Scheduled TAH Upcoming Surgery 4/10 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Surgery 4/10 Upcoming Surgery 4/10

Unread 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Re: Upcoming Surgery 4/10

hi there, i am feeling okay today. just super nervous. trying to keep busy to keep my mind off of it but not really working. what time is your surgery? mine is at 2pm central time. i see that you are having a dvinci surgery, so at least your recovery shouldnt be that long. i am having a total abdominal so i will have a long recovery, however, i am actually looking forward to that. the 3 1/2 days in hospital will be like a mini vacation away from home and then once i am home i will have an excuse to be lazy at home. hope you get feeling better soon. only 6 1/2 days to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegsP View Post
How is everyone feeling today? I am very swollen for some reason today. And now that my emotions are in high gear and my nervous are off the charts I have had an upset stomach with diarriha for a few days now. Fun stuff.
I am so anxious to get to the surgery and be in recovery. My hubby is very nervous now too so this house is a big ball of nerves.

Today my plan is to cook up some ground beef for tacos for easy reheat for hubby. And to clean my daughters bathroom and lay out clothes for her for next week. So somewhat busy but will be needing lots breaks for this swollen belly to relax.

Hope you all are taking deep breaths and relaxing or at least trying too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM

It's so nice to know that it's not too early to be nervous and thinking of the upcoming surgery. I too am scheduled on the 10th (10:30 CST) and I am doing my best to stay busy til then. I keep thinking, "This is the last time for awhile I'll be able to..."
I'm doing my best to make lists for my family to keep functioning somewhat normally without me. I am not sure if I'm being anal or if it's yet another way to keep busy.
I went in for pre-op but they did not take any blood nor was I told to do a bowel cleanse. So odd how things differ b/t surgeries.
I'll be thinking of all you others on the 10th!
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

My surgery is at 8am check in 6am CST. Yes mine is Davinci so same day surgery.

Huckleberrie- I too have been making list like crazy to help my family can be somewhat normal. I agree no clue if I am being over the top or just helpful or just so dang nervous I cant help myself. LOL Either way I have done a little precooking meals and lots of list on the fridge for hubby. Hopefully he doesnt think I am being annoying.

I wish I could skip the bowel cleanse. It sure doesnt sound fun to me. And they told me I didnt need to come in for preop that whatever blood needs drawn we can do it the morning or surgery. they did say they would call me on the day before to talk over some things for pre admin. stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM

My TLH is on April 10th as well and I had part 1 of my preop last week. I got my bowel prep instructions, chest xray, ekg (I have bad asthma and get pneumonia easy, along with a few problems with my heart valves). I go in and do bloodwork on the 9th in the morning and then start Magnesium Citrate that afternoon....blech!!! Starting to get a bit anxious...ready to have it overwith.
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm having my surgery on the 10th too, can't wait for this all to be over with, nice to know that we are all in this together! I had my pre-op testing last Fri & tomorrow I go to my PCP for the medical clearance. I didn't need to do a bowel cleanse, I have done it before for 3 colonscopies (sister had colon cancer.) It's no big deal & agree with Onob when she said to drink it cold, it's not that bad.

Just wanted to wish all my sisters the very best of luck on their surgeries, I'm sure we will all be just fine!

Take care,
Moe
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM

It's not bad at all. I used the magnesium sulfate grape flavor. For me it took about 6 hours to start working but when it did, I had to be by the rest room all day for about 4 hours. It's not bad as long as you know what is coming.
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM

