I am a mess: surgery 5/31 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a mess: surgery 5/31 I am a mess: surgery 5/31

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I am a mess: surgery 5/31

Hello. I am brand new here and just learning how to use this site. My hysterectomy isn't scheduled yet but it will be soon. I am so filled with anxiety I have lost 10 pounds in a week due to nausia from the anxiety. I had some slight post menopausal bleeding and then an ultrasound that showed a great big fibroid and a thickening lining. Then a pelvic MRI. It was recommended I get a biopsy and a hysterectomy. I had the biopsy after many tries due to a tightly closed cervix. Now I am waiting. It looks like I will have the old fashioned hysterectomy and they will be taking everything out since I am 62. My worse fears causing the anxiety are 1) cancer 2) the operation itself and not waking up again 3) blood clots after and PAIN. Can anyone encourage me? I'm a mess. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Re: I am a mess

Okay, sweetie. First off take a deep breath, now do it again. You have found the right site for support and caring. We are here to help.

I know this is very scary, and all sorts of ideas are running through your head. I know it is hard with a mass growing inside you, but don't get ahead of your diagnosis. Take this one step at a time, one day at a time.

Having surgery is nerve racking, and makes everyone scared and nervous. This is very normal. Know that you will have a whole group of doctors and nurses who will be there just for you, to take care of you, and to watch over you. They will see you through this.

Regarding blood clots, for me they put some wraps on my legs right after surgery that squeezed and then released - I thought it felt really good. My understanding is that these reduce the incidence of blood clots. You will probably get the same.

Recovery can be a long process with this surgery. You need to give your self time to heal, and be very patient. You will need help at home during your recovery for several weeks with cooking, cleaning, dishes, driving, shopping, etc. You will also need to take some time off work. After this, you can slowly move back into your life.

I know this is so overwhelming, but you will get through it. And we will be here every step of the way. Please get on this site post your questions, fears, emotions, etc. It really does help.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Hello NotBrave,

I just went through hysterectomy last week and I was diagnosed with 1st Stage Endometrial Carcinoma. Like yourself, I did have an unusual thick lining in the uterus and heavy bleeding.

During the whole process of identifying the cancer and waiting for my surgery, I mustered all my strength from family and close friends. Specially from my husband who was more concerned than I was. I highly recommend that you to do the same. Share your concerns to others and let them pray for you and encourage you. I learned that this is not the time to keep this to yourself.

Also, since I've never gone through surgery before, I did everything to learn about my illness and the process of surgery and recovery so that I am mentally prepared. Read through different web sites and specially through this support group. As many women have gone through the same experience as I have.

I immersed myself in prayer and allowed others to pray for me. I realized that my spiritual well-being is also important and this gave me peace in my heart.

Finally, I wish you all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 11:14 PM

It's terrifying and very stressful finding out we need this surgery. We all worried about these things too. You can do this and you will arrive safely on the other side. I cried so much before and after my surgery! It was all I could think about. It's a huge life changing event. Just because it's a routine surgery don't let anyone downplay it. You will need help afterwards and its good to plan to expect a couple months to recover. Come here often, we are here for you and we understand.
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:34 PM

You are not alone. Today marks my 1st week of recovery. All those emotions before surgery, I felt and lived with for weeks before my hysterectomy. So many things I thought and worried about. You are not alone and like me I am sure your Dr. and nurses will be there to help. They have a God's gift to help you. I too wore something on my legs to prevent blood clots that was not bad. A friend reminded that this is not a new surgery which comforted me and as you see so many of us have had hysterectomies. This website was my best friend those few days before surgery. Prayers for you.
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:09 AM

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation...53 with postmenopausal bleeding, the ultrasound showing a thickened lining. It is disconcerting and there is no way to make it any easier. I also had to wait for "my date" and finally ended up calling the surgical coordinator three days in a row. Since I am over 50, I have to have an EKG as part of my preop. Now, I get to worry about the hysterectomy, cancer, and failing the EKG (have previously had problems with PVC's). If the surgery is postponed, I'll lose my mind. Try to stay busy, breathe, and lose yourself in a good book or other hobby. Remember to take each day as it comes and leave tomorrow until it happens! Good Luck!
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Thank you to those that sent me replies. I hope you all will be there to help me get thru this. You might be strangers in one way but you are friends in another. Today I just want to cry and cry and cry. The anxiety and fear are awful. Also awful are women that have been through this but have a stronger personality and look at me as "a baby". It makes me feel lonely.
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBrave View Post
Thank you to those that sent me replies. I hope you all will be there to help me get thru this. You might be strangers in one way but you are friends in another. Today I just want to cry and cry and cry. The anxiety and fear are awful. Also awful are women that have been through this but have a stronger personality and look at me as "a baby". It makes me feel lonely.
Sweetheart. You are not a baby. And it's okay to feel sad and overwhelmed and to cry and cry. It's all part of the process. I still cry. This is not an easy thing that you have to do. Allow yourself time to go through the emotions and to grieve. We really aren't strangers, we understand each other's hearts and souls better than most real sisters can. We will ALWAYS be here for you, anytime of the day or night, there are ladies here to wrap their arms around you.
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Hey...take another deep breath. I was in the same boat one week ago today...and now I am lying in my bed recovering from a TAH (the "old fashioned" ) like you'll have and I am FINE!!! I was a wreck and anxiety ridden too.. It's normal. But a hysterectomy is a very common procedure. Your surgeon and anesthesiologist will know exactly what to do and you WILL wake up. That was my fear too. The worst part of this is the time leading up to your surgery day I swear. Get it scheduled and get it over with so you can move on from this and feel better. I almost lost it in my pre op room...but once the doctors all came in and talked to me about it I stated to calm down...plus they gave me some Verced which is an anti anxiety drug. Ask for that as soon as you get to the hospital. It helped a ton. Hang in there, and post your surgery date here when you know it so we can be praying for you. You're going to make it. I've been in your shoes! See you on the other side!!!
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Not Brave, I also had post menopausal bleeding and a biopsy where the oncologist recommended taking everything out. I was so nervous and close to tears in the pre op waiting area. I had my surgery two days ago and can tell you from the other side that you will be ok. The day of surgery goes quickly. The Versed drug in preop will help calm you down. You will wake up. The pain will be managed. I'm resting at home now and will get my pathology reports next week. Hopefully no cancer but the fear of the unknown is the worst part along with the waiting. Move forward and rely on your sisters for support. We are all here for each other.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register