Scheduled TAH 2 days away ...questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days away ...questions 2 days away ...questions

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM
2 days away ...questions

Hello,
Well Wednesday is the big day ...part of me is looking forward to having it done and part of me is still nervous. I will be having a TAH ....I know every doctor is different but what do they usually give for pain medicine the day of surgery? How long do you usually have the catheter? The other question is ...I live four hours away from the hospital ..so should I make plans to make a pallet in the back of the van to sleep on the way home?
My 5 yr old has become sick with a virus ...praying he feels better before my surgery and that I don't catch it ...I would hate for anything to delay the surgery.
Thanks everyone! Good luck and Blessings to all having surgery soon!
Mackenzie age 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Re: 2 days away ...questions

Oh my...
TAH (or any other procedure) pain medicine is part of standard protocol.

Catheter was out (for me) within 24 hours, as soon as I could pass urine on my own.

4 hours is a long drive. Personally, I would plan on trying to sleep it off.

Hopefully your son feels better and you "don't buy what he's selling" in terms of the illness he's harboring.
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM

I know it's scarey but in a few months you will be glad you did it!
As you said every doctor is different mine gave me versid ( sedative) before I went to the OR. So I don't remember anything after kissing my husband..lol when I woke up I had an IV pump with morphine most docs used morphine or fentanyl. I also has a catheter! My doctor made me stay 1 1/2 days as I had a vaginal hyster. If you live that far from home you be very tired and sleep most of the way home I would think. The following morning after surgery they removed IV and catheter and I was given pain pills untill I was released that night. I am sure the doctor will go over all of that prior to the surgery, I was lucky enough to have my doctor come in and talk with me before surgery and even pray with me.....made me alot calmer and the versid sure didn't hurt ..lol
Best of luck as you enter this club, I have been here only a few weeks and have learned so much and felt so cared about by everyone...You will be in my prayers for a great recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:32 PM

I'm not sure what the medication was, but it worked. An older sister told me to ask for the pain meds as soon as I awoke from surgery. I woke up in less pain than I thought I was going to have, but I'm glad I thought to ask about it immediately.

My cath was in till the next morning. It was no big deal having it in, and no big deal getting it out.

For your ride home, Lots of Pillows, no matter where you ride - and in the hospital take a tummy pillow or two. I suggest looking into the abdominal binder too. (on this site, or elsewhere) It keeps everything from jiggling too much. I used it for laying on my side, walking, bowel movements, car rides, and now I use it for a little support at the end of the day.

It's totally normal to have mixed feelings...right up to the door. Now that I'm on the other side, I am looking forward to the new me, the positive things that I get because of the surgery.
Unread 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks so much for the information! I've been packing today and will add the abdominal binder to my bag. Think I'll also plan to take things to make a pallet in the back and then I can have my choice. Hoping all goes well and that tomorrow goes by quickly.
Thanks again! See you in post op!
Mackenzie
Unread 03-26-2012, 03:33 PM

I think lying down in the back of the van is an excellent idea. 4 hours is a very long ride. You won't be able to sit that long.

I was in hospital for 2 nights for my surgery. The first day I had morphine in my IV. The next day I had 2 Tylenol 3 every 4 hours. And that's what I took at home when I was discharged.

My catheter came out the next morning. It was really not a big deal. Didn't enjoy having it taken out but it only took 1 second.

Wishing you the best as you head into surgery.
Unread 03-26-2012, 03:41 PM

My heart is with you as you await your surgery date. I was totally nervous and tried to prepare way ahead of time and i had to travel almost 2 hours away from my home, so yes i was wondering how i was going to be able to handle that too..a friend of mine came to pick me up and now that time has gone by i can giggle bout the whole scene as it was very comical really, as i tried to get in the truck was a tremendous attempt and than i tried sitting in front seat adjusting myself and the seat to be in a position that was comfy, and in meantime a car behind was waiting and waiting at the pick up zone for us to get it together, but i just couldnt get comfynor could i sit up and thankgoodness my friend had a full seat in the cab of the truck which was a small cab in back, but ime short so it worked for me. i put couple pillows and blankets tucked around me and tried to sleep through drive which i wasnt able to do even on pain meds it was a rough ride, and than i had to go pee so bad after the first hours drive and i couldnt wait nor hold it, so wee had to pull over side of road in middle of night, i was worried of peeing outside in the cold weather, was worried bout infection, and it was late at night...But i managed to get it done and thankgoodness ime okay...so just a little note if your travelling long ways and there is no stores along the way for bathroom break, you may want to bring along a port a potty if thats feasable...My doc put me on oxycodone and dicloflenac for pain and inflammation...And most importantly of all things to do is yes i absolutely believe in prayer. May you be at peace
Unread 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM

i havent had mine yet, scheduled for april 10th but i got a lot of info from my doc. she said i will be put on morphine drip after surgery and then pain meds the following days and when i go home. cathedar will come out the following morning she said.
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM

My heart is with you as well! I was a wreck before my surgery. We live in an isolated community and I had to travel to another town for my surgery. I would be away from my home for 2 weeks. We have an amazing hospital that doesn't rush you home. My pre op was on a friday so I had to fly up on a wed and then my pre op was fri I was admitted on Sunday night, surgery Monday morning and discharged on Saturday, Stitches out on Monday and clear to fly home on wed. So thats a total of 2 weeks away from home. We clearly couldn't have the kids (13 and 16) out of school for 2 weeks so I had to choose when would be best for my husband to come up and be with me.

I had an awesome friend who helped me during the time in the hospital and my husband came up on the Thursday after my surgery and stayed until I was able to come home. We had our kids stay with friends for that week. It was an awesome call !!!! I was too tired and sleepy to even be company to anyone the first few days.

The night before the surgery the asestheolgost (oppsie) came in and put in the IV and I had an enema. ( I was scared of that word but it wasn't a big deal...you squeeze a liquid into your rectum and then you pass a liquid bowel movement)

The morning of my surgery I had an oral pill (adavan) to help me relax. When I went into the the OR he put something into my IV. I was really scared and all I could think was "maybe I should leave and just leave and go home or I still have time not to get it done!) The pill before I went into the OR and the IV first medicine....were awesome !!!I was terrified of the epidural but I was totally willing to do it when the time came . He gave me an epidural (just for pain control...I could still move my legs) and I remember nothing after that. He said that the epidural would last 9 hours and he was right! I had demoral shots every 4 hours for the next 2 days. I was then switched to anstol 30 (tylenol 3's I think it's also called) and then I went to tramacet (after being released) in the day time and anstol 30's at night for 4 nights. Then regular tylenol every 5 hours for over a week.

DON'T TRY TO BE A HERO!!!! If they offer pills or needles for pain control take them! I tried on day 4 to come off pills BAD IDEA!!!!! Take them and allow yourself time to recover!

You will do lots of sleeping! If you are tired...rest!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register