I just had my hysterectomy last week on March 28th, and I am healing nicely- I pray the same for you! To me, the worst thing about the bowel cleanse was the taste of the medicine. :/ Good luck to you!
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM

the thing im not looking forward to the most about the bowel cleanse is the fact that they told me to start at 4pm, which means im doing it during the evening when im supposed to be relaxing and going to sleep, ugh. my surgery is tuesday, cant wait. 3 1/2 days, meals in bed, morphine, what more could a girl ask for lol
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillsurvive View Post
the thing im not looking forward to the most about the bowel cleanse is the fact that they told me to start at 4pm, which means im doing it during the evening when im supposed to be relaxing and going to sleep, ugh. my surgery is tuesday, cant wait. 3 1/2 days, meals in bed, morphine, what more could a girl ask for lol
Perhaps you could give your doctor a quick call and ask if you can do the prep earlier in the day. My doctor told me that the reason he wants his patients to do the prep early is so they can get as much rest as possible the night before the surgery. Are you being allowed to eat throughout the day until 4 p.m. as well? My surgery was on a Tuesday morning, and I thought it went faster for me because I had nothing to eat after midnight Sunday, did the cleanse starting at 10 a.m. on Monday - things were over by about 7:30 p.m. Monday night. It was weird because I WAS able to sleep the night before surgery - I thought I wouldn't sleep a wink, but I did. Maybe a quick call to see IF it is possible......everybody does things differently - some don't even require a bowel cleanse. Maybe your doctor has a specific reason for starting at 4 p.m. I don't think it hurts to ask. My husband had a colonoscopy a few months ago and his doctor wanted him to drink Miralax toward the end of the prep - AFTER he thought he was already cleaned out. He told me he wasn't going to do it, because he didn't have to do it the last time he had one, which is 10 years ago. I told him to call, because his doctor (same one who did it before) PROBABLY had a reason for doing it that way and that something may have happened in the past 10 years to cause him to change the way he wants it done. He finally called and found out that they added the Miralax as a little extra insurance that there would not be the slightest trace of any fecal matter left because it can skew the results. Obviously, some patient along the way got incorrect results and the extra cleansing helps eliminate errors. I said all that to say this. Just a quick call can't hurt. It is what it is - all they can say is "NO - we want you to do it at 4 p.m." and you're not any worse off than you are right now. Wishing you all the best!
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Been there done that lol. I asked if I could do it in the morning of the 9th instead of at 4 so that i could make sure i wouldnt be dealing with it when im trying to sleep. i was worried i would have an accident in bed, but they said they needed it right at the times they told me so that it would still be cleaned out good at my surgery. i take a tablet at 4pm and start drinking the stuff at 6. sucks. plus, i dont do good with diarrhea, never have. im afraid that i will end up throwing up and not have enough of the stuff in my system. i do organic coffee enemas for my gerson therapy so i figure if i do throw up and start having issues i could do a couple of those to make sure im clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onob View Post
Perhaps you could give your doctor a quick call and ask if you can do the prep earlier in the day. My doctor told me that the reason he wants his patients to do the prep early is so they can get as much rest as possible the night before the surgery. Are you being allowed to eat throughout the day until 4 p.m. as well? My surgery was on a Tuesday morning, and I thought it went faster for me because I had nothing to eat after midnight Sunday, did the cleanse starting at 10 a.m. on Monday - things were over by about 7:30 p.m. Monday night. It was weird because I WAS able to sleep the night before surgery - I thought I wouldn't sleep a wink, but I did. Maybe a quick call to see IF it is possible......everybody does things differently - some don't even require a bowel cleanse. Maybe your doctor has a specific reason for starting at 4 p.m. I don't think it hurts to ask. My husband had a colonoscopy a few months ago and his doctor wanted him to drink Miralax toward the end of the prep - AFTER he thought he was already cleaned out. He told me he wasn't going to do it, because he didn't have to do it the last time he had one, which is 10 years ago. I told him to call, because his doctor (same one who did it before) PROBABLY had a reason for doing it that way and that something may have happened in the past 10 years to cause him to change the way he wants it done. He finally called and found out that they added the Miralax as a little extra insurance that there would not be the slightest trace of any fecal matter left because it can skew the results. Obviously, some patient along the way got incorrect results and the extra cleansing helps eliminate errors. I said all that to say this. Just a quick call can't hurt. It is what it is - all they can say is "NO - we want you to do it at 4 p.m." and you're not any worse off than you are right now. Wishing you all the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register