So tubes out=lower risk for ovarian cancer?...take em doc! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So tubes out=lower risk for ovarian cancer?...take em doc! So tubes out=lower risk for ovarian cancer?...take em doc!

Unread 03-31-2012, 08:46 AM
So tubes out=lower risk for ovarian cancer?...take em doc!

I'm currently scheduled for TLH. I discused with the dr. to remove uterus and cervix, leaving the ovaries. He didnt mention the fallopian tubes, neither did I, I forgot about them!

Anyway, i've done some research and i've learned that the fallopian tubes are the origin for some types of ovarian cancer. Hence removing them lowers the Ovca risks.

Was this offered to anyone?

I'm gonna email my doc about it. Apparently the process of removing the tubes doesnt take very long and there is minimal risk associated. Sounds like a win!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Re: So tubes out=lower risk for ovarian cancer?...take em doc!

My gynecologist-oncologist offered to remove my tubes (I had DaVinci less than a week ago and kept my ovaries). He said the same thing you found, that some types of ovarian cancer begin in the tubes. He said he generally recommends that the tubes be removed, but that it was my decision. I said heck yes, take 'em out! I really wanted to keep my ovaries (and they're healthy, luckily) but I didn't care what else he took.
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacey1975 View Post
My gynecologist-oncologist offered to remove my tubes (I had DaVinci less than a week ago and kept my ovaries). He said the same thing you found, that some types of ovarian cancer begin in the tubes. He said he generally recommends that the tubes be removed, but that it was my decision. I said heck yes, take 'em out! I really wanted to keep my ovaries (and they're healthy, luckily) but I didn't care what else he took.
My view exactly!

My surgeon isn't a gyn/onc, im thinking that may be why it wasnt offered? My appt also happened quickly and didnt go as planned so maybe he wasnt prepared. Anyway, it seems that the gyn/onco docs are the ones that are really advocating for it!

And my surgery is laproscopic so it seems to be possible.

So no complications then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM

I'm only 4 days post op, but nope, no complications. It's all been really smooth so far (knock on wood!). I get tired easy, but that's par for the course, I think. I don't miss my fallopian tubes at all, I would have never known they were gone if my doctor hadn't mentioned it.
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacey1975 View Post
I'm only 4 days post op, but nope, no complications. It's all been really smooth so far (knock on wood!). I get tired easy, but that's par for the course, I think. I don't miss my fallopian tubes at all, I would have never known they were gone if my doctor hadn't mentioned it.
Well congrats to a Princess are due!

Fatigue is great, get all the rest you can, im sure you are though.

I feel the same way! I dont THINK I feel my tubes o__O.....im pretty sure! They'll serve no purpose anyway...take em!!
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM

Well, here is something to think about. Just what all organs do you want removed to lower your risk of a possible cancer? Why remove the fallopian tubes specifically and not your ovaries, kidneys, thyroid, lungs, breasts, and/or brain? Yes, that sounds kind of silly, but women with an endometriosis diagnosis like yours may have a higher risk of cancers affecting all those body parts (and more actually). We really can't start removing body parts simply to lower the risk of a possible cancer unless we have a specific cancer risk to consider, or we might have to remove vital organs which could defeat the purpose!

It is okay to ask about the fallopian tubes and even get a second opinion about them. I encourage you to ask especially since it is on your mind. But don't panic if your doctor thinks they don't need removed or your insurance company won't cover the salpingectomy.

s
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post

Well, here is something to think about. Just what all organs do you want removed to lower your risk of a possible cancer? Why remove the fallopian tubes specifically and not your ovaries, kidneys, thyroid, lungs, breasts, and/or brain? Yes, that sounds kind of silly, but women with an endometriosis diagnosis like yours may have a higher risk of cancers affecting all those body parts (and more actually). We really can't start removing body parts simply to lower the risk of a possible cancer unless we have a specific cancer risk to consider, or we might have to remove vital organs which could defeat the purpose!

It is okay to ask about the fallopian tubes and even get a second opinion about them. I encourage you to ask especially since it is on your mind. But don't panic if your doctor thinks they don't need removed or your insurance company won't cover the salpingectomy.

s
Good point here. I never looked at it from that point of view. I was offered the salpingectomy just to lower the risk. I have no family history of cancer. I have never had any problems with my ovaries. I told my doctor no because I didn't want to mess with my healthy ovaries any more than is necessary. I already knew there was a risk of them not working as well after the uterus is removed. I didn't want to up that risk with removal of something else. The research is too new and there is too much lack of research to show what effect removal of the tubes has on the ovaries, at least from what I dug up. So I opted to leave them there.
Good luck with whatever you and your doctor decide is best.
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM

I kept my ovaries. My GYN did not mention taking my tubes but when he visited me post op he told me about this lowering the chance of ovarian cancer. He took one of my tubes but could reach the other one (I had a TVH) so he left one of them in.
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:14 PM

I hadn't gone into surgery looking for organs to remove, but when my gyn/onc suggested removing the tubes and explained his opinions about removing them, I felt comfortable with it and gave my okay. On the other hand, being in my late 30s and pre-menopausal, I felt very strongly about keeping my ovaries, and I discussed that with my gyn/onc as well. I didn't mean to make light of it--obviously it's something to discuss with your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register