Scheduled TAH Upcoming Surgery 4/10 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Surgery 4/10 Upcoming Surgery 4/10

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Re: Upcoming Surgery 4/10

Hi ladies... Yes my nervous have kicked into high gear now. I still have another week till mine and I am already a mess.

Yes I am having my surgery to stop the pain I have from Adhesions. Adhesions are like scar tissue but the stick to everything. My uterus is stuck to my ovaries and fallopin tubes and they are all stuck the wall of my abdomen. And on the right side my uterer (sp?) (makes you pee) is stuck to the abdomen wall along with most everything else on that side. I tried doing just a lap surgery but that just made things worse so the next step is take it all out.

I have worried to much about the fact I wont be able to have any more children, when I had my daughter I always said I would only one. So I am ok with that.

And yes like you all I am more than happy to be rid of my monthly painful period. I can finally buy some cute white capris!

I am trying to get my to do list done this week but I seem to keep adding to it and then I get sleepy by afternoon since I am not sleeping well at night so lots to do here. What are you ladies doing to prepare for the big day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillsurvive View Post
Well my total abdominal hysterectomy is scheduled for April 10th. Now that it is official, I am really scared and nervous. Not about not waking up or something going wrong, but about the pain physically and mentally afterwards. I have had surgeries in the past, but nothing this severe. I am starting to do everything to prepare as much as possible including with work, home, etc, but still can't keep my mind off of it and seems like it is taking forever for the day to get here. I had my blood work done, ultrasound and everything came back normal. Did my pre-op appointment. Now all that's left is the waiting and then easter weekend I have my 72 hour blood work and then bowel cleanse the 9th, and then surgery the 10th. I have an embarassing question, never done a bowel cleanse before. Is it absolutely horrible?
I am just about 8 weeks postop from an abdominal hyster. did not have to do a bowel prep so can't discuss that! but I will tell you this: I was also nervous beforehand, not sleeping well. The anticipation was by far the worst part. My time in the hospital was all positive, staff was knowledgable, surgery went well, they help you manage your pain. Take your pain meds as advised in the beginning because it is the only way you're going to be able to get up and start walking. and when you get up and start walking is when you begin your healing process. The catheter is not a big deal, a welcome gift in the beginning, and not bad during removal. AFter they remove it, drink lots of fluids cuz they will monitor the quantity of your urine to make sure you're ok. Drink so you can pee so you can go home!!! Move around periodically at home, and then rest all the time!! Be patient and let yourself heal. Accept any offers of help that come your way: meals, errands, whatever. Get out and walk even small amounts as soon as you can (I did by 5-6 days after). When this is all done, you're going to feel like a new person. I feel awesome now, am exercising again, and all my symptoms pre-surg are gone!!! Most of all, keep a super positive attitude!! it's essential. Good luck!!!
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM

thanks for all the responses, it has helped to calm me down a little. i know it will go fine, just cant help but be nervous about everything. and i think all the stress is causing me to break out everywhere. i look like crater face lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Upcoming Surgery 4/10

