Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications

Unread 03-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Re: Surgery Cancelled Due to Complications

That is so horrible! it sounds though that is was the safest course of action though...don't want to mess with breathing! I hope they come up with another option for you. Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW View Post
Thanks everyone for the support. I feel a little better now then I did a few hours ago. I have had 3 previous surgeries (ruputured appendix, bunion removed and abdominal adhesions removed). I suppose today just wasn't my day.

I do think when I talk to my dr on Monday I want to proceed with the TAH with an epidural and twilight anesthesia. I just want her to do whatever she can to get the job done safely.

Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long. In the meantime, I will just focus on researching TAH recovery and keep preparing.

Thanks again for everyone's prayers and support.
Everything does happen for a reason. You have a great attitude. Research the TAH. Whatever is safest. I had tah cause uterus/fibroids were huge! I've had no problems just a slow healer. I'm just glad you have options. Be blessed.
Unread 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM

So sorry to hear this But they have your safety in mind and that's a wonderful thing! They had trouble getting my breathing tube in as well, and while they finally managed to get it inserted, I woke up with my gums torn up and my lower lip swollen like I had been socked in the mouth! I bit through my lower lip and it wasn't noticed until after surgery and the tube was removed. Blah. And my throat has an actual scratch in it - not a big deal, until you cough with an abdominal incision - grrrr...

So...I am saying that while it blows, maybe your situation is for the best in the long run. But oh! How I feel for you! (((HUGS))) Let us know how Monday goes. Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM

I talked to the dr today and got a new date. I'm scheduled for Friday, April 20th. They have me scheduled for the first surgery of the day (lol). The new plan is to give me an epidural. They still want try general anesthesia. However, they are going to try ONCE using a FiberOptic breathing tube with a camera. This is supposed to make my airway visable.

My dr really wants to still go with the TLH. She said they will do the TAH if they are unsuccessful with the FiberOptic breathing tube. She did say that one way or another I would have the surgery.

I want to thank you all for your support and your prayers. This experience has truly reminded me that there is perfect timing for everything.

Take care,
Robin
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm so sorry that this happened - but you are right - everything happens for a reason! I hope your period is not horrible this weekend.....
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. I wouldn't be able to stop crying. hopefully they can get you rescheduled soon. if you end up having to have a total abdominal hysterectomy, you wont be alone. i am having an abdominal the 10th. i stay in the hospital for 3 1/2 days and then bed rest for a while, long recovery. hopefully they can still do yours the easy way but if not, at least you still wont have those pains anymore! big hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW View Post
I'm back from the hopistal with having my surgery performed. I made it all the way back to the OR. When I was awakened I was told they could not perform the surgery becuase they could not get the breathing tube down my treachea. Three different anesthesiologist tried to insert the breathing tube. But at some point my treachea became swollen and my airway was obstrcted.

All I could do was cry when I came too. I really just wanted this to be all over. My period will start again this weekend and I mentally was not prepared for to deal with it.

My dr was great. She was very patient and understanding. She explained to my mother and daughter that it just would not have been safe to try to proceed with another form of anesthesia. My family and I did talk briefly with my doctor about my options. She said when we reschedule they can try to insert a small fiber optic breathing tube with a camera that would allow the anesthesiologist to see when trying to insert the tube. This would allow me to be able to still have the TLH. The other option is to do twilight sedation and an epideural. In that case I would have a TAH.

I just want it over!!!!! I am going to call the dr's office on Monday to get on her calendar for the very next opening. In the meantime, I just have to keep believeing that everything happens for a reason.
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Robin, I am glad they got you back in! I hope all goes well, and they have a plan of action in place now!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register