I am a mess: surgery 5/31 - Page 27 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a mess: surgery 5/31 I am a mess: surgery 5/31

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Re: I am a mess

I have called to schedule surgery and after 3 calls out they promised to call me back tomorrow. MY boss and my husband are itching for a date to plan accordingly. I am moving forward for the following reasons:

1) The Pain
2) The Pressure
3) Disruption of a normal sex life
4) Frequent Urination
5) Constipation
6) Unsure of when menopause is
7) To get a less invasive surgery
8) To lessen risks of larger fibroids and other complications

Thanks so much for bearing with me as I act insanely indecisive. I really appreciate all of you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Notbrave.
so glad to see u have some peace. Keep the faith. I am still waiting for the dr. Office to call me to give me my date, i get so nervous everytime the phone rings but i kno the sooner it is done the better i will be , just like you.
God Bless us all.
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM

ladies---I am another one who will side with Topchef. I am now 8 weeks out. I was a total wreck for a month before surgery. I wasn't sleeping and closer to surgery I broke down in the doctors' offices and also at the hospital when they came to shave me (I hadn't been told that would happen.) I had an abdominal incision but I would say that my pain level was kept low. The doctor used some sort of abdominal block which kept me pain free the first 24 hours plus and I definitely knew when it started wearing off. But I made sure to stay on top of the pain meds after that and took them regularly for five days, then i was OK. I was back walking regularly by 10 days but not lifting, carrying etc. and napping quite a bit. I was well enough to go to a quilt retreat, but was on doctor's orders not to sit for more than 2 hours at a time---so I took regular walk breaks. I did take gas meds (Gas X) for several weeks as gas could get uncomfortable and I also used stool softeners to ensure no straining. I was surprised at the low pain level and healing time---much better than I had expected and I am now back to normal other than having to regain my ab muscles and physical strength/endurance for workouts (not everyday stuff). I am 59 and post-menopausal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Saying prayers for you both say one for me having second biopspi on lymp on mon. Yes it takes forever to get there. And the waiting is hard but god is waiting here with us. Hes not superised he knows the outcome. A friend of mine made sense after battling breast cancer she said if god decides to leave me or take me I will always be with him. Lol
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Thank you ---- these help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchef View Post
Hey everybody, Topchef here. I am 6 days post op...wow that went fast! and I am laying in my bed, lazily reading posts and my heart aches for all of you who are still waiting...and wondering...and worrying...

I am here to tell you...this waiting period is the worst part. I feel so wonderful right now, words cannot adequately express. I think the biggest part is that the HUMONGOUS cloud of worry has been lifted. That, in and of itself will make you feel a hundred times better. But I really have had the "best case scenario". I walked into the hospital one week ago tomorrow with my husband. I was shaking like a leaf. When the nurse closed the curtain for me to change into the "johnnie" I sat there for a minute, looked at hubby and burst into tears. I was beyond scared. My poor husband...he didn't know what to do or say...except, it'll be ok, hon...

BUT, that is where the bad stuff ended. The nurses asking me questions, filling out forms, putting in my iv line were fan-tab-u-lous. So kind and funny and just wonderful. They told me they were going to give me something to calm down...and that, my dear friends, is the last thing I remember.

I do not remember going to the OR...I asked my doc later, how did I get to OR and he said by wheelchair. I was horrified! I said, was my head lolling around and my tongue hanging out??? He said, no, you were awake the whole time!

I do not remember ANY of the operation beginning. I do not remember spending any time in recovery! I do remember my doctor's face right in front of me saying, do you remember anything we talked about in recovery? And I replied, I don't remember recovery at all.

From the time I put my johnnie on until I was comfortably ensconced in my private (!) room after all was over is a complete blur. I do know my surgery was 3 hours. And I must have been in recovery for about 2 hours.

When my husband was in my room...he was amazed that I got up out of bed. So was I actually. My pain level never went above maybe a 2...albeit with the help of vicadin and ibuprofin...My catheter came out the next morning...I went to bathroom (slowly but surely walking!) and then started taking my 3 walks a day. They gave me a chewable pill to break up any gas bubbles and it must have worked cause I had no gas pain...maybe the second night...a little gas...very nice, let me know things were working!

