Surgery 1/16/02 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 1/16/02 Surgery 1/16/02

Unread 01-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Surgery 1/16/02

Just joined the "group"....seems that this "young" girl of 53 has been told she has 3-4 tumors, one that doesn't look so good and a 355 cm uterus (3 1/2-4 month old baby size I guess)....I thought it was menopause when the crazy periods and hot flashes were occurring so I was just dealing with it...but alas, a routine check up and vaginal ultrasound shows different....they could be doing one of three things on the 16th....the hyster?scopy with possible D&C depending on how things look and then go from there...the dr has recommended full hysterectomy from the preliminary reports (pap smear was okay) back when I was in my twenties I had a D&C because of Type I cells coming back but other than that I have been pretty normal (female wise) Any insight will certainly help this "young" girl.....will I need much help after surgery? Thanks for any input...of course I am nervous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 05:33 AM
Surgery 1/16/02

Hi there !!

First of all, I would like to welcome you to Hystersisters! You will find so much help and support here !

I had a D&C just a couple of months prior to my TAH/Burch. So, I knew going into it that I was having a TAH. I would say that it would be very hard to plan post-op for you since you do not know what you are going to have done.

With my D&C I was back to work the next day (desk job) felt fine. With my hyster I did not return to work till 4 weeks and that was part time and boy, was I one tired sister !!!

Anyways, I think you need to plan for the longest recovery possible which would be the hyster.

Keep reading and posting and it will help alot !!
Unread 01-09-2002, 06:51 AM
Surgery 1/16/02

Hi young girl and welcome to hystersisters!

Five years ago, I had a laproscopic procedure to remove adhesions, a D&C, hysteroscopy, and tubal all at the same time. It was done outpatient and I recovered pretty quickly. A D&C - "dusting & cleaning", lol - is where the dr dilates the cervix so he/she can go in and scrape the lining of the uterus. A hysteroscopy is when the dr uses a hysteroscope to take a look around the inside of the uterus. I'm guessing he wants to do this to get a closer look at the cysts and to maybe see if the D&C will help with those periods. If you do have to have a hysterectomy, just concentrate on the good thing about no more crazy periods. You might still be in the beginning stage of menopause, hence the hot flashes or could just be the ovaries acting up.

It's normal to be nervous. And one of the biggest fears is of the unknown. Keep us posted on what your results are & what you & your dr decide about the hyst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 07:23 AM
Surgery 1/16/02

Hi! I'm glad you found us. This is a wonderful site! This "young" 50 y/o had her TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) in August. I can only relate my own experience. I did need some help the first week...mostly with meals, daily household chores, etc. It's a good idea because there is still some anesthesia in the system. I found myself to be quite disoriented the first week. By the second week I was pretty much by myself and did fine. You just have to remember to follow your doctor's instructions to a T and you will do just fine.

I totally understand your nervousness about the surgery. All kinds of imaginations can run through our minds while we are waiting. More than once I told my husband there was just no way I could go through with it. But, I did and I'm glad I did.

Hope you don't mind my asking...are the tumors they found fibroids? I had 3 fibroids and a polyp. The polyp was removed during a hysteroscopy and D&C several weeks before my surgery at which time a biopsy was done on the lining of my uterus...precancerous cells = hysterectomy.

Well, my very best wishes to you. Keep us posted on how you are doing and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm including the URLs for some areas in this site that may be of interest to you.

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...1&daysprune=30

s

Sherry
Unread 01-09-2002, 07:46 AM
Surgery 1/16/02

We are having surgery the same day. I am having a LAVH. Possilbe TAH. Depends on what the dr. Thinks after she gets in there. It is very hard to wait. AFter reading many of these posts, it almost seems the waiting is the worst part. After the surgery is done the worst part of it is over.

At least you are not alone in having your surgery. There are several of us that will be going on the same day as you. Have you checked the surgery calendar?

Sparkler. email me anytime you need to vent. :email:

Unread 01-09-2002, 11:15 AM
same day

hey! i am sceduled for my surgery the same day too, although due to a chest cold, we may have to reschedule (xing fingers)
i am having a tah and ovaries (everythings coming out) and a bladder tack. i was never in severe pain, or i just got used to the pain, but had a pap after not having one for 7 yrs and this is my only option now.
huge hugs to everyone!!
Unread 01-09-2002, 09:54 PM
NERVOUS TO SAY THE LEAST

First of all thanks to everyone who responded...this site is great...I am so glad I found it. I have blood work in the a.m. and pre op on 1/14 and the big day 1/16.....I have a feeling they will be doing the complete "H".....the nurse told me today that they have me in the hospital for 3-5 days...compliments of the insurance company...is that standard? Someone had asked me if they were fibroid or polyps that the dr. found he said I had fibroid cysts but referred to 3 "tumors" one suspicious looking...and the "HUGE" uterus (I'm huge so I wasn't suprised until he said about 14-17 week gestation size) Yikes....no wonder my pants have been tight...and I thought it was just my oversized body....anyway, my boyfriend was told today they may send him away for 4 weeks....I asked him if he volunteered...now I am really getting nervous as to will I need help getting to the bathroom etc., at home, I swear I am so tense I could scream....have so many things I want to try to get done and so little time before I'll be laid up...oh well, guess that is the way things go...my daughter of 31 just moved to Florida to buy a house and live in this area and she ended up in the hospital not even two weeks after her arrival with a major "unknown infection" she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis so she is on outpatient iv therapy for 6 weeks (2 more to go) and now this...my family is all out west...even if my mother were able to fly here next week...she is 79 and only 5'2" so it would be hard for her to "physically" help her 5'8" over 200 lb daughter. I just hope this goes smooth. I get more nervous as the days go buy..I hated today...it is less than a week now!! thanks again for all insight and support...
Unread 01-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Help

I don't know about florida but up here in Alasaka, in the small town I live in they have a health service that can come to cook meals and and help you with most of your medical stuff. They are run on grant money so if you do not have incvome to pay they will come anyway. You could most likely contact your hospital and or local social service department and see if that service could be available to you....It is stressful to think you might be alone.. I always have a back up plan just in case and I did this research locally...also if you belong to a church sometimes they will also have volunteers to help... do some research quick !
I hope everything will be o.k. for you and if so write back. That would be a good post for this web site to have (a list of agencies available to provide such services for future refrences)
Take care
yukondiva
Unread 01-11-2002, 09:58 PM
thanks everyone

I appreciate your advice on the agency...as the time nears I am wondering....my mom has a trip planned for Alaska (I told her it would be warmer in Florida) At any rate...she is on standby...if I need her. My daughter is here, but she just got out of the hospital herself and isn't really in shape to be helping....but I'll check the services out when I get to the hospital Monday for preop....thanks again
Unread 01-13-2002, 01:09 AM
good luck

good luck on monday, get lot's of rest after and write when you get out....i am sure everything will be o.k.
i am nervous too now they have found yet another problem and may have to rescheduel to bring in a speacilist...
The last two days I have made cinamon rolls and breads to freeze for when I get home ( surgery is still 2 weeks away) and I rearranged my bedroom so I can access my laptop in bed get a better view out the window etc... I feel very blessed to have my ex husband care for me after the surgery (that ought to be a trip) but he is the only person who can do it, and he actually wants too.....go figure.
I will keep you in my hope you have a easy and fast recovery....
yukon diva

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register