Anyone with small children?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with small children?? Anyone with small children??

Unread 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone with small children??

I'm scheduled to have my LAVH this Thursday. Starting to freak out, but staying busy with getting my house in order this weekend.

I have a five year old and a 22 month old. My five year old will understand that Mommy can't pick her up while I'm recovering. My son won't. How do you guys handle this? It's going to break my heart, but I know I can't pick him up. He's a tough guy, too, so even holding him on the bed with me scares me, if he jumps on me or jerks fast.

Any tips or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Re: Anyone with small children??

My son is 4 but I still find myself carrying him often or lifting him in and out of shopping carts. I had to start weaning him off of that and I told him my doctor said it was hurting my back too much. He took it well and even reminds me when I try to lift him. I think it would be harder to explain to a toddler though.
You will have to find some way around lifting them. My doc told me I'd be back in for surgery again for more stuff prolapsing if I keep lifting heavy stuff/kids. I think this has been the hardest part of the whole ordeal for me.
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:13 PM

Omg I have the same problem! I have a soon to be 9 yr old, 4 yr old, and 17 mo old! So of course my 9yr will understand that im fragile. My 4 yr old will Ned frequent reminders. But my lil guy is gonna break my heart! I dont NEED to hold him, but I like to. Especially cuddling in the bed ....im gonna miss that. So my plan is of course to get all the help with putting him in his crib/high chair/tub/car seat, etc. but times when he wants me....ill just have to tell him no ...I can just see his lil face when he wants outta that crib and I cant help him. I also plan to spend some time with him on the floor. But of course that puts my abdomen at risk so ill keep a pillow or two on me for protection.
Good luck. These 8 wks of recovery will be rough but we can do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM

I have a 5 year old girl, a boy who turns 4 next month, and a little girl who just turned 2 and may be getting tubes put in her ears within the next month. I've been through the whole can't pick up my 2 year old thing twice now. I had a c-section when my first baby was 20 months old and had c-section number 3 when my son was 20 months old. It's rough, but just tell yourself it's only temporary. Once you get through the recovery, your little one will completely forget about those 6 to 8 weeks that you couldn't pick them up.

My tips:
1) You can't lift them, but you CAN hold them. Sit down and ask them to climb up in your lap or sit on the floor and have them cuddle with you.

2) Since you can't lift them into a high chair, do finger food meals at the coffee table when you're home alone with the kids.

3) Get childproof locks, doorknobs, and babygates. Keep in mind if your 2 year old runs out side, or into the garage, or some other unsafe area that you won't be able to pick them up. So, childproof the areas you need to keep them away from.

Again, this is only temporary. You will get through it.
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone with small children??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagayle View Post
I have a 5 year old girl, a boy who turns 4 next month, and a little girl who just turned 2 and may be getting tubes put in her ears within the next month. I've been through the whole can't pick up my 2 year old thing twice now. I had a c-section when my first baby was 20 months old and had c-section number 3 when my son was 20 months old. It's rough, but just tell yourself it's only temporary. Once you get through the recovery, your little one will completely forget about those 6 to 8 weeks that you couldn't pick them up.

My tips:
1) You can't lift them, but you CAN hold them. Sit down and ask them to climb up in your lap or sit on the floor and have them cuddle with you.

2) Since you can't lift them into a high chair, do finger food meals at the coffee table when you're home alone with the kids.

3) Get childproof locks, doorknobs, and babygates. Keep in mind if your 2 year old runs out side, or into the garage, or some other unsafe area that you won't be able to pick them up. So, childproof the areas you need to keep them away from.

Again, this is only temporary. You will get through it.
Childproofing! Of course....duhhhhh, I hadnt thought of that! I guess with so much on my mind I overlooked the simple things.
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM

We installed childproof latches up high on all of the doors that lead outside so we didn't have to worry about that before my last c-section. I also have a baby gate that keeps the kids out of the kitchen. There are so many things the kids can get into and get her by in the kitchen that I don't want them in there without a grown up. Really good childproofing will take so much of the stress out of your recovery. I even taped up cardboard over the fireplace so I didn't have to worry about my little one digging around in there.
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM

I just had my SAH on March 16th and I have 3 children. The ages range btwn 11yr and 3yr old. My older two completely understand why I can't do much. As for my 3 yr old I'm so surprised how he is really understanding that mommy can't pick him up. He is 3.4yr old and tells me that when I get better I can pick him up? I told him yes when the Dr says mommy is all better. He's been staying with my parents during the day while my husband is at work. He will stay with them this coming week too since I'm still sore and walking a little stiff. My belly binder is really helping him understand what's wrong. He calls it my band-aid. So when he sees it he knows that mommy has a boo-boo. GL
Unread 03-25-2012, 05:01 PM

I didn't have this surgery yet but did have knee surgery last August. I was in the hospital for 3 days with that & while I still limp now, I was very immobile for about 12 weeks after.

We have the living room gated off & as child proof as possible so my son (he's 26 months now) can play and I can rest on the couch while I watch him. I keep drinks in a cooler bag so I don't have to keep getting up or don't have to go far.

He was about 20 months when I had the knee surgery & did adjust quickly that mommy can't pick him up & just stopped asking for me to pick him up. He didn't seem upset & like other said, I would sit on the couch & ask him to come to me.

Good luck. I know this is hard.
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

My youngest is almost 3. He sort of understands that mommy has a boo boo on her belly. My biggest obstacle is to keep him on task with things like getting into the car seat by himself. I can latch him in, but he needs to get into the seat by himself. So, I'm carrying around jellybeans and might carry m&m's later. I give him one if he can get into his seat by himself. I don't really condone giving candy, but it's all I could think of to keep him on task. Otherwise, he'll get into the driver's seat or look around for toys while I'm begging him to just get into his seat. Normally, I'd just plop him in there, but that isn't an option any more.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM

I had mine 10 days ago, I have an8 yr, 2 yr and 8 month old who is already 20 lbs. I had a TVH. I can't lift my 2 year old, but I just tell her mom us tummy hurts and she snuggles up on the couch with me. My son will crawl up to me, use my legs to stand and whine for pick ups, and I've found if I'm sitting on the sofa or recliner, I can sort of haul him up using my arms with no pain whatsoever. I still have someone with us during the day, so I'm not having to lift or chase him, but I can do a lot more than I expected in terms if being able to feed them, play gently, and enjoy quality time together. Things are going so well, I'm going to talk to the doc about possibly raising my weight restriction from 10 lbs to 20 so I can at least pick up the baby. As for my 2 year old, we play and keep her distracted, and she hasn't wound up in the street or anything. It takes a bit for them to get used to mommy not lifting them, but after awhile, they don't even notice. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register