What determines if you can have a vaginal versus abdominal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What determines if you can have a vaginal versus abdominal? What determines if you can have a vaginal versus abdominal?

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
What determines if you can have a vaginal versus abdominal?

Hi gals!!

I am freaking out now!! Not for the surgery itself, but I have pretty much convinced myself that I will have to have an abdominal incision after all! My doctor did warn me that it could be a very real possibility, but I just DO NOt want it!

I have not been told what size it is, but am assuming my uterus would be around a 14 week pregnancy, or larger. I have a large fibroid, but it is directly on top of the uterus. I have adeno as well.

At first I thought her warnings were because of unseen adhesions and endo. Now, though, I read that whether or not you have had vaginal births can be a factor. I have not, and have only had D&C (3). How big of a factor does that play?

Did you go in and they changed their plans? What was their reason?

I do know in the end that I trust her to do what is best for my case, but, OH, do not want that if it can be helped!

thank you so much ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Re: What determines if you can have a vaginal versus abdominal?

I think the type of surgery you have is dependent on why you are having a hysterectomy, and your medical history. I have also read that whether you have had vaginal births also plays a factor.

For me, I knew I was going to have a TAH BSO. This was due to the size of the ovarian cyst and the potential cancer concerns.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM

whooo boy! thank you! I think it has something to do with how large it has gotten proportionate to the birth canal... I have been reading WAY too much on it lately, my husband says , stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM

I had never given birth, but I had a normal size uterus. I think the size of your uterus is the determining factor, and sometimes they give meds to shrink it for that reason. I hope you "qualify" for a vaginal procedure.
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM

The reason my hysterectomy was abdominal was because my cervix was very scarred. Doc said he could not do the surgery safely with such a scarred cervix. The abdominal recovery has not been bad for me. The incision is very low.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM

I was able to have a da Vinci even with a six month sized uterus that weighed 11.6lbs. I have never given birth. My surgery took almost five hours and my DR cut my uterus into several prices to remove it vaginally. Because I'm healthy and tolerated the anesthesia well, my DR chose the longer surgery over the TAH. Keep a good thought, they do amazing things now.
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM

I ended up with a 6" abdominal incision in addition to my DvH. My uterus was just too big to remove through the DvH incisions. BTW - I have never given birth, either.

My recovery was actually pretty easy even with the larger abdominal incision.

Easier said than done, but I would try to just relax about the possibility of an abdominal incision. I firmly believe that whatever happens is meant to happen. You trust your doctor and it will be okay.
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM

I have had a child but mine was an abdominal incision. Doctor was concerned about the cysts and uterus. I can tell you that my recovery has been basically uneventful.
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks gals!! I have kind of come to that conclusion... I will be fine not matter what! It has to happen, so I trust her to make the best decision for me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register