raw sore tongue and throat from being intubated for 2 hours of surgery and that put a major dent in the way things tasted. Thankfully that is now healed and things have finally starting tasting good again. I, too, am craving healthier food. Although sometimes that craving has been for chocolate, it seems if I just wait a little while, the craving changes for something tart, like dill pickles. I think it might be the hormones with me. I lost my ovaries and am on replacement hormones

LOL!! I am so glad I happen to think to go back and check this post. I had typed "inCubated" instead of inTubated the first time I posted this!!!! Too funny!!!!
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM

thank you so much, I didn't eat for the first 3weeks post op, today I am 4weeks and can actually eat a half of a burger,, food really doesn't appeal at all to me,, diet pepsi was best not anymore, yuk...
I've lost 20 lbs doc didn't like it but I thought wow...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register