Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications

Unread 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications

I'm back from the hopistal with having my surgery performed. I made it all the way back to the OR. When I was awakened I was told they could not perform the surgery becuase they could not get the breathing tube down my treachea. Three different anesthesiologist tried to insert the breathing tube. But at some point my treachea became swollen and my airway was obstrcted.

All I could do was cry when I came too. I really just wanted this to be all over. My period will start again this weekend and I mentally was not prepared for to deal with it.

My dr was great. She was very patient and understanding. She explained to my mother and daughter that it just would not have been safe to try to proceed with another form of anesthesia. My family and I did talk briefly with my doctor about my options. She said when we reschedule they can try to insert a small fiber optic breathing tube with a camera that would allow the anesthesiologist to see when trying to insert the tube. This would allow me to be able to still have the TLH. The other option is to do twilight sedation and an epideural. In that case I would have a TAH.

I just want it over!!!!! I am going to call the dr's office on Monday to get on her calendar for the very next opening. In the meantime, I just have to keep believeing that everything happens for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Re: Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. You must be just devastated. Have you had surgery before?
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Just putting my 2 cents in, I'd go for the epi/twilight sleep combo. The epi will give you superior pain control that works up to 12 hours even post surgery. I had 2 c-sections that way and one without an epi and was put fully under and I woke up in so much pain. Also, with them having trouble with the breathing tube, a twilight sleep would be so much safer. I've had 3 procedures with a twilight sleep and it gets 2 thumbs up from me. No post surgery soar throat, wake up feeling more refreshed than groggy, and much less nausea.

I wish you luck with your next surgery date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Oh my goodness--I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can't even imagine how devastated I'd be.

I hope you get another date very soon and all goes perfectly.

Unread 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM

so sorry you are going through this. You will be in my prayer.
Unread 03-30-2012, 07:27 PM

So sorry this happened to you. This happened to me years ago when I was scheduled to do my ablation and tubal. They put my iv in then the doctor came and told me the equipment was "broken" I remember being so dejected but they squeezed me in just a week later and really tried hard to make me "happy" I agree that the twilight may a good option, just make sure you check with your insurance sometimes they don't cover the post surgery pain control according to my admitting docs.
Keep your chin up!
Unread 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the support. I feel a little better now then I did a few hours ago. I have had 3 previous surgeries (ruputured appendix, bunion removed and abdominal adhesions removed). I suppose today just wasn't my day.

I do think when I talk to my dr on Monday I want to proceed with the TAH with an epidural and twilight anesthesia. I just want her to do whatever she can to get the job done safely.

Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long. In the meantime, I will just focus on researching TAH recovery and keep preparing.

Thanks again for everyone's prayers and support.
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about this... but I'm glad the precaution was taken to stop the procedure when they couldn't get the tube inserted.

Hoping you get rescheduled soon and things continue as they should.

Unread 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you! I would not have even thought about that - to wake up and it wasn't done. I can only imagine what that must have felt like. Hugs.
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:58 AM

Oh, that must have been so distressing! Your safety is the most important thing so it is better that they stopped. I hope you are able to proceed successfully soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register