Scheduled TAH New Here, Unsure What to Expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here, Unsure What to Expect New Here, Unsure What to Expect

Unread 04-01-2012, 11:41 PM
New Here, Unsure What to Expect

Hi All,

Well, it looks like I'll finally be getting my long awaited hysterectomy. I have all kinds of issues that make me look forward to being rid of the offending organs. The doc says I have to have a TAH. I didn't know there were less invasive kinds, like the SILS or LSH. When I see her for pre-op in two weeks I'm going to ask her about it.
Waaaay back in 1998 I had emergency surgery that turned into a hip to hip cut and an unplanned Oopherectomy. I've since had two more less invasive surgeries for related issues.
When I first got the doc on board with my desire to have this procedure, I figured..."I've been through this before, it'll be no big deal, and I'll be happy when it's over and I can live a normal life".
I've since realized I'm a good deal older now and the body will heal more slowly.
So, anyone out there wanna tell me what I'm really in for?
I was pretty optimistic about it all until I found this website and started reading about all the negative things and problems.
Thanks for reading my lengthy ramblings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Re: New Here, Unsure What to Expect

alightinthenite,

I had TAH with removal of L ovary and tube on March 22. So far, it hasn't been negative for me. A few bumps, sure, but it's a big deal, this surgery, and you have to expect that not everybody is the same as it pertains to recovery.

I had mine after one miscarriage, 3 ectopic pregnancies, heavy bleeding, anemia, a failed endometrial ablation (Novasure), fibroids, and ovarian cysts. Once they got inside and looked around, I had adhesions that were encasing my L ovary and constricting my bowels. So, it was decided then, on the operating table, to remove my L ovary and tube.

So far, I am 10 days post-op and I am plugging along. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 5 days, but I woke up in recovery in far less pain than I went into surgery with, so I was pretty motivated to walk and pee on my own, and I did so and was released in 1 day. That was huge! My incision hurts still, but if you've had abdominal surgery already, then you know all about that, so I will spare you that experience. Ha!

What else? I do have hot flashes of sorts - I think my R ovary is still trying to get restarted. And I am sore all over my tummy/pelvis. But again, these are expected issues. Mostly, I am just tired. A LOT.

So, my recovery is pretty uneventful. I have 5 more weeks to go before I return to work, and if the next 5 weeks go as well as this first 10 days, I'll be more than ready to go back AND I will no longer be in the pain I was in with all the pressure and bleeding! Yay!

Thing is, post-op pain is bearable. It's tolerable because I know I am healing and there's an end in sight. Before the surgery, my pain was much worse plus I flooded without warning and the stabbing pain on my L side was so bad at times that I was vomitting and dizzy. After surgery, none of that has happened. Not even close. Long-term I hope my R ovary recovers and life as usual goes on until menopause. So far, it's looking that way Even my libido seems unaffected - I wish I was ready for sex, because I definitely am interested...it's funny and it's frustrating. I had no libido before surgery - too much pain and bleeding to even consider sex. The thought was gross and, I knew, would result in pain. I look forward to sex again and it's been quite a while since I've been able to say that!

Remember that most posts are looking for support due to issues, but for every post about an issue, there are many more sisters that have gone on to have wonderful recoveries and experiences and just don't need the support of the community. We are lucky to have a few wonderful ladies who have stuck around to help out and guide us, many of which had a very positive outcome, and some who have struggled and can now share how they overcame those issues. Everything in life is what you make it, right? A few bumps do not equal a bad experience or result. And sometimes one bad day can overshadow what is really a good recovery overall - it's all about perspective. If you go into this thinking it will be good, odds are it will be.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to as you come up on your surgery date. Knowledge is power. Take care and I hope your surgery goes well! Peace.
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:38 AM

I had my DVH on 2/27 after having several smaller surgeries that weren't effective. I lived with pain and discomfort for years from fibroids, endometriosis, and ovarian cysts.

I was nervous and afraid to have a total hysterectomy and held off for years. Let me tell you, I am so glad I finally had it done! I have no more pain and that alone was worth it. The recovery was not too bad and I was off pain meds shortly after. Everyone has a different experience and healing time. I just know that mine is not as bad as I feared.

Yes I get tired easily and yes I have some hot flashes. My body tells me when I have done too much and I take naps when I need to. It has been manageable though and if it gets to be too much I always have the HRT or other options to help with it.

I hope this helps you to have a little less anxiety about what is to come. Good luck and God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Piper and Toads,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It helps to hear exactly what you are going through right now.
I'm not so afraid. I know I shouldn't be, seeing as how it'll be numero 4 for me. Isn't it the pits that they insist on all the little surgeries before you get what you really needed? I realize it's the process of trying to be the least invasive. But I think sometimes the docs should just listen to us ladies. We know our bodies.

I too believe that I have lesions wrapping around my intestines. Constipation is a continuous struggle for me and my doc tells me to increase my fiber. Ha! I get PLENTY of fiber!

I keep thinking that I already have most of the symptoms of menopause all the time. I'm quick to cry, quick to have a major mood swing, always puffy, mostly hot hot hot all the time, night sweats, and of course, always a bloody mess.

I do look so forward to being able to be intimate with my husband. I have a very high libido and always feel frustrated. My poor husband has a pretty low libido, so I could stand to drop down a few notches after the surgery if it happens! I think for him it has a whole lot to do with the fact that it looks like a murder scene anytime we are intimate, and more than anything, he can't stand the idea that he hurts me.

Tomorrow I go in for an ultrasound to see if there are fibroids or cysts. Hope they can do it while I'm bleeding!

I have a lot of emotions about this whole thing, but, really I"m kind of antsy to just get in there and get it over with. I want to start LiViNg again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register