What made you feel good post op?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What made you feel good post op?? What made you feel good post op??

Unread 03-25-2012, 08:51 AM
What made you feel good post op??

Im trying to prep for post op. My big day is mon 4/9. I've picked up a bag full of stuff from bath & body works (and I NEVER buy that stuff), it was a good deal whats a girl to do! Anyway, since ive been out of work some lately, and will be for 8 wks post op, our $ will be tight. So im trying to prepare myself for a comfy recovery on a budget! I figured showers and baths (not sure when I can take a bath post op tho) would be soothing, mind as well have some aromatics to go with it. Ummmm some new comfy pjs. Ugggghh....candles. Whatelse hystachicks? Oh yeah I saw a previous suggestion of new sheets....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Re: What made you feel good post op??

Hey Bittersweets!! coming soon!!
While I am not post-hyster, I AM post Lap, 7 weeks. She did a LOT during it, so it is my closest encounter.

I have purchase Oil of Olay Body wash, it feels and smells heavenly! I was not allowed a tub bath for 4 weeks, so I assume it will be much the same. The first time I had a bath, I closed the door, lit candles, and drew a bubble bath. I did not come out for an hour( I'm a bath girl!)

I have also purchased two pillow pets, a peewee tye-dye rabbit, and a large tye-dye unicorn, because I am a geek! I also found a plushie purple robe at walmart clearanced for 9$!! I am so going to be a princess!!
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM

I totally did same thing. Big time prep before surgery for post op was huge for me. I started getting ready a week before surgery lol...i am now 17 days post op and its been a whole new experience wow. i thought having kids was an eye opener, but having an lavh leaving ovaries has totally been quite the shock. to help you out here is what i did the first part of post op. lots and lots of rest, lots of meds to help with pain and gravol for nauseau, gas releasing pills, peppermints, weak ginger tea, plain greek yogurt small amounts papaya, supportive loving friends. I totally didnt have a shower until the 6th day of post op, and truly i didnt have to as doing absolutely nothing didnt call for needing a shower, baths were definitely not even thought of post op as i had been thinking of pre op lol. watched and read programs and materials that help me be relaxed and at peace which is related to biblical programs and the bible, and lots of prayer and praise to God...I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:28 PM
What made you feel good post op??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicathelton View Post
Hey Bittersweets!! coming soon!!
While I am not post-hyster, I AM post Lap, 7 weeks. She did a LOT during it, so it is my closest encounter.

I have purchase Oil of Olay Body wash, it feels and smells heavenly! I was not allowed a tub bath for 4 weeks, so I assume it will be much the same. The first time I had a bath, I closed the door, lit candles, and drew a bubble bath. I did not come out for an hour( I'm a bath girl!)

I have also purchased two pillow pets, a peewee tye-dye rabbit, and a large tye-dye unicorn, because I am a geek! I also found a plushie purple robe at walmart clearanced for 9$!! I am so going to be a princess!!
Lol, im such a geek too! I always wanna buy the girlie princess stuff but talk myself out of it thinking "you're an adult!"...but soon ill he a princess, and ill have to do things that princesses do like wear fluffy robes!

Those were great suggestions of ways to stay busy...after my lap I had a few mos ago, Netflix was my best friend!
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Things that made me feel good post-op
1. A stronger closer relationship with my higher power
2. Tummy pillow
3. Easy to make foods
4. Lots of water & 7up *really helped with burping gas out
5. Sticking with a positive attitude and visualizing being recovered
6. shower chair

Something that would have made it alittle easier * more night gowns!
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM

One of the surprising things that made me feel better were soft, silky underwear that didn't hit my incision (in a larger size to account for swelly belly). I'll never fit into them again (I hope!) but when I felt rotten, it was nice to have something feminine and not the old cotton 6-to-a-bag brands. I didn't realize how important it would be to feel feminine.
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissy78 View Post
Something that would have made it alittle easier * more night gowns!
So true. I only have 2 nightgowns because I am a jammies girl and I thought that I would wear that post-op. Turns out I couldn't stand having a waistband, no matter how loose, so I am wearing nightgowns with a robe on top. Get a variety of post-op comfy wear. What is normally comfy may not be when you get home. Also a body pillow and a gazillion normal pillows are a must if you want to sleep comfortably. I am 19 days post-op and my laptop has been my best friend. On it I watch movies, tv shows, play games, surf the web, read books, and talk to family and friends on Skype. Entertainment is a must. It keeps you from going crazy. Hope this helps!
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM

Yes, I guess that's what my goal is I hadn't even noticed that. Suddenly I want all kinds of girly stuff.

And gowns gowns gowns, got it! Hadnt thought of that either but ill be sure to pick some up.

How about the 7up! Niiiiice! I wonder if another carbonated beverage would work just as well like ginger ale or sprite?
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Yoga pants (Danskin brand you can get at WalMart) were a lifesaver for me!! They are so comfortable!! It also gave me great comfort to have a pillow handy for my belly. I also bought me a new robe on clearance which was so nice to have when walking at the hospital. I basically wore my yoga pants and big tshirts postop. I still wear my yoga pants since they are so comfortable! I also agree about the Bath and Body Works stuff. After a shower it felt so good to just put lotion and body spray on.
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Ginger ale will work just as well. My must haves:
1. Heating Pad!
2. Small pillow to put between knees so I could lay on my side
3. I totally splurged and bought a $50 nightie. Soft, pretty blue flowers, lace trim and long enough to be worn around the house without a robe (my surgery was July). I usually wear $8 Walmart nighties and I knew I'd want to feel pretty and feminine post op.
4. Stock up on books, dvd's, knitting or cross stitch. Although I couldn't personally focus on reading or sit long enough to cross stitch, many ladies do.
5. When people say "let me know if you need anything" answer them right away with, "thank you, I would love if you could make us dinner once a week" or drive kids to school, drive me to the doctor, etc. it's easier to accept when they offer than bring it up later.
6. Soft fluffy socks and soft fluffy throw blanket.
I was unable to wear anything with a waistband for 6 weeks. I lived in nighties and sundresses. Thank goodness I bought a sundress preop because I needed to run to the doctors a couple times and also for ct scan etc. be prepared to have something to wear if you need to go out.

Freeze lots of food and scrub your house. You will not be able to do housework for 6 weeks or longer. And I was amazed at 3 weeks post op how difficult I found it to make one meal a day. Lifting pots and pans and carrying them to the stove was painful and exhausting.

Go out with your family for a fun day before your surgery. Go bowling, picnic, scenic walk, throw a frisbee, anything. You will be housebound for a while and not very social so enjoy your family.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register