I am a mess: surgery 5/31 - Page 16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a mess: surgery 5/31 I am a mess: surgery 5/31

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Re: I am a mess

I cannot tell you how much you ladies helped me today. THANK YOU! I have heard so many horror stories and even in here I have read so many stories of women that have serious problems after. But you all have pretty positive outcomes and THAT is what I need to hear. The other stories just cause my imagination to go to dark places.
Thank you Thank you Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM

NotBrave. Well, you got through another day. Every day is one day closer to this ordeal being over with. I know some stories on here about complications can scare you, but you have to realize that the vast majority of women get through this with great results and an easy recovery. You will be so happy once it is behind you. Try to keep yourself busy in the mornings since that's when you seem to be most anxious. Go for a walk, go shopping, or spend time with family. If you let your mind go wild, you will make yourself sick. This worry does not do your health any good. Try to relax and know that we are still here with you.

Unread 04-18-2012, 12:47 AM

It is actually my 21 yo daughter who may have a hull hysterectomy by the end of the summer. I am in week 3 post op and trying to help her best I can. Started when she was 16 yo she had a cyst the size of a grapefruit removed along with the right ovary. About 2 years later she develops an abscess and we thought it was taken care of.
This is the worst that happens next. She is bent over in excruciating pain so her dad drives her to the closest hospital. Biggest Mistake ever. They removed the 10 cm cyst and also remove her appendix. Not sure why that was done. A few days after recovery the doctors or nurses do not control her pain post op. Now She has another abscess and it is infected with e-coli. How does that happen, In the last 3 months my daughter has been in the hospital treating this misery 4 times. She was discharged with a pic line so she can do her antibiotics at home.
Needless to say we were finally able to get another hospital to treat her due to the non-concerning urgency to take care of my child. Please join me to pray for her. Her name is Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM

So sorry fir your troubles I will be praying for Ashley.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Oh this is rough for your daughter. I hope and pray on the other side of all this trouble she will be well and happy. I'm praying for her and for you!
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM

will pray for ashley. So young I had a huge cyst burst when I was camping very pain ful and when I had my son. We women sure go through alot. Notbrave hope your feeling better. Your in my prayers too lol
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM

I have just gone down into the pit of fear again. I just want to cry but I'm at work.

I got the call ...

May 10th Appt with doctor to discuss the surgery.
May 25th pre-admit at the hospital
May 31st SURGERY

I am so scared. It will be incisional for sure due to the size of the fibroid. Please Please Please, those that have had an incisional and it wasn't so bad please encourage me. I am in a bad place right now.

I am so NotBrave.
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM

I am actually having my surgery just a few days before yours, so I have not had the "experience" yet, but I can tell you what I am hearing, because like you, I am ASKING EVERYONE--LOL. (My surgery is consuming my life and all of my conversations right now-- my poor husband!)
I am also having mine abdominally-- my fibroid is the size my uterus is supposed to be-- so its all way to big to come out vaginally, and I am glad! Im having them take my ovaries too-- I want it all gone.
I am hearing this:
Abdominally, you will have muscle structures cut, etc, which will make recovery a little more long and tedious, maybe even slightly more painful--- BUT-- when they have you open that way, they can SEE! Thats the kicker----say you have some other adhesions, cysts, etc. that they didnt see on earlier tests---They will be able to see those and remove them RIGHT THEN! That makes me so glad I am having mine done that way. Also, they are really able to sew internally with precision- so your internal stitches will be more exact, and they can take more time. Considering all of your previous trouble, you need to have the confidence of knowing that they looked inside you well-- and did all that was needed.
Another thing to note-- I work in the health care industry and my nurse friends that deal w hysterectomy patients tell me that they rarely see an abdominal patient back in for complications-- however they see several that have been done vaginally, because it is hard to see in there, and many times they clip a bladder, etc. on accident-- that just doesnt happen as much in the abdominal surgeries. Please don't let me discount women who have had vaginal hysterectomies-- they are great also, and many of my friends have had them with no problems. But for me-- a worrier like yourself-- I am glad that I will be able to ask my surgeon what he saw in there and I am glad that he will be able to tell me. Trust me-- you are doing it the best way. We will heal together-- you are going in one week after I am, so I will talk you through as best I can.
And yes you are BRAVE!!!
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Thank you Trhinds. Your post was very positive. And thank you to all the others as well. I seem to need a great deal of positive encourahement.

It is morning so I am obsessing. Now I am obsessing that the large fibroid will be cancerous. My doc said she wants to take it out incisional "just in case" so cancer cells would not be spilt. In my mind that means she suspects it is when maybe it is just the way she likes to go about hysterectomies due to large fibroids.

The D&C was negative.

I'm sorry. You all must be tired of my neediness.
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:33 AM

Sweetie I had c section not bad a lil pain cor aweek and you will be fine there is nothing you cant handle. You are stronger than you think and you will be fine. Lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register