Did anyone else recover in an RV? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone else recover in an RV? Did anyone else recover in an RV?

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Did anyone else recover in an RV?

My husband and I decided to become full time RVers before we learned of this pending surgery. I'm having a TAH/BSO and an A&P.

The RV is all about steps - steps to get in and out, steps up to bed, etc. Also, there is not enough room inside for walking around. The shower is tiny and hard to get to, there are many challenges here, and I'm not sure what to do about it. We've been considering an appartment, but we don't have time or money to furnish an apartment between now and the surgery.

Any hints or tips on how to deal with the limited space and the plethora of steps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Re: Did anyone else recover in an RV?

Have you thought about an extended stay hotel until you feel strong enough to walk up steps?
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Ugh, I am not sure. I have been in an RV but never travelled or lived in one. I know after my sugery and drive home (in the country not pleasant) I did walk up our deck steps unassisted. but our home is a ranch house. I think the hardest part will be the first few days. That is the hardest for moving about; for me it was anyway. After the first few days at home I was moving about, just slowly. Up and and down steps to get to a bathroom might be a bit harder. You could maybe talk to your doctor about it, he/she will know what kind of mobility issues you will have with the type of surgery you have.

Best of luck to you
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM

I'm going to discuss it on my next appointment.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marie View Post
Have you thought about an extended stay hotel until you feel strong enough to walk up steps?
we are on a fixed income, and couldn't come close to affording that
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Everyone I know doesn't have the room for me to stay with them even for the first week. I have examined my options and the RV is the only option I have, short of checking into a homeless shelter.

Hubby and I have come to realize this is nothing like we expected, and are beginning the process of finding senior housing, but we don't have the finances to buy a proper bed right now...
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Best wishes to you! I think once you get in, you might be okay if those are the only steps you deal with for the first few days at least. The shower should not be a problem being so little - you won't want to bend down or move around too much anyway.
Is there another bed in there (converted) you could sleep in? If you're way up in a bunk I think that could be the biggest problem.
As far as walking room, as long as you're up and about a little that should be okay, I'd think - you don't have to go long distances, it is just important that you get up/move and don't stay in bed full time.
Hopefully your doctor has some advice and helpful answers for you when you talk to him/her.
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:21 PM

I just thought of a great benefit. When you go for your check ups post op, you can lay in bed til you get there..... Awesome. Same thing when you leave the hospital, you can lay down right away. I believe in looking at the upside of everything.
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused66 View Post
I just thought of a great benefit. When you go for your check ups post op, you can lay in bed til you get there..... Awesome. Same thing when you leave the hospital, you can lay down right away. I believe in looking at the upside of everything.

LOL That would be great if it was going to be that way, but we are hooked up and wedged into our site.

And the only other "bed" is the only seating (dinette) in the house, so really didn't want to take that away from hubby.

On the bright side - there is a big window level to the bed that overlooks the lake. I will have a beautiful view as I recover. Seating is very limited, so I have fixed up the bed where I can sit with my feet on the floor, or with my back against the headboard. I took a picture of the view, but I don't see how to upload it
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:33 PM

I think you'll be able to handle everything (I had a TAH) from my personal experience, except crawling up to a bunk bed. Your shower, RV steps should be fine. However, if you have like comfy recliner, like a lazy boy, that might be a good option around climbing up to a bunk. I slept straight up against a recliner pillow my first 5 weeks after my surgery. A lot of women do this I found out on post op forum. Many sleep in a recliner chair. It makes it much easier to get up, takes pressure off the abdomen and helps with your breathing if your throat gets a bit irritated from the breathing tube like mine did. I never dreamed I could sleep reclining but slept like a baby for 5 weeks. So if you don't have a recliner, I highly recommend it. Even on a fixed income, you can get one used for around 60 dollars from craigslist or get it donated for a trade with someone later on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register