was my doc wrong? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

was my doc wrong? was my doc wrong?

Unread 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
was my doc wrong?

Hi ladies...I am three weeks post op last Friday.... I had a di vinci hyst, with ovaries, uterus, and cervix taken.... my doc told me at my one week post op that I could do anything I wanted, as far as drive, not to lift over 30 lbs, go walking for distance, just no sex of course, but do what I felt like and if I got tired .... rest.

I have been doing pretty good... and know that I have overdone it on several occasions.... but yesterday... was really bad! It was Sunday and I was really uncomfortable... Saturday, I had taken all of the cushions off of the out door furniture and was scrubbing them down, this was after walking a mile on the treadmill at a very good pace.... now I am paying for it.... and what is weird is that my right side has almost no pain but my left side really hurts... it feels like pulling and pinching, and burning, etc....
I had a very large dermoid cyst on my left ovary.... and my uterus was twice the normal size...

any thoughts or suggestions?!?!?!?

thanks ladies... for your time and take it from me... rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Re: was my doc wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie007 View Post
Hi ladies...I am three weeks post op last Friday.... I had a di vinci hyst, with ovaries, uterus, and cervix taken.... my doc told me at my one week post op that I could do anything I wanted, as far as drive, not to lift over 30 lbs, go walking for distance, just no sex of course, but do what I felt like and if I got tired .... rest.

I have been doing pretty good... and know that I have overdone it on several occasions.... but yesterday... was really bad! It was Sunday and I was really uncomfortable... Saturday, I had taken all of the cushions off of the out door furniture and was scrubbing them down, this was after walking a mile on the treadmill at a very good pace.... now I am paying for it.... and what is weird is that my right side has almost no pain but my left side really hurts... it feels like pulling and pinching, and burning, etc....
I had a very large dermoid cyst on my left ovary.... and my uterus was twice the normal size...

any thoughts or suggestions?!?!?!?

thanks ladies... for your time and take it from me... rest!
My left side is the worse, but of course, I had a very large endometrioma on my left ovary. I had always had more problems on that side. Doc says it's OK, that side will probably take longer to heal because there was so much more involved with getting my ovary out. The pulling, pinching, etc. is very normal, even with normal movement, for me. And I've been sticking to the rules pretty tight! It gets better I'll be 5 weeks post op Wednesday, and the pain is virtually gone after I bled a bit Saturday. Now, if I could just get this belly to go away....... !!!!
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few doctors who underplay the seriousness of an hysterectomy, as a major operation.

With as TAH, at least you have a big incision as a visible sign, and reminder of what you have been through.

With a DvH, there are only a few small incisions to see.
What has gone on inside though is still MAJOR surgery.
Lots of internal organs have been removed, ligaments cut and reattached, nerves and blood vessels cut, and for some women adhesions from other surgeries repaired as well.

The Doc has tried to be reassuring, but you need to be more realistic.
Please have a look at the hysterectomy checkpoints up above, and take things more steadily.

There is a good list of Do's and Don't, like the lifting of weights, but also not stretching, pushing, pulling, tugging, while internal stitches are still healing.

Walking is good, but build up speed and distance gradually, as your body allows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM

hi tootie. my surgery was a day after you and since day 1 of post op i have been trying to take it very very easy. i was told not to lift anything at all for 6wks, and pretty much do nothing but walk everyday at a comfy easy pace for short periods throughout the day and do kegal exercises,,and when i did try to do more i felt it right away as pains and cramps would start...ime really taking precautions to what i do as ive read over and over to take it easy as this is first chance to heal right and not have surgical repairs later...i dont know if surgery by da vini has different requirements as i didnt have a da vinci, but i would think it still pertains to being gentle on yourself when doing anything..one morning i even tried pulling back the window curtains to let the morning light in but even doing that as i had to lean over the couch and reach over and forward and after a few min later pain shot up my left side.even doing dishes as i wash with the cloth wiping and turning and scrubbing ime careful not to use too much strength. this is all new to me and so ime careful.... every persons healing time is different in what and when we can do and add a little bit more at a time, main thing ive learned is take it slow, do little things easy at a time and our bodies will tell us where were at i would think...i really want to be back in my pre surgery routine as ime having hard time not being able to do anything as well, but i know to heal safely i have to....i would suggest for to you to give your doc a call and share with him whats happening, its better to go see doc, be safe not sorry later...i hope this helps you..Peace be with you
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM

My doc told me pretty much the same thing at 2 weeks post op. I still babied myself. I am coming up on 6 weeks soon and I feel great. I still have not done any of my Zumba or Jillian workouts, but I get on the treadmill, work in the garden, heck I even raked the lawn yesterday. I am still tired - but I am having chemo so I blame that.
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM

When someone says something crazy i always say "are you smoking crack??!!...those words are being said in my mind about your dr right now.

I drive a 6 hr trip last Thurs so my kids could see their dad for spring break and i paid for it!! By the end of the drive my seat was reclined and i was leaning toward the middle..looked like one of those kid drivers with the stereo blasting except i am old in a mini van : )
At one week there is no way I would have listened to do what you want..At 2 weeks i was getting more stubborn and doing more than i should and today is 3 weeks for me and still doing more than i probably should, but less than i used to. Rest and enjoy the time recouping cause soon we will be back to doing it all
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM

You ladies are all so wonderful to share with me... I really appreciate it...
I spent most of the day yesterday crying because I was so upset that I did not take it easier.... I have not done anything too crazy up until now... I can tell if I have been on my feet too long... that is my worst habit in this... and my legs will start to ache... rest makes it better... but after this weekend... I realized that I should listen to my good sense and not push myself. I was feeling good and it was not difficult to do any of the things that I did... HOWEVER it became clear that I did too much by yesterday and today... I have been in bed all day
I actually took a pain pill which I have not done since day 2 following surgery!
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM

As my nurse practioner said...get yourself back on the couch and stay there. Take it easy, you'll be back at it soon enough.
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth L View Post
As my nurse practioner said...get yourself back on the couch and stay there. Take it easy, you'll be back at it soon enough.

I second that! I have yet to rid myself of the guilt of taking it easy, but I've done it because I know I have to or I won't heal well. Even this far along in recovery, I know better than to push it!
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM

I am scared I did something bad!
Has anyone over done it an taken a dozen steps back?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register