Lots of questions - belly binder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of questions - belly binder Lots of questions - belly binder

Unread 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Lots of questions - belly binder

My doctor hasn't determined if ovaries will need to be removed.
Basically she is waiting to see what she finds. If she can leave them she will. It all depends on what she will find.
The sonogram shows numerous fibroid tumors, 2 are really huge. The symptoms I'm having is causing her to think more is going on that is why we are having this so quickly. I saw her
2 1/2 weeks ago & she told me we need to get this done ASAP. I trust her as she has been my Gyn for several years and is close to my Primary Care Dr. as well.
Judging from all that I'm reading on this site is there anyone who used the Abdominal binder that holds your tummy in place that could tell me about it. Pro's and Con's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Re: Lots of questions

Hi coppell

I managed without the belly binder myself, but some women swear by them. Hopefully, those women who have used this will see this post and respond. I tweaked the title a bit to get their attention.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Re: Lots of questions - belly binder

Loved mine. Had 2 c-sections surgeries without it so I was able to compare. I notice you'll be having abdominal also. I put mine on soon after surgery so I could sleep on my side easier. The binder helps hold everything in place so it doesn't feel like everything inside is being pulled by gravity when you lay on your side. Most people at least use pillows to counteract the gravity pull.

TAH probably gets the most benefit from the tummy binder because of our incision. After surgery, you will be wanting to hold your incision/belly whenever you walk so it doesn't jiggle or move. It's so nice to have the binder do it.

In my case, I got the plain one - I wanted to be able to wear it under clothes with minimum bulkiness. Others love the one with hot and cold pack pockets. From my past surgeries, I never needed hot or cold on my tummy.

I wore mine for sleeping, for those early bowel movements (to help keep from straining or getting a hernia or popping a stitch), and I pulled it extra tight when coughing. It's great for car rides (all that jiggling), and up till recently, as just a little bit of support at the end of a long day. I love it. I should probably buy stock in the company--I'm always telling people how much it helped me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM

I didn't buy the binder and I'm kinda glad because my tummy was so very sore and sensitive to touch post op. I never would have been able to wear it. I couldn't even have a waistband (no matter how loose) around my waist for almost 2 months. I lived in my nightie and sundresses. We're all very different, you will find
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM

I had a TAH four days ago and my doctor ordered one for me in the hospital. I have rarely worn it so far. I don't like things touching my belly to tightly especially while laying down. I would say I will probably use it the more active I get. I'm sure everyone is different and you will have your own preference. Best Wishes! You will do great!
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM

If you look below on this page to similar threads, notice the one
"Belly binder or not? started by PinkNrG." It has 17 responses --both why people like them and why they don't. That might help you decide.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:38 PM

I want to Thank all of you who replied to my very 1st post. I'm starting to get nervous about the after math of my TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy). I'm really not nervous about the operation as I'm looking forward to all this pain going away. It's the not knowing how I will feel afterwards that has me wondering. All in all though, everyone here is so helpful and supportive. It's as though we have known each other for a long time. Thank you everyone.
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:05 PM

You're one of us now!

Unread 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM

You are welcome. I had pain but they managed it with a pain pump for 24 hours and then switched to motrin and percocet. They also had me on bedrest for 24 hours and then had me start walking slowly. I had my catheter for 24 hours and they removed it...you have up to 6 hrs to urinate so don't worry about that you'll be fine. I would say the worst for me was the day of surgery until they got the dosage of my pain pump figured out. After that yes there was pain but it was tolerable with meds. Hugs Girl! You will do great!
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM

We are are in the same boat and speak the same language. I really think that only women who have been through this, or are currently going through this, can understand.

For post-op, you do not know how you are going to react - physically, emotionally and mentally - until you are there. But one thing you can be sure of is that we will be here to help you, to support you, and to see you through this - no matter how you feel and how you react.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register