Wednesday surgery:) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wednesday surgery:) Wednesday surgery:)

Unread 04-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Wednesday surgery:)

So most of my pre-planning before my surgery has taken place. I am going after I get off work at midnight tonight to get groceries. (Husband said..."Why can't I go get groceries?") I said...because there is stuff I want and need to get to make crockpot meals and want to be sure I get the right stuff!I do have a question....I have suffered bad pain for about 30 years,,,period pains/back pains, a old neck injury pain, migraines, and now Rheumatoid arthritis. I am not on any pain killers for any of this stuff I have, not even migraine meds. I just suffer thru it. BUT...during this hysteo recovery...I believe I WANT pain meds to get me thru it. What kind of pain meds has anyone been offered? I wanted to post this in post-op...but it wouldn't let me. I know Lortabs/Vicodin does nothing for me. Morphine I have tried and it did work. Wonder if docs prescribe that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Re: Wednesday surgery:)

Best Wishes!! I just had mine this last Wednesday and had a TAH. I had a morphine pca pump until the day after surgery then they gave me percocet and motrin which is working well. You will have a chance immediately before surgery the day of to ask your doctor questions. I would just make sure you tell them what has and has not worked for you in the past. Good luck! You will do great!
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM

I already have my pain meds, surgery tomorrow morning. The Dr called them in, and gave me 10 xanax 5mg to help with the anxiety, so glad I have them, as I would be suffering a lot more. There really isn't any reason to suffer more than you have too. My only worry really is the bladder sling they are doing, I hope it works out for me.
Good luck to you, I really believe we will all be alright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM

I had a narcotic-type pump for the first 24 hours, then I was was given oral narcotics and 600 mg Mortrin in the hospital (I was in for 3 1/2 days). After that I was on 600 mg Motrin, but also had a prescription for narcotics if needed (I did not).

Also, ask your doctor about your meds for your migraines. I was allowed to take my migraine meds - which was a big relief if I needed it. It turns out I did not, but I understand how horrible those headaches are.

Good luck with your surgery - we will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM

Tealbait..My surgery is Wednesday also. I asked my DH this morning if he had any last minute requests because I'm making my last trip to the store for a month. He laughed and said " he could grocery shop" lol I didn't want to insult him, but if I left the shopping and planning up to him I'd starve. ( Had a lap 6 weeks ago, so got a trial run on his meal preparation and lack of shopping skills lol) Good luck with the last minute preparations and I'll see you on the other side in a few days!
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM

I cannt wait till weds!!! I'm like a little kid excited about something lol. The thought of never needing a tampon or pad is sooooo exciting! I have had heavy painfull periods since I started at 13. It's time to feel good now I did my grocery shopping last night, got me some snacks for the hospital stay after surgery. Now I was tidying up the house...but a phonecall from work told me I may have to pull a double tomorrow...NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!! Lol
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM

I've been cleaning like a mad woman! Just got back from my last trip to the grocery store. I swear we could survive months if we needed to!! I have found keeping busy helps pass the time and makes me feel like I'm not ready yet because I still have things to do . ( which none of them really need done). Makes me less anxious for it to hurry up and get here. Bowel prep tomorrow morning, not looking forward to that.
Tealbait...Pulling a double shift the night before surgery sounds horrible. Do you have to go in?
Unread 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM

No...just found out that I could switch shifts...so i work first tomorrow instead of second. Which is awesome because i have to do the bowel prep and couldnt have done it if i worked second. ( since i have to be at the hospital at 6 a.m ).
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM

I am 13 days post-op. I was given morphine while in the hospital...almost as much as I wanted. I was given Percocet when discharged and took it for about 3 days but it made me super nauseous even when taken with food, so I gave it up and just took Tylenol (I am allergic to aspirin so no Motrin for me). It has been fine with just tylenol...only needed to take Percocet once in last week when I really overdid it. Good luck with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register