Bladder "sling" and Self-catherterize?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder "sling" and Self-catherterize?! Bladder "sling" and Self-catherterize?!

Unread 01-08-2002, 08:10 PM
Bladder "sling" and Self-catherterize?!

Hi Sisters,

I had my pre-op appointment this morning. Went well except for the fact that I have to go back next Monday (the 14th) to have labs done (can only be three days prior to surgery, which is the 17th).

Here's my problem - my doc (a woman who's had a hyster) is planning on doing a bladder sling on me. She told me that I or my husband will have to learn how to caterterize myself for when I'm discharged! I'm sorry to me this sounds barbaric!!

I'm not a skinny woman and I do NOT see how I could possible reach down there, clean myself and see to insert the cath!!??

Peeing when I cough, laugh or sneeze is not fun, but I think I'd rather deal with that than have to deal with trying to figure out who/how to drain my bladder once I'm home!

Oh and like I REALLY want to inflict that sort of pain on myself! That is a major NOT!

Have any others had to go through this situation? Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated

Doc also told me that she may have to do a TAH if there are complications during the TVH. Just what I need to be opened up at both ends. Is this something others here have been told for a "just in case" scenario?

I may be over-reacting to this whole thing, but it is something I feel strongly about.

Hugs,

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2002, 08:31 PM

Hi Treasure! My doctor also told me that if he couldn't get my uterus out vaginally I would wake up with an incision on my belly. I think this is something they have to say just in case. My doctor was able to get my uterus out vaginally, but had to dissect it.

About the bladder sling and catheter...I did not have this done so I don't know anything about it. I do know some of the sisters have had to catheterize themselves and I'm sure they will be along shortle to answer your questions about that. (Personally I would not want to do that either, but I think the ladies who have had to said it was not that big a deal.)

My very best wishes to you! Sending s your way!

Sherry
Unread 01-08-2002, 08:55 PM
I am having the sling done too...

and my doc didnt tell me anything about having to cath myself after coming home, he just did the bladder test on me last week and we talked some but pre op is on the 22nd and I am definatly going to ask!!!! Now I am nervous!!!! (not real small here either)
betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 04:42 AM

HI LAURIE,

I HAD A BURCH DONE WITH MY TAH ON DEC. 17. AT MY PRE-OP THE NURSE SHOWED ME HOW TO SELF CATH AND I PRACTICED AT HOME UNTIL MY SURGERY. I WAS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THIS AT FIRST BUT FINALLY GOT THE HANG OF IT. AFTER MY TAH I WAS ABLE TO GO FINE IN THE HOSPITAL SO I NEVER HAD TO SELF CATH WHEN I CAME HOME. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE THE CASE FOR YOU. I WOULD PRACTICE JUST IN CASE. IT GOT EASIER THE MORE I DID IT.

GOOD LUCK,
SHELBY

P.S.-GLOBS OF LUBRICANT ON THE CATH HELPED WITH DISCOMFORT.
Unread 01-09-2002, 05:13 AM

Hi Laurie (nice name, huh ?)

I too had a Burch repair with my TAH. My Dr. just said before surgery that I might have to come home from the castle with the catheter. Never said anything about self-cathing at home.

Anyways, I drank TONS of water in the castle. The nurses commented about how many times they had to empty my cathether bag !!! My catheter came out at 5:30 a.m. on the morning of my discharge from the castle, and within 1 hour of it being out I had went 3 times on my own !!

Hopefully, your Dr. is just preparing you for what could happen. But, I truly believe that the amount of water that I drank really helped alot.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you do !!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register