I am a mess: surgery 5/31 - Page 26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a mess: surgery 5/31 I am a mess: surgery 5/31

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Re: I am a mess

Well. Its a two headed dragon.nothing replaces what gos gave us. Vut if you are at risk then removing it would be the choice. Keeping the ovaries would be optimal. If its just pain every month if it were me I would keep it and wait it out if you are facing. Fibroids cysts endo. Then the ansewer would be easy remove it. Dont do anything your not sure of unless it was medical and has to come out. And you would not be in menapause if you are having reg periods. just my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Re: Fom Lovelyladylumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylumps View Post
I am not sure if I am near Menopause. I am not having hot flashes and my periods are montly and regular. I am 53. I called to schedule the surgery and they are supposed to call me back. Am I ready? They say to be 100 percent sure. No I am not sure. I can't imagine being sure. I could wait for menopause but then I may end up having more problems and a TAH when I want a RALH. I am also driving my family crazy. They need to schedule and so does my boss. I know it is about me but I need to move in a direction. I am tired of the pressure, the pain, the peeing and the constipation. I just wish someone would tell me the right answer.

According to my DR, if you are having normal periods then you aren't near menopause. I have worked closely with a lady at work as she went thru it and she started by having the hot flashes but her periods started getting lighter and she might have 2 in a month or skip a month and then have a really heavy one. I doubt that anyone is ever totally sure about having a hysterectomy. I know that I am not and mine is scheduled for tomorrow. The whole idea makes me nervous but living with chronic pain and very heavy periods are invading my quality of life so I have settled into the idea that it isn't a question of being sure for me, it is my life that is most important. If you are having health issues and your DR feels this will help you have better quality of life then I would go for it and not wait. I pray your DR will hurry and get you scheduled so you will feel better. I totally understand where you are coming from. You are not alone in this. Thinking of you.
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Hey everybody, Topchef here. I am 6 days post op...wow that went fast! and I am laying in my bed, lazily reading posts and my heart aches for all of you who are still waiting...and wondering...and worrying...

I am here to tell you...this waiting period is the worst part. I feel so wonderful right now, words cannot adequately express. I think the biggest part is that the HUMONGOUS cloud of worry has been lifted. That, in and of itself will make you feel a hundred times better. But I really have had the "best case scenario". I walked into the hospital one week ago tomorrow with my husband. I was shaking like a leaf. When the nurse closed the curtain for me to change into the "johnnie" I sat there for a minute, looked at hubby and burst into tears. I was beyond scared. My poor husband...he didn't know what to do or say...except, it'll be ok, hon...

BUT, that is where the bad stuff ended. The nurses asking me questions, filling out forms, putting in my iv line were fan-tab-u-lous. So kind and funny and just wonderful. They told me they were going to give me something to calm down...and that, my dear friends, is the last thing I remember.

I do not remember going to the OR...I asked my doc later, how did I get to OR and he said by wheelchair. I was horrified! I said, was my head lolling around and my tongue hanging out??? He said, no, you were awake the whole time!

I do not remember ANY of the operation beginning. I do not remember spending any time in recovery! I do remember my doctor's face right in front of me saying, do you remember anything we talked about in recovery? And I replied, I don't remember recovery at all.

From the time I put my johnnie on until I was comfortably ensconced in my private (!) room after all was over is a complete blur. I do know my surgery was 3 hours. And I must have been in recovery for about 2 hours.

When my husband was in my room...he was amazed that I got up out of bed. So was I actually. My pain level never went above maybe a 2...albeit with the help of vicadin and ibuprofin...My catheter came out the next morning...I went to bathroom (slowly but surely walking!) and then started taking my 3 walks a day. They gave me a chewable pill to break up any gas bubbles and it must have worked cause I had no gas pain...maybe the second night...a little gas...very nice, let me know things were working!

And again, this whole experience including the unexpected complication during surgery has been a breeze. Almost too good to be true so that is why I am being super careful not to over do anything.

I read what others said about cleaning house. Yesterday I cleaned my kitchen...NOT the regular way but VERY VERY slowly. I know my family must have thought it was clean, because there were no dirty dishes in the sink...but the counters were sticky (!) and the table had crumbs everywhere and the microwave had stains...don't get me started on the stove...I took an hour to shine things up a bit. I was really careful not to bend and push too hard or stretch...but I DO NOT recommend because I felt a little sick afterwards...nothing too bad but I will just steer clear of kitchen for awhile!

Well, ladies, I wish you all the best. This is, again, the hardest part...but there is more than a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There is a tremendous sense of well-being, and I can't wait for you all to share it with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchef View Post
I am here to tell you...this waiting period is the worst part.
Unfortunately for many, waiting is not always the worst part. In fact, there is a Hystersisters article written on this subject. It's important to note also that there are women who have a very positive hysterectomy experience. Some, like topchef, have a better-than-average experience but not many women report a pain level of no higher than 2.

