Had no idea I'd be this run down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had no idea I'd be this run down Had no idea I'd be this run down

Unread 03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Had no idea I'd be this run down

Ok, I'll admit, I didn't check in right after my surgery on 3/8. I had HS on my mind, but I felt like a BIG BABY and didn't want to post complaining stuff. I'll also admit there were some posts that I read that scared me, so I'd avoid them.

And yet here I am. It's real.

I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped. First week was the hardest. Tomorrow is my 3rd week since my surgery. My doctor cleared me to return to work this last Monday - part-time. She assured me I wouldn't want to be there any longer than that. The weekend prior I felt much better (2 1/2 weeks post-op). My hubby took me to see Hunger Games - my first public outing (although, we went to a late showing at my request). I went back to work on Monday (I'm an office manager at a doctor's office). I felt fine. Took kiddos to school, picked them up. I'm not lifting anything - family has been a big help.

And then yesterday (Tuesday) at work I felt like a TRUCK hit me. Just drained and run down. I left work after working 2 hours. Came home and rested. This morning I took the kids to school and then came home and CRASHED. I don't feel like eating much and I felt pain in my abdomen. Ibuprofen has helped.

I called my doc and she ordered a CBC to be sure I am not anemic. I just got back from the lab. My sister took me to get this done. She picked up my kiddos from school, too.

What is wrong with me? I feel like crying - the first since my surgery. I hate this feeling of being run down. The doctor said that this was the biggest complaint from her patients recovering from a hysterectomy. Am I over doing it? Has anyone else felt like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Re: Had no idea I'd be this run down

hello hedwig. i am also post op 3wks tomorrow same as you, and i just want to write you and let you know your not alone in this and i too am having same things as you right now. yesterday morn i woke up and felt so depressed and very achy, lots of pain, sore. i tried walking lots throughout the day to ease off the heaviness and pains to feel better, and i crashed in afternoon for like 2hrs, i ended up taking a pain pill cuz i wasnt in the mood to have that old normal battle and fight with. now usually in the past of cycles i would fight it and truly before surgery i was in so much pain from all the horror i went through during each cycle which left me absolutely exhausted, so right now ime thinking i am going to take care of myself and if i need a pain med than ime going to take it as my whole body is worn out from years of battling great pains every month..ime not saying its an eazy quick fix, what ime saying is i am so very tired of fighting my way through pains that this is a special time to just relax and take care of self and be at peace. my heart is with you and i too felt like crying deeply like a deepness with in my started yesterday morn and this morn, and yes i feel so rundown right now...so yes i too am having an appt with doc on friday for my first checkup and i hope he doesnt minimize what ime going through. and truly from what you say how your doing this whole time, i personally think your doing great. i dont think what your going through is abnormal, ime going through same thing so this is reassuring for me too since your going through this than i think its a normal symptom. but yes i agree too that if we have concerns that absolutey we need to share it all with our docs. Peace be with you
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM

I am 5 weeks post op and I still tired at different times. I have not returned to work and could not imagine going back sooner than 6 weeks. Please take it as easy as possible and maybe take an additional week off to fully get back to yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig934 View Post

What is wrong with me? I feel like crying - the first since my surgery. I hate this feeling of being run down. The doctor said that this was the biggest complaint from her patients recovering from a hysterectomy. Am I over doing it? Has anyone else felt like this?
I totally get where you are coming from. I had my surgery the same day as you and I am having some of the same issues. At my 2 week checkup my doctor asked me if I felt I needed 2 more weeks off but I only had enough leave for 1 more so this week is it and I am back to work full time next week. Yesterday (Tues) I couldn't get out of bed until 1pm and today I had to force myself to get up at 10am. I just feel like I am wiped out. I don't know if this is because of my insomnia issues last week catching up or a different problem. I feel like crying almost every day and it's over stupid stuff.
I've also been having bleeding issues which started after I went for a 1 week checkup with the dr who assisted my doctor (he was out of town) and she did a pelvic. When I told my doctor about it the next week he said he doesn't like to do those until later. So now I am wondering if she screwed something up by doing the pelvic exam.
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM

EAT! I didn't have an appetite either so I would just eat crackers. When I didn't eat at all I felt like I was hit by a truck and had no energy. Days before I was walking 30 minutes. What was the difference? I cut back on my calories. Eating makes all the difference in the world. Once you have your energy back and are stronger then you can cut back a bit. Right now it takes all of the energy in the world just to get up.
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM

You had MAJOR surgery. I don't know which procedure you had (I had a TLH) but my doctor explained it this way: You may have had little surgery on the outside but you still had big surgery on the inside. On top of the surgery there are hormonal changes, recovery from anesthesia, and general healing.

You are not a big baby, you are just recovering and doing too much. As Moms we always think we should be Superwoman and we tend to put our selves last but the bottom line is that you need to give your body what it is asking for: time to heal.

What you did on your first day back was a lot. Just b/c you are not lifting does not mean you are not overdoing it. I wish your doctor had told you to slow down. This is not a reflection on you--it's simply your body telling you it needs to heal. It's only been 3 weeks!

Make sure you take care of you--you only get one chance to heal properly. Don't be afraid to take it.
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Ladies,
I'm sorry you are feeling so tired. This is normal. I went thruough this at 3-4 weeks also. It will get better. Also I can't imagine going back to work this early. I went back at 6.5 weeks and didn't think I could make trough the week. Hang in there and rest as much as you can. The surgery does take a LOT of time to recover from.

lot of time to Fully recover from.
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM

Hello ladies,

I know exactly how you feel. I had a partial hysterectomy in July 2011. The first 4 weeks were the hardest. I had my family help out a lot. I had to learn to listen to my body and not over do it. Its been 8 months since my surgery and at times my belly is a little tender in certain spots. My incision is from the top of my belly button to my pubic area. At time i have to remind myself to slow it down just a little.

this site is such a big help and i love my hyster sisters. wishing you all a speedy recovery.....and remember to let your love ones help out.
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Hang in there! Give yourself 8 weeks before expecting anything of yourself! Had a TAH/RSO same day as you and I've still only driven once! I helped with house cleaning today (with my husband refusing my help and telling me to go lay back down) and after a couple hours on my feet I passed out for 4 hours. PASSED OUT! Heating pad on my feet, ice pack on my belly, hot rice sock on my neck and I was gone.

You should feel good about your recovery so far. You are doing things much quicker than many of us have been able to. Just realize there are different healing "sessions" going on inside your body and some days will be harder on you physically than others. My doc said the internal incisions are not fully fused until 6 weeks, so we are still fresh cut on the inside right now.

Take a day to put the tiara back on and stay in bed in PJ's. The day after you'll feel better again, I promise!
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Ok now my sisters... I suffer from fibromyalgia and it took me about 4 months to fully recover my energy. Such as it is. But the surgery had to be done and I'm glad I got it over with.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register