Pre-Op Hysterectomy & scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Hysterectomy & scared Pre-Op Hysterectomy & scared

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy & scared

OK...I admit it I'm terrified!

I don't know what's worse the fact that I have no control at the moment or that I don't know what I'm walking into.

All I know is that if I hear one more time, "oh, it's no big deal", or "the pain is all in your head, it can't be that bad." I think I'm going to scream.

In all fairness if you've never had "female" issues of any kind then you really don't understand and if you're a guy I can see that, but it does not mean that those of us that have these problems are mental and make it all up just because you can't see the problem. *sorry had to vent for a moment*

I keep reading about when to & when not to return to work, but my doctor said it would be 2-weeks (DaVinci) is this too soon? I keep having people tell me, "it won't hurt, that's why they use the robot & you get to go home the same day." NOT TRUE!! My doctor has to get through years of adhesions, endometriosis, fibroids and cysts too!

I remember from past surgeries (laproscopies) they would fill your abdomen with gas; is this still done? That was probably the worst part because on top of everything else you had to deal with joint pain.

I just don't know what to expect from the surgery and I'm scared. When I try to talk to my husband he doesn't get it. He brushes me off and has been very off putting since he found out about the surgery. I know that this is a good thing (the surgery) because at 33 I have been dealing with this half of my life now (originally diagnosed at 16) and I WANT closure! Is it normal to feel empty? I know I will still be the same person, but I can't help but feel (already) like a part of me will be missing.

Thank you for listening and take care all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy & scared

Everything you are feeling and experiencing right now is normal. I think guys have a hard time because they are not sure how to react or what to do. If you click on the pre op hysterectomy tab on this site, there is so much information there to help you prepare for this surgery.
After the surgery I felt great even though there is pain from surgery. What I noticed missing was all of the pain from continuous periods and a messed up uterus! I have not felt empty, just so much better! My husband has seen the difference and knows how bad it all was.
Waiting for the surgery is the most stressful part.
Keep asking questions, we are here to help!
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy & scared

Okay, first off being terrified is very normal. This is a scary experience.

For recovery, everyone heals different and experiences different levels of pain. Remember, though, that no matter how they enter your tummy, you will have hundreds of internal stitches - same as abdominal hysterectomy. They will provide you with pain meds to handle your pain. You heal better that way.

The number one thing when recovering from a hysterectomy is to listen to YOUR BODY. You know how you are healing, how you feel, how tired you are, and how much pain you are in. You may want to plan on two or three weeks home from work, and go back sooner if you are able. I took three weeks off with my TAH BSO, and then had to do only part time for four more weeks - and that was hard to do.

Good luck to you

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register