Pre-op is a very stressful time for just about everyone. Take this time to ask questions and also familiarize yourself with our PreOp articles. Believe me, they will help relieve a lot of fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchef View Post
And again, this whole experience including the unexpected complication during surgery has been a breeze. Almost too good to be true so that is why I am being super careful not to over do anything.
It's wonderful to hear from members, like topchef, who have had nothing but good news to report since her surgery. Topchef, thank you for your posts. That being said, it's important to keep things in perspective. Your upcoming surgery may not be the best experience and it may not be the worst; but to expect a hysterectomy to be a piece of cake isn't realistic.

Best of luck to all of you. More than likely your experience will not be as bad as you may think, but understand that topchef's experience so far is better than most.

Unread 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Unfortunately for many, waiting is not always the worst part. In fact, there is a Hystersisters article written on this subject. It's important to note also that there are women who have a very positive hysterectomy experience. Some, like topchef, have a better-than-average experience but not many women report a pain level of no higher than 2.

Pre-op is a very stressful time for just about everyone. Take this time to ask questions and also familiarize yourself with our PreOp articles. Believe me, they will help relieve a lot of fears.

It's wonderful to hear from members, like topchef, who have had nothing but good news to report since her surgery. Topchef, thank you for your posts. That being said, it's important to keep things in perspective. Your upcoming surgery may not be the best experience and it may not be the worst; but to expect a hysterectomy to be a piece of cake isn't realistic.

Best of luck to all of you. More than likely your experience will not be as bad as you may think, but understand that topchef's experience so far is better than most.

I guess I didn't realize I was giving a perhaps less than realistic expectation to the ladies. Please forgive me. My intention was honorable, I assure you.

I should also add that my pain level was so low with the help of IV narcotics and then pills...who knows what it would be without that help.

Again, I'm sorry, and I'll watch what I say from now on.
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Topchef, please don't apologize for posting your experience. I think it's wonderful that you are doing so well. It's helpful to see both the good and not so good, and also the great stories like yours.
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM

girls. I agree with most of the advice I am reading. The waiting was extremely hard for me, the surgery was easy because I was asleep, the recovery has been easier in some ways but harder than I expected in other ways. everyone recovers at a different rate. My incisions healed very nicely (I had a DvH), and the peace of mind was awesome (no cancer). My biggest problems were BM issues (constipation) and fatigue. I am back to normal activities but still tire easily. I also struggle with constipation, but it's getting better.

NotBrave, Seems like you are doing much better. You seem to be taking things one day at a time and trying to stay positive which is really important. Your date is coming up and you will come out on the other side just fine. Keep posting and keeping us infomed - we are all praying for you to have a really successful surgery and easy recovery.

lovelyladylumps - I think you have to make the decision with the help of your doctors that really feels good to you and is right for your health. I know you will put lots of thought into it and then just go forward and don't look back. You can drive yourself crazy by second guessing your decision. We will be here for you.

topchef - I'm so happy that you are doing so well! That's awesome! Don't ever feel bad about posting a positive experience here. It is common for most women to post the complications and problems because they can come here for help and advice, but it's important for all of us to hear about the positive experiences too. I hope you continue to do well and keep posting!

Lots of love and to all of you!
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:06 PM

My surgery went well very little pain it was the hormones that I struggled with. And here is a intresting fact. The brain only knows pain for the time that it was in . It can only remember the experiece but not the pain. I can say yes I was sore but I dont remember it. Our bodies are masters at healing. They know how to do it. one thing a great np told me was to heal slowly it will cause less adhesions. But as for the surgery I guess it would be how you personaly handle it. And we are here for you every step of the way
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:48 PM

I am absolutely blown away by the posts I find here. So much encouragement and support! Thank you all so much. The scripture verses and so much more! You all are the best and I love you all.

2 weeks from today! I can't wait until this is over. This has been going on since March and it is exhausting. I have tried so hard to just be calm and rest in the Lord. He KNOWS.

I am calmer and I hope and pray I can hold onto it. It is all just so scary.

LovelyLadyLumps are you going to go forward with the surgery? Do you feel certain you need to have it done? I know at 53 I wondered why I wasn't having any menopausal symptoms yet. I think it was because the fibroid was growing and just putting out all that estrogen. Now it is grapefruit size and that means abdominal incision. So I will do what I need to do and that is all you can do too. Hopefully you will feel at peace in your decision. Meanwhile we will move forward together and KNOW all will be well!
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Notbrave.
so glad to see u have some peace. Keep the faith. I am still waiting for the dr. Office to call me to give me my date, i get so nervous everytime the phone rings but i kno the sooner it is done the better i will be , just like you.
God Bless us all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register