And again, this whole experience including the unexpected complication during surgery has been a breeze. Almost too good to be true so that is why I am being super careful not to over do anything.

I read what others said about cleaning house. Yesterday I cleaned my kitchen...NOT the regular way but VERY VERY slowly. I know my family must have thought it was clean, because there were no dirty dishes in the sink...but the counters were sticky (!) and the table had crumbs everywhere and the microwave had stains...don't get me started on the stove...I took an hour to shine things up a bit. I was really careful not to bend and push too hard or stretch...but I DO NOT recommend because I felt a little sick afterwards...nothing too bad but I will just steer clear of kitchen for awhile!

Well, ladies, I wish you all the best. This is, again, the hardest part...but there is more than a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There is a tremendous sense of well-being, and I can't wait for you all to share it with me.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM

i think it is hard to know wen to hav surgery..especially when their is no emergency..my uterine prolapse has been bugging me off and on since 1 1/2 year...ive gone to my dr.s and they say when its really uncomfortable or systamatic then get it....i am scheduled for end of june becuz i hav been having hurting pressure,not being able to empty and ,,,,,,But i hav been walking now and strengthening my core and for some reason the symptoms hav lessened allot....i still will hav to get surgery but i may postpone it...i want to go in knowing i couldnt take it anymore.....my dr.s say only i will know wen it is time..........u will know...
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM

I can only say WOW. There is a lot here to digest. I'm not sure if I feel better or worse reading it all.

There is much being said. I am very glad several of you did so well and can tell the rest of us that the waiting was the worst but I guess the bottom line is that it is so hard to believe the waiting is the worst.

I think if I can just get thru the first week I'll make it. Horrors still fill my mind as to how that is going to be. The time in the hospital brings all sorts of scary things to my mind and then the first few days at home. HELP !!!

After all they are going to cut me open and take a bunch of stuff out! HELP !!! HELP !!!

I think I lost my cool : |
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBrave View Post
I can only say WOW. There is a lot here to digest. I'm not sure if I feel better or worse reading it all.

There is much being said. I am very glad several of you did so well and can tell the rest of us that the waiting was the worst but I guess the bottom line is that it is so hard to believe the waiting is the worst.

I think if I can just get thru the first week I'll make it. Horrors still fill my mind as to how that is going to be. The time in the hospital brings all sorts of scary things to my mind and then the first few days at home. HELP !!!

After all they are going to cut me open and take a bunch of stuff out! HELP !!! HELP !!!

I think I lost my cool : |
Notbrave - it can be quite overwhelming. I wasn't expecting an incision, just a lap procedure and got both. Several times I told my husband after surgery I felt like I'd been 'gutted like a fish' and I think some of that was due to the loss of control. I am over 6 weeks post op now and am soooooo glad they did it. I know I've spent 27 years of my life suffering from crazy female stuff and it is nice to have a light at the end of the tunnel. The time in the hospital wasn't that bad but was happy to be home. It is a little scary. I wasn't so worried about surgery pre operatively but I was a bit ignorant to what lay ahead of me. I was more worried about how my family would deal with me not taking care of things and my work since I'm in charge there. After surgery, I had to let all of that go and focus on doing what I was instructed to do and just get well. In hindsight, I don't regret it at all, just wish I'd found this forum first! Best wishes. Hugs!
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Not brave you hospital will be a blink of an eye. One night tops. And you will be sleepy for most of it. They check on all the time. Thats the part I hate. But glad they do and they give you iv pain meds then some oral. They are prepared for anything. But you will do great. Ive been having some hormone issues with heart pounding but its do the hormones for me I dont know why Im having such a hard time with them. Its getting hot here so that may play into it. But other than that im so glad I dont have the pain. You will do great and soon this will be vehind you
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:06 PM

NotBrave,
Less than two weeks to go! You will make it. Try to keep yourself busy doing things that make you happy. We will be here with you and you will be on the other side before you know it. The worry will be behind you and you can concentrate on recovering and feeling better. Stay strong.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register