What was I Thinking!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What was I Thinking!! What was I Thinking!!

Unread 04-02-2012, 12:50 AM
What was I Thinking!!

Hi ladies. I posted a few times about being almost 4 wks out and still having daily spotting. It ranges from TMI light tan to pinkish and eventually a darker brown. It's light and just spotty on a liner. Ok so here's what I did: googled vaginal cuff healing problems. Ugh I have read too much!! Prolapse of intestines thru a opened cuff area!!! Vag cuff tears fr sex. I am now in a full anxiety attack. I seriously dont think I will ever be mentally comfortable having sex. I'm so worried and I really had an awesome sex life. My ob nvr said anything about possible vaginal cuff issues. I was just rushed thru this dnd now I feel ruined I'm only 35 yrs old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Re: What was I Thinking!!

I have looked at some of those websites as well.. And it is very scary! Here's what I did to make myself feel better.. Look up the percentages of major complications. Your chances of having something like that happen to you are very very small..especially if you are following your doctors instructions . I'm not saying nothing bad can happen but the severe cases of intestines coming out... Well the numbers are in our favor! I had to stay off the Internet for awhile though because it is scary.. It was giving me nightmares! I am almost to my three week post op date and no problems yet!
Prayers for continued healing
Kp
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:02 AM

By the way... I have the exact typs/color. Of discharge that you are describing.. My dr said it may last for 4 to 6 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:08 AM

Not sure what type surgery you had...I had DvH and my dr was very clear with me and my husband that the biggest problem with this surgery was vag cuff dehissance...or breaking thru. 4% of surgery like this have problems. Heres the hitch...He told me No Sex 6 Months! That and no straining, no lifting. He said that most women have problems from sex too early and that clearance should not be before 3 months...but he is more comfortable with 6. If you had abdominal, totally different outcome as they stitch differently. I would call your dr and get info from him or her and go from there. As long as 6 months feels...the break thru scares me more! It will get back to normal, just give it time. Take care OX
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco462 View Post
Hi ladies. I posted a few times about being almost 4 wks out and still having daily spotting. It ranges from TMI light tan to pinkish and eventually a darker brown. It's light and just spotty on a liner. Ok so here's what I did: googled vaginal cuff healing problems. Ugh I have read too much!! Prolapse of intestines thru a opened cuff area!!! Vag cuff tears fr sex. I am now in a full anxiety attack. I seriously dont think I will ever be mentally comfortable having sex. I'm so worried and I really had an awesome sex life. My ob nvr said anything about possible vaginal cuff issues. I was just rushed thru this dnd now I feel ruined I'm only 35 yrs old.
I had a DVH on FEb. 1st. Your discharge sounds very similar to what I experienced and the doctor said it was normal.

And here is a friendly piece of advice - stop reading the horror stories! I work in healthcare and I get so many patient that get scared because of too much research online. These stories are the worse case scenario and have a low percentage rate of actually happening. People that have good experiences rarely post about them since they have no worries so of course you are only going to see the bad stuff.

That being said, DH and I were finally cleared for sex and gave it a try last night. We've always had a great sex life. Well, let me tell you it was WAY better than before. I was kind of nervous about it but we took our time and I was in complete control. You are not ruined. Stay positive and concentrate on healing. Constantly worrying and being anxious will only hinder your progress. Good luck!
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfchik View Post
Not sure what type surgery you had...I had DvH and my dr was very clear with me and my husband that the biggest problem with this surgery was vag cuff dehissance...or breaking thru. 4% of surgery like this have problems. Heres the hitch...He told me No Sex 6 Months! That and no straining, no lifting. He said that most women have problems from sex too early and that clearance should not be before 3 months...but he is more comfortable with 6. If you had abdominal, totally different outcome as they stitch differently. I would call your dr and get info from him or her and go from there. As long as 6 months feels...the break thru scares me more! It will get back to normal, just give it time. Take care OX
Wow! Really? I had DVH on Feb. 1st and have been cleared for everything as of yesterday. We even had sex for the first time last night. Which was fantastic by the way. After my surgery I had asked the doctor about the cuff opening and prolapse and she said I didn't need to worry about that with DVH to so I haven't. I had my last post-op last Monday and she told me the cuff is healed and asked me to just wait one more week and I was cleared.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM

I am not in a relationship right now but feel like I will never feel comfortable to meet someone and be sexual because the doctor didn't fix my prolapsed bladder or rectum so I can't imagine having sex, especially with someone new with all of that in my vagina
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM

I am also having discharge. I'm about 3 1/2 weeks out. Mine has been similar in color to what you describe except Friday through today it's been much heavier than before. I had to wear a regular pad. It doesn't soak through or anything, just too much for a liner. I wish it would just go away. I had constant bleeding for 6 months prior to surgery and I'm tired of it!
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:12 AM

I haven't had any bleeding since the day of the surgery, but my doctor said it could go on for about a month.
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:33 PM

I had the Davinci, and my OB never said anything about a vaginal cuff, infact the first time I heard that word was here. I called them last week about the spotting and I asked the nurse, "do I have a cervix still?" and she chuckled and said nope Hun, the dr always removes the cervix during a davinci hyster and you now have a vaginal cuff and thats what the spotting is from. So I was not informed. Either way i would have had to have this procedure done. My ob definetly delivers more babies than does surgery and I honestly think it was exciting for him to do it. All he said to me was "you will do fine" "sex will be the same" "no sex or lifting for six wks"

My post op check is apirl 17th, there is no way I am having intercourse for months. Im just not willing to risk it. This surgery has been a doosy on my family and I cant see myself getting a repair and that recovery time again, and YES i need to stay off the forums and websites!!! However, with out googling I wouldnt have known the potential for a prolaspe or cuff tear..

Thank you all for the support and reality check (:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register