Scheduled TAH Looking for your suggestions re pain and info on HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for your suggestions re pain and info on HRT Looking for your suggestions re pain and info on HRT

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Looking for your suggestions re pain and info on HRT

Hi Ladies -I'm new here.

My uterus is currently enlarged to 12.3 cm x 5cm x 4.9 cm. I have one fibroid that is 6.1 x 6.6 x 5.5 (growing fast) and a smaller one that just showed up. I feel so full/bloated, look somewhat pregnant and keep getting larger pants! My periods are tough. Finally decided to do the surgery and am scheduled for TAH on 4/5/12. Getting more and more nervous each day.

I'm mostly worried about dealing with the pain immediately after surgery...not being able to move. 20 years ago when I had a c section, I remember that I couldn't turn on my side - move left or right in the bed after surgery because it was so painful.

I'm also worried about the cost of HRT. My co-payment for prescriptions is really high for name brand drugs.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated!
_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Re: Looking for your suggestions re pain and info on HRT

I had the same surgery six weeks ago today. Everyone has a different pain tolerance but I can honestly say that I was never really in "pain". I was sore but that was about it. My doctor and the nursing staff made sure that they stayed on top of the pain. My ovaries were also removed but I have not started on any HRT yet so I can't assist with that question. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:02 PM

I did not have a TAH, so I can't compare my pain to that. I was concerned about what pain I would have and was surprised at how well managed it was. I took narcs for five days along with 800mg of ibuprofen then just the ibuprofen. I could not sleep on my side/tummy for about three weeks but many pillows helped me get comfy. I take Estradiol 1mg. It's $4 per month from Target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Had TAH last Thursday and really, I had about zero pain. Soreness - YES! - but pain? No. The incision just drives me crazy now because I try to stand and walk and the darn thing tingles and tugs and pulls...not painful, but annoying as all get out! Internally, I am swollen and achy, but again, not painful. I take Lortab and ibuprofen together and I am able to move around without too much trouble. I had way more pain before surgery than I do now.

As for HRT, no idea. I kept one ovary. Hopefully I don't need HRT. And hopefully somebody else will jump on and answer this for you. Good luck on April 5th Peace.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register