Ex smokers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Ex smokers

- Hello well it has been tough the last week or so - I went back to work Jan. 2nd and the fatigue and stress have had me on the verge of wanting a smoke but I refuse I quit two and a half months ago , but it has been tough as periodically I have been moody and very on edge especially at the end of the day with my kiddos- I know it must be mood swings as it is not like me - at times I feel like I am loosing my mind - but I have not smoked and I do not plan to - I love my hubby and kids and am trying not to give in - wish me continued luck -Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 05:31 AM
Keep up the good work!!!

Hi Kat,

I can relate!!! It is tough! I am 9 days now w/ out smoking! Cant wait to say its been 2 1/2 months, but then again Ive been there before and started back up again! I am going to do it this time! Dont give in ok???? You are doing great!!!! Have you tried any herbal teas to take the edge off? I have a tea by celestial seasons called "Tension Tamer!" I drink it every nite and even bought some extra this week! I am using nicorrette also! Are you using anything? Well, if you need someone to talk to please give me a yell ok? We can do this!
Unread 01-09-2002, 08:13 PM
ex smokers

Thanks for the support - I will try to get some of the tea - And no I am not using anything I used a nicotral inhaler before surgery - but it gets tough - I know you can do it too - We need to hang in there - I know I will feel better when I get my energy level back - I was doing so good but going back to work has kicked my bootay - I know it will get better and when the energy comes back I will be happy I am not smoking - Keep it up Good luck - got to go the fatigue is getting to me - HUGS Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Ex smokers

Kat,

You are doing SO good, keep up the great work! I quit smoking for about a week, but have since resumed the habit. I'm vowing, again, to quit tomorrow. You might try asking your doctor for a prescription for Zyban. It works wonders! It has totally taken away my craving for cigarettes. I literally had to force myself to smoke the first few cigarettes after quitting. I know that sounds stupid, but the medication makes quitting so easy in comparison to quitting with nothing at all. I only started again because I was bored out of my mind and missed having my morning cigarette with coffee (dumb, I know). Even though I've started smoking again, I can go all day without 'needing' a cigarette. It is also actually an antidepressant, which seems to regulate mood swings very well.

Kristine
TAH 12-28-01
Unread 01-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Woot Kat!

Hi yas,
I have stopped smoking since my surgery on the 18th of Dec.... It is very hard, but well worth it! You keep strong, and stay true!!!!!
Thinking about you, and HUGS!!!!
Laura
Unread 01-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Ex-smoker also

After being a smoker for a number of years, I have not smoked now for 5 months. For all you that have quit, keep up the good work. I know that it is hard but keep at it. A few months ago I bought some tapes on deep breathing that have really helped me. When I quit I was very irritable but I've stuck with it... the longer I go the better it gets. You may want to start back but pray and keep fighting it will get easier....Dee13
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Ex smokers

You ladies are a Godsend. I am quitting tomorrow. How did
you all quit & how have you continued not to smoke again?
Kat - I totally understand when you talk about stress. I also have a very stressful job - so stressful that sometimes I actually can't keep my mind on work - only on wanting a cigarette.
I am taking Zyban, which is an antidepressant, but not the kind that "zones" you out or anything. You start taking Zyban
anywhere from 7-14 days before you actually stop smoking. By
the time your quit date comes around, cigarettes taste awful.
So that helps. But the habit is still there, so you want to try to change some habits (such as - if you have coffee in the morning and sit in a certain spot - move to a different spot - stuff like this).
I have quit about 4 times in the past. I do have to admit that the last time I tried to quit, I was also using Zyban. I was doing real
well until my father-in-law passed away and I had to write and
deliver his eulogy!
I've decided to try again. Right now, ciggies taste awful - yet I mentally think that having one will calm my nervousness.
Keep a positive attitude. Make a list of reasons why you shouldn't smoke & keep that handy to help you through any cravings & urges. I know that I hate the way my clothes & breath smell like smoke, it yellows my teeth, and is very bad for my health.
However, I keep smoking because I enjoy it. Tomorrow I am going to try to keep myself busy and stay away from the "habits" that I have now.
For you whom are now non-smokers - GREAT FOR YOU !!
Hang in there - you're doing wonderful things for yourself.
I sure hope to join you in saying that I'm a non-smoker.
Take care,
Dawn
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:53 PM
You go girls

You can do it.

I'm here you on. I QUIT smoking 2/14/89/ The best thing I ever did for myself and family. I had smoked for 22 years prior to that with smoking 2 1/2 pack on 2/13/89/ I have never picked up another one. I quit cold turkey.. It was rough and I'm the first to admit that it was one of the hardest habits to change.

Best wishes to each and every one of you in becoming healthier.
Unread 01-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Ex smokers

Hi everbody,

I quit the day of my surgery. Cold turkey. I'm doing good, my friend at work thinks I'll start back as soon as I go back to work.
It will be very hard when I go back to work, but I also have to change other things at work to reduce stress. Good Luck to everybody.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher I am very proud of you. Keep up the good work. Don't listen to the people at work. You know the devil is always busy. Think positive thoughts. Chew gum suck on some candy,that has helped me too. My husband still smokes but I fight the urge to smoke everyday I Live with the temptation. The deep breathing tapes I use has really helped me. In my last rely I forgot to mention that I had a partial hysterectomy in 1983 and had to go right back in 1994 and have a complete. Plus in 1973 when I had my daughter I had to had a c-section so I have been cut in the same place three times. I had started smoking cigarettes in 1980. I stopped smoking cold turkey in 1994 for a whole year then started back like a fool. So now I have made up m mind to go forever because I tired of inhaling smoke and feeling tired all the time. I Exercise do my deep breathing,walk, and eat right. So Dream Catcher when people say you are..You think positive and say I'm not. I have also bought so many patches that didn't work for me. I just wasted money. I know it has helped others but not me. You still have nicotine in your system... So you keep at it each day will get better and better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register