Thank you for the good wishes. I wish you the same and a speedy recovery. I dont get the your making a mistake I get the dont let it get to you and the its not as big of a deal as your making it.
  Quote:
hi there. yah thats the thing i am looking forward to the most is no more pain. that and no more periods. i just started my very last period of my lifetime today. happy about it but also kinda sad. i always remind myself that when i want more babies i will adopt so i can help a child get a good home and family, but its still tough knowing i wont be able to physically have anymore kids from myself. Good luck wednesday!! You will do great. You are a strong, Phenomenal womann who can get through anything shining like a star. mine is next tuesday the 10th. wish it would hurry up and get here. yah my surgeon originally wanted to do it laproscopically and vaginally but i requested to get it done abdominally. less risks for complications plus if she finds something else that is wrong it will be easier for her to get to it. plus its a bonus to be able to stay in the hospital those 3 1/2 days. will be like a mini vacation except for the food haha. thank you for being here for me too. it means a lot. and i agree completely. there are many out there that do not support our decisions and say were making a big mistake but they truly dont know what we are going through and if they were in our situation they would probably do the same thing.
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Hi to all of you. I thought I'd pop in to the Pre-op forum to see if I could help out with some of the pre-op jitters. My TAH was a year ago on 3/29. Everybody is scared, so I won't say don't be scared. What I will tell you is that it goes SO fast the morning of your surgery, you literally will not have time to think about what is happening. I was called to register within 5 minutes of arriving, then all at once nurses and techs and doctors were all talking to me, asking questions, taking vitals. I was literally busy until the last minute, for which I was grateful. As soon as I kissed my family, someone said "we're going to push a little medicine", I remember being pushed out of my cubicle and then nothing more until I woke up in recovery. It seemed like only minutes had passed, but it was actually a couple of hours. Of course, you don't feel like running and jumping, but I can't say that I really felt very badly at all. They stopped the morphine pump within a few hours and I made it on Ibuprofen from that point on. I was supposed to stay 3 days, but went home in the late afternoon on the second day. You know that the big thing is passing gas - you gotta do that or you don't go anywhere! Everyone wants you to do it!! I was not looking forward to the catheter, but that was no big deal either. They put it in while you're out and taking it out was not a problem. Trying to pee WAS an issue, because things don't seem to want to cooperate, but that worked out too. I think one important piece of advice that I can give is to try to limit the number of visitors you have during the first couple days. I had quite a few visitors on the day after surgery. I was sitting up and able to walk on my own, but it was very tiring to try to "entertain" my guests. Even though you know that you can't and they know that you can't, YOU still try. The people who came to see me came because they loved me, but by the evening I was just maxxed out. Except for your very immediate family, try to tell others to come visit you when you are home for a few days. You'll feel a lot better then. I was released to drive in 10 days, but let me tell you - it almost killed my back and shoulders, not my abdomen!! I did fine and was able to go back to work in 3 weeks. My advice is to take as much time as you need to feel good - everybody is different and don't gauge your progress by anybody else's. If it's taking you a little longer than your friend or relative, don't feel guilty and don't let anyone tell you that you SHOULD be feeling fine by such and such time. Your body knows what it needs to heal, take your cues from it. It will definitely let you know when you have overdone it!!! It will definitely rebel!! God bless each of you. Sending prayers and thoughts your way!
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Hi,I'm now 3 wks post op from TAH.Believe me that the beforehand is worse than after.Im no stranger to having operations & this one was the only one that I've ever got nervous & dreaded,laying on the bed waiting to go to asleep I just wanted to run outta there! Came round in my room & was surprised at the lack of pain,had a morphine pump but hardly used it.Catheter was out the next morning & was fine.Got up a few hours later & walked,was dreading it but again was better than I thought.Stayed in hospital 4 nights.Gas pains were the worse thing,peppermint tea really helped.Am now progressing slowly but surely.Am cross with myself for getting so stressed beforehand.Can already feel the benefits of the op,is good to have none of the pains & discomfort that I constantly had before.Relax,you will be fine.Good luck.xx
Unread 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Upcoming Surgery 4/10

Quote:
thanks for all the responses, it has helped to calm me down a little. i know it will go fine, just cant help but be nervous about everything. and i think all the stress is causing me to break out everywhere. i look like crater face lol
Regarding the bowel prep.....I didn't think it was terrible.....not the most pleasant thing in the world but certainly tolerable. I don't know what your doctor had advised you to take but mine told me to get two bottles of citrate of magnesium and make sure they are ice cold. He said if I didn't get results with one bottle after a few hours to take the other bottle. I was able to drink it pretty quickly and it really didn't taste that bad since it was really cold. The first bottle worked in a short time. I dream it at10 am and everything was over by about 7:30 pm. The worst part for me was having nothing but broth. I could hardly stand to look at it late in the day. Even
Jello got to me. If you don't have much to eat the day before you prep,you'll be clean as a whistle in short order! You'll do fine. I find that tree anticipation of what if to come is.usually worse than the actual event. Nonetheless, I was nervous too. ..its natural. The best advice I got on this site was "just breathe". It goes a long way to help calm you down. I didn't sleep much during those days preceding my surgery so I spent a lot of time trying to breathe and say calm. Prayer, meditation, whatever else you do to calm your nerves helpful. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I completely get what you sees going through!
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Hey girls. Our day its almost here I called the doc today to see what time is the surgery they told me in the morning but they dis not know the time yet. I got sad today, next tuesdy its kindergarden roundup at our school and I will miss being there with my little one. But other than that doing good. Watching my step grandson till friday so his keeping me busy.
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM

hey there, yep 1 week away from tomorrow. can't get here fast enough. i know its going to be rough, but anxious for it to get here. im already totally and completely sick of this last period of my lifetime. i am so miserable. yah im trying to keep busy as much as possible too. not always possible though. sorry you will miss out on your little one's roundup. ill be missing out on a field trip also. its the day i go home, but im doubtful ill feel up to it. well, big hugs and try to keep busy. only 7 days away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb82 View Post
Hey girls. Our day its almost here I called the doc today to see what time is the surgery they told me in the morning but they dis not know the time yet. I got sad today, next tuesdy its kindergarden roundup at our school and I will miss being there with my little one. But other than that doing good. Watching my step grandson till friday so his keeping me busy.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM

How is everyone feeling today? I am very swollen for some reason today. And now that my emotions are in high gear and my nervous are off the charts I have had an upset stomach with diarriha for a few days now. Fun stuff.
I am so anxious to get to the surgery and be in recovery. My hubby is very nervous now too so this house is a big ball of nerves.

Today my plan is to cook up some ground beef for tacos for easy reheat for hubby. And to clean my daughters bathroom and lay out clothes for her for next week. So somewhat busy but will be needing lots breaks for this swollen belly to relax.

Hope you all are taking deep breaths and relaxing or at least trying too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register