Scheduled LSH when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery? when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:38 AM
when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens the 1.5 hrs prior to surgery. My surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks at 730am, I have to be at the hospital at 630. What do they do to u during that time? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Re: when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

They prep you during that time.I had laparoscopy surgery 6 weeks ago and am scheduled April 4th for hysterectomy. When you check in you may have to sit in a waiting room a few minutes, but soon they take you to the prep room. They will have you change into hospital gown and put all your belongings in a bag.Different staff members and nurses will come in and start IV's and do any tests or blood work you Dr. may have ordered. You may get your pubic area shaved too. They also put those wrist bands on you at that time.The anesthesiologist as well as other staff members will come in with questions, things to tell you, and stacks of paperwork for you to sign.Toward the end they let your person in the waiting room come in and see you .( They did for me). My doctor came in also to chat. Seems like 4 different people all came in with stacks of papers and all asked similar questions. The time actually goes quite quickly once they take you back there. They were organized and seemed busy and moved things along at a fairly quick pace. Before you know it they will be wheeling you down the hall to surgery. They gave me a shot in the prep room, I remember saying goodby to my DH and being wheeled out, then don't remember a thing until recovery. I am only assuming this surgery's prep will be the same as my last.
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Lucky..i had to be there 2 hours before! Paperwork takes forver, then they take your vitals and ask you every question under the sun. Everything takes 10 times longer in the hospial!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Did u get shaved for a LAH ?
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Yup, they put in your IV's and ask a lot of the same questions repeatedly. I think they also want the time to ensure that you aren't freaking out because they don't want you to get in to the OR and panic. After they do all the prep and all the paperwork they take you in and each member of the operating team will go over what you are having done and confirm that they have your consent and that everyone is on the same page about what is happening. What I was not prepared for was how freezing the operating room was. It was seriously cold, which apparently reduces the risk of infection- I asked and apologized to the OR team that they had to be in there and should have been wearing parkas. I also thanked them all for being present and participating in my procedure. The last thing I remember was them saying "Awww.. how sweet" and then I woke up in recovery and telling the nurse that I needed to pee really bad- that was the catheter. I think I went home about four hours after surgery and it would have been sooner had I actually been able to pee when they took the catheter out. I had to go home with mine, but that is not typical.
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM

Well at least the cath goes in while ur under right? I had an ufe in dec and had that before I had the procedure I didn't like it but I survived. It didn't hurt I am just private so it was all about modesty for me.
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Well, the first time it went in when I was under, but they take it out to make sure you are peeing properly when you are awake. If, like me, you can't pee enough they put it back in. Sorry. :-(
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Ok so peeing is the key... Got it. :-) what we go through to get our lived back....
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM

For me the time between check in and surgery was for vitals, quick meeting with the dr, changing, iv, start antibiotics, and prelim "make you relax" meds. They shaved me and did the cath once I was asleep. All of my paper work was done during my pre op the week before surgery.
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Oh. I like that way April ... Wish I could put my 2 cents in or get a vote. The less trauma the better. I like the idea of pre meds to " relax". My doc gave me some for the time up to the surgery cause I tend to freak myself out. But so far just my many questions and posts.... Have I said lately I am so glad I found this site? U guys are angels talk about women power! Thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register