Questions about Da Vinci... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about Da Vinci... Questions about Da Vinci...

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Questions about Da Vinci...

Hi Sisters ! I'm scheduled for DvH on May 17th and I have been reading about this procedure alot. I have found lots of info, some of it makes me nervous, but I have never read anything that tells me how the uterus ( mine is large with thick lining, adenomyosis), cervix, ovaries and tubes are brought out of the body during the Da Vinci procedure. Anybody out there know ? It sounds like a silly question but I want to know everything that is about to happen to me. Also, has anyone had problems with the vaginal cuff after having this type of hysterectomy? I'm wondering if I should just ask my doctor for the abdominal surgery instead but I hear it has its own set of complications as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Re: Questions about Da Vinci...

I am scheduled for Da Vinci April 4. Adenomyosis, fibroids and endometriosis. I asked my Dr. that same question about how they get it all out. She said there are different ways.With me, she is going in through the Da Vinci incisions and cutting and repairing all my inside parts, but she pulls the uterus out through my vagina. ( sort of like delivering a baby) Some DR.s cut the uterus up in pieces and pull them out through the Da Vinci incisions, but she doesn't like that way because she said a small piece could be left behind by accident and cause complications later, especially if cancer is suspected. From what I understand if your uterus is too large to pull through the vagina they have to do a full abdominal incision if they aren't cutting it into little pieces. Your vaginal cuff will be the same regardless of the surgery type, so having and abdominal instead of a Da Vinci won't matter on that. Keep researching, you have time. I am so happy I was offered DaVinci instead of the other options. I was a bit scared of the " robot" at first, but did some research and am actually quite confident that it will be fine. Some women can't have Da VInci because their surgeon isn't trained on it. If your lucky enough to have a Dr. you trust that is DaVinci trained, I say go for it. The more you read the more you'll learn. Be careful of the horror stories posted on here. Some will scare you. I have learned through time that this sight is wonderful, but always remember that women post their problems and complications on here way more than they post success stories. I clicked on post op forum and clicked on a recovery progress thread for women that had a hysterectomy a month ago and read all the posts. That way I could compare the recovery progress of Da Vinci patients to Abdominal patients. Helped me see that Da Vinci was the way to go for me!
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Thanks. I'm so nervous. My doctor didn't really talk to me alot about it on my last visit. He was patient and did ask me if I had any questions but I was still in shock that I had just been told I have adenomyosis, endometriosis, and a large cyst on one of my ovaries (I've already had surgery to remove the endo and cysts once before) and needed a hysterectomy. I couldn't think of any questions to ask. I have plenty for my pre-op visit. LOL He did say both ovaries and everything would be taken out. He said it would be done robotic but I think I will ask about the large uterus. I wish I could have thought about it when I was in the office. :-( I will be praying for you that your surgery goes well. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Research on here as much as you can before your next Dr. visit. It will help narrow down your list of questions for the Dr. and will make you a bit more educated when your Dr. starts giving you answers and telling you things.I'd be lost without this hystersisters forum!!
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM

To Butterflies and Cath,
I had the DVH on the 28th of March and would have to say that the pain has been very manageable compared to what I experienced pre-op. Dont be afraid to have a long list of questions for you pre-op visit. The more comfortable you are with the process the easier it will be. At my pre-op visit i asked my Dr. to explain exactly what would happen once i had been hooked up to IV and then wheeled into the OR. He patiently and very thoroughly began to go through the procedure step by step ......then a light bulb went on in my head...did I really need him to go on? I had full faith in him, I needed this done, I wanted it over with.....so did it really matter one way or another how he intended to remove my uterus? I decided it wasnt as important as dealing with how I would feel post-op and having a successful recovery.
Wishing you both the very best..with hugs.
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Yes ! I would too. Im so glad I found this place !
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks so much TLKnight ! I appreciate any info I can get! You're right I suppose. After all, I wouldn't have went to my gynecologist with my problem if I hadn't trusted him to fix it. I have had too much time to ponder and get extremely anxious about the whole thing. I am really looking forward to getting it overwith so I will feel better. I have suffered as you most likely had for a long time so I'm sure I would have to feel better once it done. Thanks again for your encouragement.I wish you all the best in your recovery.
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM

I had my DVH on 2/27 with both ovaries removed. My Dr left a piece of my cervix instead of making a cuff. I was extremely nervous about the robot until I talked to him and 2 of his other patients who had the same surgery. They were all very reassuring and I put my faith in my Dr and had it done.

I am so glad I did! I had so much pain before surgery as well as 3 previous procedures that didn't fix my problems.

My healing was pretty quick. I was up and walking around that night with some discomfort, but the pain was not as bad the 2nd day. Each day got a little easier.

I am now 5 weeks out and have been released to resume all my activities. I have no pain unless I do too much (like pushing the shopping cart).

I hope you both have as much success with your surgery as I have. It is so nice to live pain free.
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM

I am 6 months post DvH and would not change things. My recover was quick and almost pain free by a week time.
My Doc used the my little cuts to unhook the uterus and repair my bladder. everything was fused to my back... then everything including the cervix came out thru my vagina.
Education is key along with talking to your Doc.
My surgeon was great at answering questions but remember the questions have to be asked to get the answers.
Do not be afraid to enter your next visit with a list of questions written down.
good Luck
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM

I had Da Vinci assisted partial hysterectomy on 2/29. My uterus and fibroids were very large and couldn't be removed thru vagina so I also got a bikini line incision for everything to be removed. I sort of felt like I had 2 surgeries... if you have to cut me anyway then why do the 5 other cuts from the da Vinci I asked my dr. But without the da Vinci the incision would have been much bigger and a lot more invasive. Da Vinci is the way to go. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register