Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18) Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18)

Unread 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy (5/18)

I went to my gyn knowing the possibility of him saying it is time for a hysterectomy. I have been bleeding since January of this year.

Two years ago, I was in the ER with very heavy bleeding. The four hours I was there was very upsetting to me. I had a D&C later in the week, rested for a week then went back to work. An ablation surgery was scheduled soon after.

I hope that I will not have any complications.

I am tired of the spotting.

I am also tired of feeling crampy and bloated, that seemed to start up after seeing my dr. this week.

I am trying to believe that once this is over i will be relieved and happy that I am no longer having the bleeding. I am trying to believe that since my uterus is not working like it should, that the cyst is causing me problems, that I don't need this organ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Re: Wrapping my mind around having a hysterectomy

I am three weeks post-op and am starting to feel like a new woman. I had problems for over two years having heavy bleeding, then I had abdominal and back pain and thought I had a kidney stone for a year when it was really a big fibroid and ovarian cysts and not diagnosed by my family doctor. I didn't put two and two together until my GYN uttered the word hysterectomy. My anxiety heading into surgery was high. I had to schedule 5 weeks out and getting used to the idea and dealing with the worsening symptoms for that long was by FAR the worst part of all of this experience for me. The surgery went well. Coming out of it and my stay at the hospital (overnight) was not nearly as bad as I imagined it would be. I had cramps for the first few days but I am so excited that they are gone for good! Although the first three or four days were rough. Lots of discomfort but the pain wasn't too bad as long as I stayed on top of my pain meds. I had light spotting that I wasn't prepared for, but reading the information here and talking with my doctor has eased my mind. The two weeks following surgery were challenging but I behaved and didn't push myself too much. Now at three weeks, I am seeing progress almost every day and compared to a week ago I feel so much better. Just being on this side of the surgery was a light at the end of the tunnel and it is SO worth it for me at the end of three weeks! Hang in there, I'll be rooting for you!
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM

RockiesSister,

This Hysterectomy is the second major surgery I have had to have.

I will be having Da vinci Robotic surgery.

I will be glad when the light at the end of the tunnel comes.

I am quite tired, crampy, and backachy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2012, 11:43 PM

I wanted to add that I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I am concerned what recovery is going to be like for me.

I will be glad that there will be an overnight stay. I worry about what recovery is going to be like.

I remember what my c-section recovery was like. Painful.
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Do you have help when you get home? Recovery has not been a walk in the park, but it's just so nice to get it behind you. I did too much yesterday (my three week anniversary) and had a very rough night. The thing that is nice is that at least the symptoms that you have been dealing with related to the need for surgery are eliminated, and the pain of the surgery will be gone before too long.
Unread 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenaeKayte View Post
I will be glad that there will be an overnight stay. I worry about what recovery is going to be like.

Hi! I had the daVinci on Feb. 1st. My recovery was amazing! It is nothing at all like a c-section. There are 4 little holes in my tummy and everything was removed vaginally. I had 9 fibroids (2 which were huge), endometriosis and adenomyosis. I had severe bleeding and pain for 5-6 years. I knew I needed a hyster but kept putting it off.

When I woke up from surgery, I had no pain just some discomfort. I never used the morphine pump or narcotics they gave me. I had an overnight stay in the hospital. I did take prescription motrin every now and then when I felt achy. I was back on my feet in about 3 days and able to work from home. I went back to work at the office on Day 8 for a few hours 3 days a week. I did have a few minor problems with my bladder and a vaginal infection that was from the bentadine they use to clean you out with after surgery. Nothing major, though. You will have to take it easy for several weeks and don't try to resume normal activities until week 6-8. I am at 9.5 weeks now and feel fabulous. The best part - no more severe bleeding or pain. The worst part - the gas pains from the CO they pump into you during surgery. My only regret is not doing is sooner. Good luck! I think you will do fine!
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out from TVH with A/P repair. I know it's hard to prepare yourself for the unknown ahead, even with lots of help and support like this site. Be prepared for a roller-coaster ride of up days and down days for several weeks, but know that it DOES get better! I'm just now starting to get the benefits of having had the surgery. I wasn't comfortable before I had it-- ever! Now I'm only uncomfortable sometimes, and I'm absolutely sure it will pass. Keep on trucking, sister!
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM

My husband will be home with me only a couple days. Do you recommend that I have help beyond that time???

The Dr. said I am not a candidate for vaginal removal of my uterus. He will remove it through my abdomen.

Getting better is exactly what I want, I am tired of the spotting and clots I have been experiencing.
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenaeKayte View Post
I wanted to add that I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I am concerned what recovery is going to be like for me.

I have Lupus, which is also an autoimmune disease. I believe having this condition has greatly affected my recovery. I am 9 months post op and still swelling and having significant pain every day. Here is a link to the pre op articles. You will find one article on chronic health conditions and two on fibromyalgia. I urge you to speak to your rheumatologist prior to your surgery to get his/her opinion. Even thouh I did this and it didn't help me, hopefully your rheumatologist is more knowledgable than mine and has some useful information and tips for you.

I agree, wrapping your head around this surgery is difficult. It is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever been through. And I've been through some stuff! Make sure you are informed and are making the choice that is best for you.

Wishing you with your surgery.
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM

I forgot one thing in the last post.

How long did you have someone with you after surgery???

I am having surgery on May 18th (it has changed since I started this thread), which is a Friday and I will be getting out on Saturday, then home the whole weekend.

I am just wondering if I will need someone home with me three days after surgery.

SugarandSpice,

Thank you for your advice. I remember how I felt after having gall bladder surgery. It took me a while to get past exhaustion.

For me the time leading up to this surgery is making me exhausted. I think I am going to need to get help picking up the house and getting laundry done before the surgery. So much to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register