Anticipated time in OR~~>3 hrs DH's reply: "what am I supposed to do?" - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anticipated time in OR~~>3 hrs DH's reply: "what am I supposed to do?" Anticipated time in OR~~>3 hrs DH's reply: "what am I supposed to do?"

Unread 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Re: Anticipated time in OR~~>3 hrs DH's reply: "what am I supposed to do?"

My parents said goodbye to me at check in and came back in the evening (my surgery was at 9am and 3.5 hours long). Don't forget that they will have to wait linger than 3 hours to see you. You will be in recovery for about an hour before they move you to your room. It is totally permissible to leave the waiting room. They could leave and come back. Or they could wait. Whichever is best for you situation. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM

My DH is more nervous than me also. WE were talking about that just last night. They may feel helpless and full of fear. I had a lap 6 weeks ago, so he already had a slight practice run with the surgery waiting room. I also plan to pack him a goodie bag for the waiting room and leave him my cell phone that has internet access. I'm also thinking about finding him a small hand held video game. He plays video games at home, so even if it's inferior, it should at least be something to occupy his time.
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM

My doc said your spouse or closest relative is supposed to be there to make decisions if complications arise, since you won't be able to speak for yourself. Personally, my hubby knows to fight hard for my ovaries if that becomes an issue.

My hubby doesn't like to wait for anything. He's the type that always likes to have something to do. I know he'll be there thinking, "wow I really should be mowing the lawn" or something similar. I'm sure he'll surf the web on his tablet PC the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:27 PM

My DH left for a little while, like someone else said - it's really more than the 3 hour surgery time, because of the recovery room time. As long as the waiting room/hospital staff have a number to reach him, they usually don't expect someone to sit that long. My doc had no problem buzzing my hubs on his cell phone while I was in recovery. I have a vivid memory of waking up and her standing at the foot of my bed talking to my guy from her cell phone and letting him know all went well! Right when they were wheeling me from recovery (which was when he'd been allowed to see me had he been sitting there the whole time) he arrived with my neighbor and they walked along side me as they wheeled me to my room!
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM

My DH was also ordered to " fight for my ovaries " at all costs during my laparoscopy 6 weeks ago. It will again be his job when I have my hysterectomy April 4. I told him if he leaves the waiting area and the Dr comes out to talk to him and he's not there, resulting in ovary removal, he will be paying for it for the rest of his life! lol
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Lol! Ill have to talk to DH about that then, just to make sure hes clear on my wishes. Just when I think he's got it hell give me the blank stare and **crickets**!
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM

My surgery took a little over 4 hours. Since we knew it could take a while my husband went and got breakfast for himself(my surgery was at 7am) came home and finished the last little bit of housework up and ran the van through th car wash and still had an hour to kill when he got there. He used my iPad and kept himself busy the last hour. It helped keep him from going crazy sitting there the whole time :-)
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM

My surgery was about 2 hours. I asked if DH could leave but surgeon said no, he wanted to talk with him right after surgery. DH splurged on a Nook and he had his phone to play with. Prior to surgery, I created two text messages that were already "addressed" to people at work and friends. All he had to do was add any incidental comments and then click send. That way he did not have to remember who should get a text and I knew the people who were waiting to hear, would hear. He did have to call my parents though.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM

I told my husband to go to work after they wheeled me in the OR. I figured i was in good hands and he could try to keep himself busy so that when I got out of surgery and in my room he will be ready to just sit with me and not ready to get moving after sitting around for a few hours waiting for me.
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM

Hospitals in my area require the person with you to stay during the entire procedure. They can go to the cafeteria, chapel, etc, but they must remain on the grounds,
My MIL came along to keep hubby company. He also brought his laptop and they watched movies.
Best of Luck,
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register