Scheduled LSH when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery? when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Re: when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

I was taken back from the waiting room an hour and a half before the surgery. They asked for a urine specimen and gave me a gown with the "everything off underneath and get into the bed." . They started an IV, drew some blood. My husband was allowed to stay with me the whole time. The Anesthesiologist came in and gave the nurse some orders. I had an EKG, because I had an abnormal one with my preop. The Gyn came in and gave me the low down, risks involved etc. Signed some consent forms. The nurse gave me something to help me relax. Kissed my Husband and they wheeled me to the OR. BRIGHT LIGHTS! They had me move from the bed to the table. Told me they were going to give me something to make me go to sleep. They put the mask on me and the next thing I knew I was waking up in Recovery. The time was just right before hand, not too much to have time to be anxious, not too short to feel rushed and unprepared. Good luck! You'll be glad it's over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Had my surgery last November. Surgery was @ 7am, had to be there @ 5am. All the paperwork was done in the preop visit. It moved very quickly. Did a couple of labs, changed, put the iv in. Talked to the anesthesia guy. They brought my husband back. Then they wheeled me back, did the pre op meds, saw the dr, met with some observing nursing students. I remember them turning the gurney and starting to go through the double doors, and that was it. Next thing I remember was waking up in my room.
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM

My husband & I went into a small room with a bathroom, I had to give a urine specimen & put on a gown. All my clothes/shoes were bagged for me & given to my husband. They drew blood & started an IV with fluids & antibiotics. The anesthesiologist came in to look in my throat & go over the procedure & what he does & had me sign a form. My gyn came in to go over the procedure again & marked on my abdomen an X on my right side as that ovary was going to be removed. He also had me sign a form.
They put on stockings to prevent blood clots on my legs. They were nice, like getting a massage every few minutes.
I got a quick kiss from my hubby & the surgical nurses took me away. My husband got to wait in the hospital room I would go to once surgery was complete.
I did not need to shave anything nor did they do it for me.
I got moved over onto a thin table with arm extenders and was strapped in. Was very cold, they put a warm blanket over my chest. I breathed in a few breaths of medicated oxygen & out I was!
I woke up in the recovery room later & was so very glad it was over. I didn't enjoy the catheter (glad they put it in while I was asleep) but happy I didn't have to get up to pee anytime soon.
I got some pain meds & was moved to my room where my smiling husband awaited.
I have a small (1") incision on my lower pelvic area, a 2" incision at my navel and about a 3" one on my right side of pelvis. The larger one is where I had the most pain. My navel was numb from a previous surgery.
A few hours after resting I was able to sit at the side of the bed & wash my face & brush my teeth. Then about 8 hours after that I had the catheter removed & walked to the bathroom. Not easy but felt good to stand.
I was in the hospital about 22 hours total.
Definately take a pillow to put over your belly on the ride home.

Good luck, it was a great decision for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM

I had mine in outpatient surgery. My doctor did tell me the possibilities of having to spend the night however. I had to check in by 5:30 that morning. YIKES. My surgery wasn't until 7:00. I had several nurses come in and do various things, IV etc. My husband was allowed back with me the entire time. They wheeled me to a room in the Women's Pavilion until it was time. I saw even more nurses and staff there. Both places I did tons of paperwork. About 6:50 they came and wheeled me to surgery. My surgery took 3 1/2 hours and I woke up in recovery. Once I was somewhat alert they wheeled me into a different room in the Women's Pavilion and my husband was there waiting for me. I had some bad nausea and something about my oxygen levels and they kept me until around 6:00 that evening and let me go home. It was quite a tiring day!
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Well for me...It was take me up to my room, get changed, and then they got my weight, tried to start and iv, got some blood work, and then we waited in the room for a while bc they had an emergency c-section...then they wheeled me and my bed to the pre surgical area...there they finally got my iv going, met every person that was going to be in the or with me, my doc stopped by, they shaved me, gave me my nausea patch and meds, put those wonderful leg pumps on me, and finally off to the or we went!
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM

my surgery was in 2009 had to be at the hospital by 6:30 am surgery was to be at 8:00am but the dr was running a little over with a prior surgery my surgery did not start into around 10:30am I signed some paperwork again, went to the pre-op room joked around with the staff(we had fun) next thing I knew my dr was coming into the room to talk to me and had me wheeled into the operating room they put that mask on my next thing I knew I was in the recovering room next stop I was admitted into the hospital for a day and half...........had a LAVH......................
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM

So did u guys get a foley or shaved prior before surgery?
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM

I don't really know. They told me to get there at 8:30 for a 10:30 surgery, so I did only to find out that my surgery had been moved to 9, and nobody had told me. So I know it is possible to get you ready in 20 minutes if they all rush around like a bunch of chickens. Personally, I was quite happy that I didn't have a lot of time beforehand, but it wasn't my fault that they had to rush.

No shaving or anything, but I did, um, tidy things up down there, and I noticed that my scar is being grown over right now.
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM

I had to change into a gown, get my IV port inserted in my arm, talk to my doctor, the assistant surgeon and the anesthesiologist. My doctor looked at my blood work. Then the anesthesiologist gave me the happy shot and I was taken back to surgery. The catheter was inserted after I was put under. No shaving for me. I was so out of it by the time I got in the operating room, I didn't care about anything. I remember all the OR personnel in there introducing themselves and me feeling like I had to properly acknowledge them, and apparently it was funny because they were giggling. The last thing I remember is my anesthesiologist reaching over me. I woke up about 3 hours later in recovery.
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Really yours was outpatient?? I honestly think you are the first person I've ever heard of having this surgery as an outpatient...I couldn't imagine...I truly enjoyed staying in the hospital...I knew from the start I was going to be in there at least 2 days...wow!!! Good for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoofydumps View Post
I had mine in outpatient surgery. My doctor did tell me the possibilities of having to spend the night however. I had to check in by 5:30 that morning. YIKES. My surgery wasn't until 7:00. I had several nurses come in and do various things, IV etc. My husband was allowed back with me the entire time. They wheeled me to a room in the Women's Pavilion until it was time. I saw even more nurses and staff there. Both places I did tons of paperwork. About 6:50 they came and wheeled me to surgery. My surgery took 3 1/2 hours and I woke up in recovery. Once I was somewhat alert they wheeled me into a different room in the Women's Pavilion and my husband was there waiting for me. I had some bad nausea and something about my oxygen levels and they kept me until around 6:00 that evening and let me go home. It was quite a tiring day!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register