Pre Op Exercises? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre Op Exercises? Pre Op Exercises?

Unread 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Pre Op Exercises?

Hi All,
I am looking for advice for exercises to do prior to the surgery so that I heal faster, better, etc. I've been doing crunches, weight lifting, and cardio, 5 - 6 days a week in prep for my big date on April 17th. I figure I will not be able to do as much post op and want to start with as healthy a muscle system as possible.

Any advice on specific exercises?

Also trying to eat wisely but am a stress eater so that has been difficult!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Re: Pre Op Exercises?

Good luck with your surgery. I too am exercising with pilates and 20 minutes walk everyday. I went to the health food store and bought some green vibrance which is amazing. Super Green foods and would highly recommend it.
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:49 PM

I've been taking a weights class 1-2 x a week and running 3x a week. It seems to keep the oxygen flowing and the muscles building! I also do planks and use a medicine for some ab work. I think having good upper body strength and core strength will aid in getting up/out of bed and overall recovery. I also have used Trader Joe's Super Green powder in some fresh carrot juice (full of vitamin A which I hear is good for recovery) but have stopped that this week since my surgery is on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the tips! I looked at Trader Joes and only found Very Green Supplement. I got it because it sounds like what you were recommending.

I am doing the stairstepper 60 minutes 5 days a week and then add in weights for upper body, legs, and some exercise where you hang and then bring your legs up in an L. Not sure what that is called. I also do reverse curls which is good for your back. I suppose I should add in the plank asn that's similar to pilates and good for your core.

Do you know if you can do these exercises after surgery? I am sure there is a healing time but wondering if you can ever do them again... I have my pre-op appt on Wednesday and will ask the doc but I'm wondering what you have heard.

Thank you all so much for your advice and hope all goes well for you in your procedure and afterwards!
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM

My friend, who is an instructor, had a partial hysterectomy (i guess that means just the uterus?)about 2-3 years ago. I told her that i was planning to get a hysterectomy and my dr said i could return to the gym after a week-but no lifting or bouncing exercises. my friend didn't think that was realistic and thought a month. i teach a cycling class and wondered if i could teach by the 4th week. i think i could if i use the bike more like a stationary bike and stay seated w\o a lot of tension. i'd be interested to read what your dr says.
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:57 AM

Well, I have amazing news! I went in for my pre-op appointment and my doc said my prolapse has improved to the point that I do not need surgery! I am still in shock. She is puting me on a dermal medication for incontinence issues but said at this point that is all she would recommend. She wanted to know what I had been doing as she remembered how bad the prolapse was and I told her just core exercises, weight lifting and serious cardio. She said that hardly ever happens but said to keep it up and come back in three weeks, late in the day for a follow up. Said it might have been just the time of day, my activity level etc... So, we'll see. It's a good thing but my mouth is still hanging open...

Regarding the exercise question you had linniechanel: my doc is all for being active. She says it's a quality of life thing for her. She doesn't want her patients depressed. While an active life style may cause more wear on the surgery, she believes if you understand that it's the price you pay for being happy and healthy. All your body parts wear out was her comment. She does not recommend bed rest. No driving for about two weeks, and allow three months for your scar tissue to fill in before you lift anything over 20 pounds.

I was really encouraged that she told me that the surgery shouldn't hold me back from any activity that I wanted to do in the future. Exercise and activity is so important to my being in a happy mental state!

I hope that answered all your questions. Not sure what your surgery is to be but mine was a mesh sling to correct prolapse. Also overies and uterus removed.
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:00 AM

Oh and she did say she doesn't recommend squats or lunges. She said that they left the pelvic area too open with too much stress. But, I can do without those! LOL!
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:04 AM

Hi ladies, I had a TAH in July for Endo/ca. I had to wait one month for surgeryvand I worked out at the gym every day. It helped with the pre op anxiety but the big benefit was that I went into surgery really fit. This helped my recovery and my strong legs took over from the weak abdomen after the TAH. I was back at the gym at week 8 and while I got a little more tired than normal I felt better and the swelly belly went down with the exercise.
Hope this will help you too
Hugs. Pamper the Princess
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:33 PM

Thanks suzan01! I believe my hysterectomy will be laproscopic removing only the uterus. I'll know more monday when my surgery date is confirmed. i totally agree that exercise adds to the quality of my life. I'm not the type to lie in bed even when i'm pretty sick. i will take it easy in the beginning, but i know i'll be texting all my friends at the gym to find out what is going on. I'm more of a cardio person, so i can back off from lifting weights.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register